Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
35K seems to be a pretty low mileage to be contemplating new tires but then I am used to having summer and winter tires on my car, probably giving me a false sense of tire life. In any case, I was recently looking up tire characteristics needed for Hybrid and electric vehincles in general. The OEM tires seem to be seelected for quietness, extra grip when starting from rest and also load bearing capability, since the general assumption is that electric vehicles are heavier than the functionally equivalent gasoline cars. I personally rank tire noise or lack thereof as high in priority, all else being equal, but then I happen to be one of those rare birds who listen to Mozart on the radio with the volume turned down. If I was a rock and roll high volume listener then a quiet tire would be of less interest to me. Road grip starting from rest is also a high priority but I have yet to actually push things to the limit by jamming down on the gas pedal. I would suggest researching by looking at what the various manufacturers recommend as well as the reputable retailers. I would also remember that the Honda engineers must have done their own research and determined the optimum choices for each trim level of the Insight. Don't reject the OEM tires out of hand but instead consider them as a baseline to compare against.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts