Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for some reason, the navigation in our Touring changed from english (feet, miles) to metric (meters, kilometers). This just happened this weekend, previously it was english. I've searched the owner's manual and the navigation manual, but I don't find anything that even comes close to saying where or how to change this setting. Does anyone know how to change this?

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
With "this weekend" including the start of daylight savings time, I wonder if something happened when "auto time update" occurred? Did your temperature units change to C instead of F as well?

In addition to what Mr. Natural mentioned, the other place where km or mi can be selected is for the trip computer under Vehicle --> Meter Setup --> Speed/Distance Units. Unsure if changing this in "trip" affects "navigation" units, but might be worth checking as well.

Lastly, this might be extreme, but have you considered resetting the navigation to factory default? Navigation --> Settings --> About --> Restore Navigation Settings --> Restore

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you inadvertently change the dash gauges from mph to kph?
View attachment 1258
This is that setting that will only display the digital speed in Kph in US and Mph in Canada. I checked that it is not set to KPH. And I switched it to KPH and back to Mph (no digital display), but it made no difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
With "this weekend" including the start of daylight savings time, I wonder if something happened when "auto time update" occurred? Did your temperature units change to C instead of F as well?

In addition to what Mr. Natural mentioned, the other place where km or mi can be selected is for the trip computer under Vehicle --> Meter Setup --> Speed/Distance Units. Unsure if changing this in "trip" affects "navigation" units, but might be worth checking as well.

Lastly, this might be extreme, but have you considered resetting the navigation to factory default? Navigation --> Settings --> About --> Restore Navigation Settings --> Restore
This was noticed on Saturday, before the time change. Unknown how long it had been in kph, but I know it has always previously been mph. I went into the settings >>>speed/distance units as you suggested. It was already in mph. Nonetheless, I switched it to kph and it changed the display on the gauges panel, but not the navigation. Changed it back to mph, but it had no affect on the navigation display. :sad:

So navigation is still stuck showing meter/kilometers. I may have to go to the dealer to see what hidden knowledge they have to fix it. Don't want to do the restore - I shouldn't have to.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
This was noticed on Saturday, before the time change. Unknown how long it had been in kph, but I know it has always previously been mph. I went into the settings >>>speed/distance units as you suggested. It was already in mph. Nonetheless, I switched it to kph and it changed the display on the gauges panel, but not the navigation. Changed it back to mph, but it had no affect on the navigation display. :sad:

So navigation is still stuck showing meter/kilometers. I may have to go to the dealer to see what hidden knowledge they have to fix it. Don't want to do the restore - I shouldn't have to.
I don't have a touring insight but have you try looking in "navigation settings"? Also I found this thread in the accord forum with someone experiencing the same issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tested for this today and can verify that changing the trip meter from miles to km also changes the navigation system.
This does not work on mine. It is stuck in km. I took it to the local Honda dealer (they are very good). We had three guys trying to fix it for nearly an hour. They all tried the same things we discussed here. Nothing worked, including the Nav>Restore settings. They suggested that I try a map update and/or a complete reset (forgot what it was called) that would erase all settings. Well, the map update doesn't work, I get an error message. Haven't tried a system reset, don't want to lose everything yet. They are going to get with honda and see if they know anything and let me know - I don't have much hope.

Glad I have carplay and Waze!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to have the navigation measurement units fixed because we were going on a trip last weekend. I never did try the hard reboot before leaving. So we were about 3 hours into the trip using Waze on Apple Carplay when I noticed that the whole nav system, radio, and the whole entertainment console (whatever it’s called) had frozen up. None of the buttons or touch screen worked. Waze wasn’t updating our position. I thought about stopping somewhere and turning off the car and restarting it, but first I just unplugged my phone from the USB. The screen was still frozen for about 30 seconds, but then it went off and restarted.

Guess what, when it restarted it was back in feet/miles! It has stayed that way for a few days now and many start/stops. Hope it stays that way.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I wanted to have the navigation measurement units fixed because we were going on a trip last weekend. I never did try the hard reboot before leaving. So we were about 3 hours into the trip using Waze on Apple Carplay when I noticed that the whole nav system, radio, and the whole entertainment console (whatever it’s called) had frozen up. None of the buttons or touch screen worked. Waze wasn’t updating our position. I thought about stopping somewhere and turning off the car and restarting it, but first I just unplugged my phone from the USB. The screen was still frozen for about 30 seconds, but then it went off and restarted.

Guess what, when it restarted it was back in feet/miles! It has stayed that way for a few days now and many start/stops. Hope it stays that way.
That tablet is actually on all the time even after you turn off your car. The crash probably forced a hard reboot which fixed whatever glitch was causing that issue for you. There is a secret sequence with the push button shifter that can trigger a hard reboot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, didn't know that. Do you think that sequence will work with our pushbutton shifter instead of that stick? Anyone tried it yet?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Navigation giving me metric directions

Somehow my navigation is outputting metric units. I.e. "Turn in 500 meters." Everything else is in standard units. Could not find in manual how to reset back to English units. Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Reboot worked. Here is how to do it: foot on brake, start, pause 1 second, put in reverse, pause 1 second, put in neutral. The splash screen will come on and the OK will be grayed out, then become active. You can go to system, and about to look at up time. It should have reset if it worked. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 insight change nav system from meters to miles

I have a 2019 Insight and the navigation system displays distance in meters and i can't find a way to change it to miles. I have spent time on the phone with the dealer where i bought the car and they tell me I should be able to use the steering wheel controls to change the instrument panel and nav system to miles. I can change the instrument panel from miles to meters and back using the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel but the navigation system only displays meters. I can also change the instrument panel using the settings in the center (radio) display but still cant change the nav system.

I also own a 2018 Accord and can change the navigation system to meters and back to miles using the thumb wheel on the left side of the steering wheel.

I'm not used to being told to make a turn in 400 kilometers.

I took the car to a dealer in another town while on a road trip last week and one of the sales people came out and pushed a lot of buttons. He finally gave up. later i found that the left side of the instrument panel when set to display navigation no longer showed the street that i am on or the compass.

Do any of you know how to change the navigation system to miles or get the compass back when navigation is selected using the steering wheel controls?

Shay

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
I have a 2019 Insight and the navigation system displays distance in meters and i can't find a way to change it to miles. I have spent time on the phone with the dealer where i bought the car and they tell me I should be able to use the steering wheel controls to change the instrument panel and nav system to miles. I can change the instrument panel from miles to meters and back using the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel but the navigation system only displays meters. I can also change the instrument panel using the settings in the center (radio) display but still cant change the nav system.
[...]
I took the car to a dealer in another town while on a road trip last week and one of the sales people came out and pushed a lot of buttons. He finally gave up. later i found that the left side of the instrument panel when set to display navigation no longer showed the street that i am on or the compass.

Do any of you know how to change the navigation system to miles or get the compass back when navigation is selected using the steering wheel controls?
Welcome to the forum, but sorry you're having these difficulties... and that two dealers haven't been able to help! Merged your thread/question into an existing one we have on same prior topic of metric units being "stuck" on.

Try the "infotainment reboot" steps mentioned in post #10 of this thread, which has helped at least a couple people with the same issue. The reboot will re-start the infotainment system (without eliminating any of your prior settings). Hoping this helps your situation as well.

The infotainment system is always running even when the car is powered down, so some forum members use this reboot process as a periodic 'maintenance' technique to keep the head unit functioning properly. We've also started a separate thread, dedicated just to the "reboot" topic - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2602-infotainment-system-restarting-rebooting-instructions.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2019 Insight nav system was locked in metric mode. Changing between miles and kilometers using the steering wheel would change the instrument panel but not the nav system. I took the car the the dealer where i purchased the car and the corrected the problem. I ask how the problem was corrected and was told that the technician removed power from the nav system and let it totally discharge then reapplied power.

I don't know where the power was disconnected. I don't think the 12v battery was disconnected as nothing else seamed to be reset.

Shay

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
My 2019 Insight nav system was locked in metric mode. Changing between miles and kilometers using the steering wheel would change the instrument panel but not the nav system. I took the car the the dealer where i purchased the car and the corrected the problem. I ask how the problem was corrected and was told that the technician removed power from the nav system and let it totally discharge then reapplied power.

I don't know where the power was disconnected. I don't think the 12v battery was disconnected as nothing else seamed to be reset.
Were you able to try the infotainment reboot process (linked/mentioned above) before bringing to dealer? Or did the steps not work to resolve your the metric distance issue?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts