Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,806 Posts

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm new to the group and need some help with my 2020 Insight. I'm trying to update the map and I got to the point on the Garmin Express where you hit Install and it tries to locate my USB flash drive but, it can't find it.
It sounds like your flash drive lacks FAT32 formatting. Also double check that sequence-wise, the USB drive gets inserted before the car is turned on. These are listed as a "preparation" step in instructions @Mr. Natural shared in the first post of this thread.

As resources for FAT32 formatting, @JK919 mentioned in this other thread that Samsung USBs are formatted in exFAT rather than FAT32, and there are some links to formatters within that thread. Additional info on the FAT32 pre-formatting step is shared in this other thread, as the step is also needed for wallpaper install from USB.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm new to the group and need some help with my 2020 Insight. I'm trying to update the map and I got to the point on the Garmin Express where you hit Install and it tries to locate my USB flash drive but, it can't find it. It gives me the option to select the actually drive in a drop down box but, when I select and hit continue it gives me a message about putting in a memory card that has at least 11gb of free space but, a flash drive with less than 32gb of total memory. I've attached a photo of the flash drive I'm trying to use. I'll try and post a photo of the error message I'm getting tomorrow. Thank you for any help that can be proved!
I had to try five different flash drives. I know all about formating, but the drives refused to work. The one that finally worked was a 16GB Lexar drive I bought at Staples.If they are not recognized, they are probably mis formatted. When the fail part way through the flash, try a different brand of drive. When my first one failed, I reformatted, redownloaded, attempted a reflash. Failed at a different percentage, but still failed. I tried three times before changing drives. Some drives failed almost instantly. Others took longer. I have USB 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 drives. Looks like the one that finally worked is a USB 2.1 drive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I was able to find a combination of stuff I had laying around the house I was able to use that worked lol... I found one of my old school 16 micro SD cards, a SD card adapter and a memory card reader. When I downloaded the map update to the card it took about two hours to download. However, this morning it only took 30 minutes to install the update on my Insight. After I got home from work today I downloaded the map update for my wife's 2019 Accord Touring which only took 30 minutes to download and then about 30 minutes to install on her car. I guess I'm going to reformat the other USB flash drive and download some music on it for use. I remember seeing another post on here on how to do that. So, wish me luck lol...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Verdier I've actually watched your YouTube video to see what I might have missed but, I figure it out that the USB flash drive I was trying to use wasn't supported by the Garmin Express software. I have a bunch of flash drives and memory cards at home that I was able to go through and find something that actually worked. Thank you for the video help though... Also thank you for your other videos which I have also watched for help with installing my interior LED bulbs. I still haven't found the size / model bulb for the vanity mirror yet. Do you know what that is by chance?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you plug the usb drive into the car first before bringing it to the computer? Also the usb drive has to be formatted to FAT32 before plugging it into the car.

Yeah I formated the card in my computer first to fat32 and then plugged it into my car USB port before turning on the car. The part where I was having an issue was where you go to download the map update to the card it wasn't recognizing the card. It kept on give me and option to select the computer drive where the USB flash drive was plugged into and when I would select and tell it to continue it would tell me that I needed a card that meet the requirements of a USB drive larger then a 11gb but, no more then 32gb. However I was able to find something that worked and now I'm going to use this USB flash drive to download music on for the car or photos for the wallpaper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sounds like your flash drive lacks FAT32 formatting. Also double check that sequence-wise, the USB drive gets inserted before the car is turned on. These are listed as a "preparation" step in instructions @Mr. Natural shared in the first post of this thread.

As resources for FAT32 formatting, @JK919 mentioned in this other thread that Samsung USBs are formatted in exFAT rather than FAT32, and there are some links to formatters within that thread. Additional info on the FAT32 pre-formatting step is shared in this other thread, as the step is also needed for wallpaper install from USB.
Thanks for the info! I was able to read through some of the post and found some stuff around the house I was are to use to download the maps. After I was able to download the maps everything else after that was cake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
after you did you map updates....did you lose any of your preprogrammed map favorites cuz I have quite a bit that I saved? Im hoping I don't have re-program all those names/addresses

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
after you did you map updates....did you lose any of your preprogrammed map favorites cuz I have quite a bit that I saved? Im hoping I don't have re-program all those names/addresses
I have an EX so don't have personal experience with this... but skimming GenX Accord forums (with infotainment system most similar to Insight), there's no mention/complaint about losing settings after installing navigation updates. The primary complaint is that it's a slow/long update process.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just adding to this thread:

I had an alert on my dashboard a couple of days ago about a map update being available so I went through the documented procedure for capturing the current map details on an SD card (version 2020.01) and then attempted to download the latest map from Garmin using the Garmin Express application on my Windows 10 computer. Garmin Express indicated that there was a map update available but then insisted that my version was up to date. I went as far as having an online chat with Garmin and had them verify that my 2020.01 version was indeed up to date. This morning I had another alert from Garmin Express on my computer and sure enough, I learned that the latest map version is now 2021.10. I am now in the process of downloading this to my SD card, something that could take over two hours as the Gamin site appears to be very slow right now. Once the download is complete on my computer I expect that the actual transfer from the SD card to the Insight navigation system will take just a few minutes. I seem to remember it being round 15 minutes when I went through this procedure last year.

The bottom line here is that the most current version of the map from Garmin is 2021.10 as of July 17, 2020. Just s a side note, I also have an older portable Garmin device that was updated a few weeks ago. It is interesting to note that the portable device has all of the map details in one gigantic file while the version for the Insight has a totally different format consisting of multiple small files on the SD card. I am guessing that the package that ends up in the Insight storage medium is converted to something similar to what I have on my protable device. This is not saying anything good or bad here, just that it is a curious thing to discover. It might have something to do with an expiry date in 2024 when i might have to pay for future map updates. My portable device has a lifetime license.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Once the download is complete on my computer I expect that the actual transfer from the SD card to the Insight navigation system will take just a few minutes. I seem to remember it being round 15 minutes when I went through this procedure last year.
Following on @BN2LAZY 's question above, could you share your experience with pre-programmed settings after your last update, and/or after the current update?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't recall losing any settings a year ago when I did that last udate but I will verify this when I transfer the latests and greatest next time that I drove the car, probably this evening.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I completed the update this evening and am happy to report that none of my settings were lost or changed. There was a bit of a problem on my first attempt in that the screen said that I had a successful installation but when I attempted to put in a new location I had a message that map data was not available. This prompted me to do a re-install which progressed to about 15% completion and then jumped to 100% complete. After that things worked normally and I could see my most recent trips and my saved locations.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just did the update today - download times can vary of course, but actual installation to the car took about 30 minutes. Left it in accessory mode with the keyfob inside (I couldn't remember if I could safely walk away with it). Had set a 30 minute timer to check it at the halfway point, but found it complete and verified that saved and recent places were there. Didn't notice any changes at a glance. Will see with usage.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Left it in accessory mode with the keyfob inside (I couldn't remember if I could safely walk away with it).
I think the 'short' installation timing was lucky. In theory, car should've automatically powered off (with or without fob) if left in Accessory mode >30-60 minutes, per OM19 pg 191. That's kind of a wide time frame, so it must be related/contingent on battery state of charge...?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for looking up the details! I didn't think the accessory mode would drain the battery in 60 minutes, but forgot that there might be auto-shutoff logic. (I recently had to jump start my Insight - but haven't figured out why it drained if accessory mode has auto-shutoff. Did I leave it running?)

I think the 'short' installation timing was lucky. In theory, car should've automatically powered off (with or without fob) if left in Accessory mode >30-60 minutes, per OM19 pg 191. That's kind of a wide time frame, so it must be related/contingent on battery state of charge...?
View attachment 5561

·
Registered
37 Posts
Havent been on the forum in a bit, but I havent had time to do my map update yet. Life/work balance has been more work than life ugh

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone seem a problem with the new map upgrade where north and south, east and west are now interchanged? By this I mean that navigation instructions sometimes incorrectly tell me to turn left (east) when leaving a highway when I should be turning left (west) The map on the screen is correct, the turn instruction is correct but the direction is incorrect. Maybe we are using the other north and south, east and west here in Canada you know, Metric North or Metric East :) It's not a big deal but it certainly livens up the converstion in the car.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts