Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
So I agree with folks when they say it's not good to compare the insight to a telsa....they are both in different leagues in my eyes. If I could afford a pure electric run, or a plug-in - maybe I would have gotten it. But because it was about 10k over my price range, I went with a hybrid.

Now my old boss owns a Telsa 3 (he had a Nissan Leaf before it) and I've been in a couple times. Lovely car and drives pretty nicely. He doesn't have to autopilot features because he didn't want to pay another 5k for them. Seems like thats a cheap thing Telsa did, since the car is capable of it. As an engineer the one thing that struck me about the Telsa was how different it was. You have to learn how to open the door, since its flush with the body. It's a whole different car you need to learn. So of course, I asked my old boss if he read the manual - to which he said no. So I read the Telsa 3 manual and found out an interesting thing...beyond the plethora of camera on the car pointing outwards...there is a camera pointing inwards that the manual states (will be used at a future time). So basically, Telsa could spy on your while your driving if they wanted to. I didn't drive it myself so can't comment on driving one...but it did seem cool. I didn't like the lack of gauges in front of you though.

My insight is my first hybrid. I actually lost a lot of features by going with the EX from my old car. I had a Ford Focus Titanium. I gave up leather seats, dual climate control, and sunroom. But I did that because I wanted bigger trunk space and better gas mileage...because thats why I'm getting a hybrid.

In short...I would expect a Telsa 3 to be better than an insight...because it costs a lot more than one. A fair comparison for the insight would be a the Prius or Ioniq.

So I agree with folks when they say it's not good to compare the insight to a telsa....they are both in different leagues in my eyes. If I could afford a pure electric run, or a plug-in - maybe I would have gotten it. But because it was about 10k over my price range, I went with a hybrid.

Now my old boss owns a Telsa 3 (he had a Nissan Leaf before it) and I've been in a couple times. Lovely car and drives pretty nicely. He doesn't have to autopilot features because he didn't want to pay another 5k for them. Seems like thats a cheap thing Telsa did, since the car is capable of it. As an engineer the one thing that struck me about the Telsa was how different it was. You have to learn how to open the door, since its flush with the body. It's a whole different car you need to learn. So of course, I asked my old boss if he read the manual - to which he said no. So I read the Telsa 3 manual and found out an interesting thing...beyond the plethora of camera on the car pointing outwards...there is a camera pointing inwards that the manual states (will be used at a future time). So basically, Telsa could spy on your while your driving if they wanted to. I didn't drive it myself so can't comment on driving one...but it did seem cool. I didn't like the lack of gauges in front of you though.

My insight is my first hybrid. I actually lost a lot of features by going with the EX from my old car. I had a Ford Focus Titanium. I gave up leather seats, dual climate control, and sunroom. But I did that because I wanted bigger trunk space and better gas mileage...because thats why I'm getting a hybrid.

In short...I would expect a Telsa 3 to be better than an insight...because it costs a lot more than one. A fair comparison for the insight would be a the Prius or Ioniq.
“In some embodiments, the circuitry may be configured to execute a first level of customization in the vehicle based on the defined user preferences in the identified driver profile of the first occupant. For example, the electrically powered adjustable components, such as the driver seat, vehicle mirrors (e.g., the ORVM), front mirror, radio, music preferences, and driving mode preferences, may be adjusted in accordance with the user preferences in the driver profile of the first occupant. The circuitry may be configured to communicate a plurality of control signals to one or more other ECUs to initiate the adjustments in accordance with the user preferences in the driver profile of the first occupant.”
Tesla mentioned the interior camera will be use in the future to configure driver settings.

I came from a leased Ford Fusion Titanium and to also replace my old 09 Civic. I wanted a compact car again for better maneuverability and reliability like my Civic.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Engineering Explained at 9m:49s rips on the VW ID4 for no option to shut off "creep" mode and not having one pedal option.

The Insight, a car driven by electric motor without torque converter should have an option to turn off creep.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.