Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Has anyone seem a problem with the new map upgrade where north and south, east and west are now interchanged? By this I mean that navigation instructions sometimes incorrectly tell me to turn left (east) when leaving a highway when I should be turning left (west) The map on the screen is correct, the turn instruction is correct but the direction is incorrect. Maybe we are using the other north and south, east and west here in Canada you know, Metric North or Metric East :) It's not a big deal but it certainly livens up the converstion in the car.
Wonder if a soft reboot or hard reboot/factory reset (Settings --> System --> Factory Data Reset) might help get things back to normal, since the tablet is 'always on' and maybe 'confused' by the navigation update (?).

Soft reboot worked to correct a mishmash display of distance units for @rcarlton, and power reset / hard reboot addressed same distance unit issue for @ScottyWM and @Shay. Maybe similar reset can help the mismatched compass direction units.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can get to "Map & Vehicle" in the process however when I push Map & Vehicle I get a pop up that says "Data Downloading". I was getting the same pop up anytime I tried to use the GPS. Anyone know what I do to clear this?

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I can get to "Map & Vehicle" in the process however when I push Map & Vehicle I get a pop up that says "Data Downloading". I was getting the same pop up anytime I tried to use the GPS. Anyone know what I do to clear this?
Have you previously updated maps via USB since owning the car, or is the error message new after trying to update? Since you've had the error both in regular use and while trying to update, might be worth trying a factory data reset. It will clear any settings (e.g. saved locations) but it sounds like it won't be a huge loss, given your other issues with the system.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Has anyone seem a problem with the new map upgrade where north and south, east and west are now interchanged? By this I mean that navigation instructions sometimes incorrectly tell me to turn left (east) when leaving a highway when I should be turning left (west) The map on the screen is correct, the turn instruction is correct but the direction is incorrect. Maybe we are using the other north and south, east and west here in Canada you know, Metric North or Metric East :) It's not a big deal but it certainly livens up the converstion in the car.
I know there is a way to set the direction of the facing of the map to be top up, or north up only etc... maybe working on that setting will fix things.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I know there is a way to set the direction of the facing of the map to be top up, or north up only etc... maybe working on that setting will fix things.
Interesting 'feature'; didn't know that existed for the Honda Nav.

Here's the description of "Map Orientation" from the navigation manual, and the choices for "Track Up" or "North Up" setting. "3D" should be factory default.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Al of my settings appear to be normal where I am using the Track Up setting. The directional problem seems to be tied into the signs on the highway though. For example, I can turn on navigation to take me to a location on XXXX road where the signage on the highway indicates the official road name "East XXXX road" and the picture of the sign that pops up on my navigation screen also shows a picture with "East XXX road on it". What does not show up on the picture is the small print on the bottom of the sign that indicates east and west with arrows. My navigation map shows me turning left to go west but the instructions and the audio say that I should turn right to go east. Once I exit the main highway and come up to the sign on the local road showing the east and west arrows the instructions suddenly change to let me know that I should actually go west and not east. This has got to be a Garmin glitch of some sort. It is not consistent and seems to be restricted to the areas just north of Toronto, Canada. It doesn't bother me too much since I know the area but a visitor to the city and surrounding area will get very lost very quickly if instructions are taken from the audio clues.

I will have to open a ticket with Garmin to see what they have to say about this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting 'feature'; didn't know that existed for the Honda Nav.

Here's the description of "Map Orientation" from the navigation manual, and the choices for "Track Up" or "North Up" setting. "3D" should be factory default.
View attachment 5707
Have you previously updated maps via USB since owning the car, or is the error message new after trying to update? Since you've had the error both in regular use and while trying to update, might be worth trying a factory data reset. It will clear any settings (e.g. saved locations) but it sounds like it won't be a huge loss, given your other issues with the system.
View attachment 5694
I tried using this to correct my problem and went through this to the restore point. When I pressed restore that window immediately disappeared. I waited about 2 minutes and tried to use navigation but when I pushed the button to choose a destination, got the "Data is downloading" error message again. So I did the restore procedure again, left the car running and waited 30 minutes. Tried again and got "Data is downloading" once again. Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,806 Posts
I tried using this to correct my problem and went through this to the restore point. When I pressed restore that window immediately disappeared. I waited about 2 minutes and tried to use navigation but when I pushed the button to choose a destination, got the "Data is downloading" error message again. So I did the restore procedure again, left the car running and waited 30 minutes. Tried again and got "Data is downloading" once again. Any other ideas?
Do you have the latest infotainment software which updated the Garmin Nav app? https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/ota/2019_Insight.pdf Are you trying to install a new map update?

In-Car Technology Support: (888) 528-7876
^You can give Honda a call to see if they can help or contact Garmin/HERE.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As a partial follow up to my problems with discombobulated directional instructions, (north south east and west out to lunch) I contacted Garmin and was advised to re-install the latest navigation update. They have seen similar problems before which have been resolved with a re-install. I have started from scratch using a blank 16 MByte SD card and have downloaded the latest navigation software onto the card as per the documented instructions but have not passed it onto the entertainment system yet; I am waiting for a planned outing that will have me driving for at least 30 minutes to allow for the transfer from the SD card to the entertainment system.

In doing the first steps in the re-install I was surprised to learn that my last update attempt failed as the current software revision is still at the old level 2020.01 not the expected 2021.10 version Before clearing out my SD card that was used for my last update attempt I discovered that there were a lot of partial file fragments as well as recovered files on the medium. In other words, something very weird took place when I first tried to update my system so I will keep very close tabs on the final re-install attempt to make sure that I get a clean install this time around.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I started the download this morning. I’m using a 32 gig USB stick which I changed to Fat32 before I started anything. I plugged it into the car and that worked smoothly. Then I plugged it into my Mac and started the download from Garmin. It started off not bad and then got to over 100 thousand megabytes per sec. and said there was 1 minute left. Now 2 hours later it is at 63% and says 1 minute and just running over 900 megabytes per second. Guess I will have to see what happens if it ever completes

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I started the download this morning. I’m using a 32 gig USB stick which I changed to Fat32 before I started anything. I plugged it into the car and that worked smoothly. Then I plugged it into my Mac and started the download from Garmin. It started off not bad and then got to over 100 thousand megabytes per sec. and said there was 1 minute left. Now 2 hours later it is at 63% and says 1 minute and just running over 900 megabytes per second. Guess I will have to see what happens if it ever completes
Dang... doesn't sound like an easy (or fast or efficient) update process. Kinda makes me glad I have a lowly EX and use phone navigation when needed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Update: So after 3 hours I was down to 400 megabytes and only at 66%. I pulled the plug and erased the USB stick and started over again. It has now been 3 and a quarter hours and I am sitting at 63%. Anyone else had this length of time from Garmin.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,806 Posts
Note: A 16GB USB flash drive is required for the Honda Navigation System update. Using a USB flash drive smaller or larger than 16GB can cause the map update process to be unsuccessful.
Garmin suggest a 16GB usb flash drive and they've mac specific format instructions.
Update: So after 3 hours I was down to 400 megabytes and only at 66%. I pulled the plug and erased the USB stick and started over again. It has now been 3 and a quarter hours and I am sitting at 63%. Anyone else had this length of time from Garmin.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Update number 2. So after starting the map update a second time it successfully downloaded in 9 hours. So much for Garmin “ Express”. I used a 32 gig USB key and although it took an extremely long time I’m blaming it on Garmins’ website. I just took the car out for a drive and the map update completed in under 30 minutes. Checked the version and it is 2021.10 . Checked all other features on the unit and everything is good.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
323 Posts
I went ahead and did the factory reset... I had to do it because the GPS was just not working anymore (I had di**** around in the app manager so maybe it's my fault...)

Not that many settings got actually reset (seems like the vehicle options stay). So I just had to rearrange the icons and that's about it.

Uptime was successfully reset. 10/10 would recommend :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I finally did the map update which only took me a while since I’ve been busy with work and then finding a blank jump drive. Apparently, others were used and the other problem was the formatting didn’t work in the insight . Did take a bit of time, but didn’t try entering any address of confirming N, S, E, W directions. Didn’t lose any preprogrammed locations. Tomorrow morning will be the test when I leave for work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Note: A 16GB USB flash drive is required for the Honda Navigation System update. Using a USB flash drive smaller or larger than 16GB can cause the map update process to be unsuccessful.
Garmin suggest a 16GB usb flash drive and they've mac specific format instructions.
I was able to figure out how to use a 32gb Samsung flash drive for the navigation update. I was having the issue where the Garmin software would not completely go through with the update once I got to the final screen before the software would update the map because it would error out. So, I decided to partition the usb drive, 16gb / 16gb. Went to the car and went through the process of writing to the usb drive and it worked. So, I plugged it back to the computer and ran the Garmin software. It was able to update the map on the usb drive without any errors. Plugged the usb drive back in the car and went through the rest of the process without any issues. The map update on the computer took about 1-1/2 hr and just over 30 minutes in the car.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I was able to figure out how to use a 32gb Samsung flash drive for the navigation update. I was having the issue where the Garmin software would not completely go through with the update once I got to the final screen before the software would update the map because it would error out. So, I decided to partition the usb drive, 16gb / 16gb.
Good to know partitioning works as an option. Apparently Honda/Garmin isn't joking about the 16GB limitation...

41 - 58 of 58 Posts