Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No note, no witness or camera. Haven't called insurance yet but did call my non-emergency line to try and get a police report. Luckily its contained on the driver side rear bumper and did not reach the fender.

What would you guys do in my situation? Paint did come off. Is this a simple DIY touchup job or more? Is it worth doing it through insurance and getting a body shop to fix it? I do have uninsured motorist coverage and collision ($500 deduct.) in my policy. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
No note, no witness or camera. Haven't called insurance yet but did call my non-emergency line to try and get a police report. Luckily its contained on the driver side rear bumper and did not reach the fender.

What would you guys do in my situation? Paint did come off. Is this a simple DIY touchup job or more? Is it worth doing it through insurance and getting a body shop to fix it? I do have uninsured motorist coverage and collision ($500 deduct.) in my policy. Thank you in advance.

It doesn’t cost anything to get an estimate, so I’d start there. As far as DIY, you might be able to buff out a lot of it if it’s paint transfer. And since its plastic, there’s no rust to worry about.

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
It looks like it went through all of the paint, closest to the tire edge.

Did anyone ever find out if pre-painted bumpers were available? If so, I'd go that route. Cheaper than the deductible, and should be a fairly easy swap.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
It looks like it went through all of the paint, closest to the tire edge.

Did anyone ever find out if pre-painted bumpers were available? If so, I'd go that route. Cheaper than the deductible, and should be a fairly easy swap.
When my dealer replaced the front/rear bumpers to correct the parking sensor installation, the bumpers came unpainted (and the wait time for the parts were 1 month). Maybe that's changed/improved as more Insights are on the road, but OEM pre-painted bumpers weren't an option as of 6 months ago.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts

I assume you parked your car and came back to see your car damaged? I had that happened about 6 months after buying my 09 Civic. Somebody backed into my car's driver door hinge area enough that I couldn't open the door. No note was left and surprisingly my insurance(Amica at that time) considered it as vandalism so it went down as comprehensive(Some insurance companies don't raise your rates for comprehensive claims) instead of collision.

I would check in with a body shop (preferably a Honda certified one even though they might be more expensive) and get a free quote. Once you notify your insurance even if you're not filing a claim it might still be reported to your LexisNexis CLUE personal auto loss history. That happened to me when I had Progressive because I notified them of an accident where I was rear ended. The person at fault's insurance agreed to pay for my damages so Progressive never had to pay out but they still reported it to LexisNexis as a $0 claim. :sad:

If I was in your situation, I would make my decision based on how expensive it is to get it fix out of pocket, and see if your insurance will raise rates on a comprehensive claim. If not I would try my best to convince them somebody vandalized your vehicle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can you see this?
Yes, I see it now :sad: So sorry that happened. As others have said, the bumper is plastic so you won't need to worry about the black areas rusting. As for the scrape markings, take some wax and see how it looks after rubbing it out. Other than the two dark areas where the paint is gone, the white areas is just the clear coat that's scraped - it turns white when scraped or sanded. You may not be able to get the deeper scratches out, but I'm sure the crimson red color will resurface and pretty much hide the scratches. IMO I wouldn't use touch-up paint to cover the black because it would probably stick out more than leaving the dark markings.

It will cost at least $400 to have it repainted because the bumper cover would need to be removed, a minuscule repair done and the entire cover painted. They just can't spot paint the scratched portion because the paint won't match. The cost of repair or even the deductible could get you some nice accessories ie; floor mats, lumbar support pillow, seat cushion, sway bar etc... If you can't live with the scrape and scratches get an estimate and see what the shop charges for labor to R/R the bumper cover. Perhaps you can remove and replace it yourself and just have them paint it - it'll probably knock off a minimum of $100-$150. Good Luck!

·
Registered
836 Posts
A competent body guy can have that fixed pretty quickly. I'd guess it'd be ~$300-500 from experience. Good news is because it's a bumper, they don't have to blend into the quarter. Bumpers never match anyways. Also Honda bumpers come off super easy.

If you financed your car, depending on the State you live in, you may be required to repair it. I'm not saying that you have to, but technically it may be a law or ordinance where you live.

If it were me, I'd see who I knew in that field, or maybe someone in your family knows and see what they think.

Also as previously mentioned, it may be considered a comprehensive claim depending on your insurance company.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts