Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My son has a 2019 Modern Steel Insight LX and my wife and I have a 2020 Cosmic Blue Insight EX. Love, love, love these cars!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We bought the 2019 last year and just recently purchased the EX. I knew the 2021's were about to be released but we simply liked the 2020 and due to the new model coming in, we got a great deal on the 2020. We traded in a 2012 Honda Accord EXL V6 Sedan.

The Insights are our first hybrid vehicles. Most likely won't be buying a 2021 as we keep vehicles for a while. Interestingly, the EX is a quieter driving vehicle as compared to the LX. Engine and road noise are noticeably less in the EX. Both my wife and I have noticed this. Is there different noise cancelling techniques involved with the 2020 model versus the 2019?

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
The Insights are our first hybrid vehicles. Most likely won't be buying a 2021 as we keep vehicles for a while. Interestingly, the EX is a quieter driving vehicle as compared to the LX. Engine and road noise are noticeably less in the EX. Both my wife and I have noticed this. Is there different noise cancelling techniques involved with the 2020 model versus the 2019?
Interesting observation. But don't know of any structural differences between LX and EX to affect road noise. They have the same tires, which is a top contributor to road noise. From an audio standpoint, the LX has 6 speakers (160W) while the EX has 8 speakers (180W). But all Insight trim levels have the same number (2) of noise cancelling microphone points.

Maybe HV battery level affected spot observations? Would be most apples-to-apples comparison to quantify relative noise at the same HV battery level/range. Maybe the LX isn't charging as efficiently as the EX (?). If the LX sat on lot for >3 months before purchase, there may be some adverse effects to the battery (?). You can find the production date on drivers door jamb sticker, and can estimate time on lot from that date until purchase date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the production dates on both cars. The LX actually sat on the lot for 2 months less than the EX did. We've tested our noise theory over the same route in similar weather. We took the 30 mile round trip in the EX first and then directly after parking the EX, we got in the LX and drove the same round trip. There's no doubt the EX is noticeably better in its ability to shield the cabin from both engine and road noise. My theory is that there are 3 contributing factors.

One: the EX tires are newer meaning they may be more pliable and less prone to road noise.

Two: Just as you've alluded. The audio system in the EX offers additional speakers and output power provided to those speakers. The EX's advantage in audio output may allow it's noise cancellation to be the difference between the cars.

Three: The LX has 12000 miles on it. The engine, suspension etc are all broken in while the EX has less than 300 miles on it and is still in the break in period.

The only other difference between the cars is the LX has all weather floor mats whereas the EX has carpet mats. I really don't think that contributes much at all though.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
The EX probably benefited from production changes and improvements. Automakers usually learn as they go when making vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
andrew,

That's a good point. I'm the analyzing and tech type so I'd love to hear if it were so and if it is, what they did. Even if I never find out, I truly enjoy these cars.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome, Rodek. How was the body assembly on the Insights, ie. body panel lining up, etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi stevew! I glance over the cars and to my untrained eye, I didn't see any gaps or misaligned panels. There is however a defrost vent on the passenger side that isn't flush with the dash on one side in the LX. All other vents are correctly installed. I'll bring this to the attention of my dealer at my next service. Thanks for asking! It helped me find it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts