Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We bought our new Insight back in December, but I've not been able to register with this site until now. My previous cars have all been Acura Integras and the last was a 2006 5 speed Accord. Wife's cars have been Integras (all manual), Accords, and an Oddysey. Except she now has a 2015 Sienna (our first Toyota). So we wanted a new car and we didn't look anywhere else but Honda.

We wanted something with good gas mileage, and friends have a Clarity, but after reading about it, I decided on the Insight. Emailed a bunch of dealers and one in Winter Haven Florida had the lowest price. I hate car shopping, so just asked for a one-time email with the lowest out-the-door price. Interestingly, they had to get the car from the dealer in Pompano who would not even answer my emails.

Anyway, we are averaging 57.7 mph after 2200 miles. I notice with A/C on highways doing 80mph, that I'm only getting about 45-47, but that is to be expected. So far, so good. I love driving it.

Thanks to the mod for fixing the issue that would not let me register.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Hi. We bought our new Insight back in December, but I've not been able to register with this site until now. My previous cars have all been Acura Integras and the last was a 2006 5 speed Accord. Wife's cars have been Integras (all manual), Accords, and an Oddysey. Except she now has a 2015 Sienna (our first Toyota). So we wanted a new car and we didn't look anywhere else but Honda.

We wanted something with good gas mileage, and friends have a Clarity, but after reading about it, I decided on the Insight. Emailed a bunch of dealers and one in Winter Haven Florida had the lowest price. I hate car shopping, so just asked for a one-time email with the lowest out-the-door price. Interestingly, they had to get the car from the dealer in Pompano who would not even answer my emails.

Anyway, we are averaging 57.7 mph after 2200 miles. I notice with A/C on highways doing 80mph, that I'm only getting about 45-47, but that is to be expected. So far, so good. I love driving it.

Thanks to the mod for fixing the issue that would not let me register.
Thanks to @insightfully for fixing the registration issue.

57.7 after 2000 miles is pretty good. Especially if this is your first hybrid! Your 80mph numbers are impressive as well. For those of us in colder climates, we're jealous!

If you have the time and wish to, register at fuelly.com and place a fuelly badge in your signature so we can follow your MPG trail. If you're in Florida, you have a shot as some awesome numbers as the Insight grows on you.

- Don

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for finding a way to notify us of registration issue.

It looks like Winter Haven and Pompano are 3-4 hours (200 miles) apart. Just curious, but was your car driven this distance before delivery, or was it shuttled on a carrier, or did you pick it up yourself to drive back?

The A/C is electrically powered and has less impact on fuel economy than gas-powered heating, for those of us in cooler winter climates. But from what you shared, your fuel economy may be more impacted by the highway speed (80 mph) rather than A/C use. Above ~65 mph, most of us see fuel economy peak then decrease at higher speeds. If traffic allows, maybe try your usual drive at a lower speed and same A/C usage to see what your results are.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your Insight a 2019 or 2020? What color?
Glad you're happy with it so far!!!
2019 White. Happy is really an understatement. While I loved my Integras, I'm amazed at how I'm now trying to edge up the mpg - sort of. My wife averages 60 mpg. Imagine a timid little girl or old lady going 35 in the 55 mph lane. I now try to get to 57 and then switch to sport mode until I drop to 55.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for finding a way to notify us of registration issue.

It looks like Winter Haven and Pompano are 3-4 hours (200 miles) apart. Just curious, but was your car driven this distance before delivery, or was it shuttled on a carrier, or did you pick it up yourself to drive back?

The A/C is electrically powered and has less impact on fuel economy than gas-powered heating, for those of us in cooler winter climates. But from what you shared, your fuel economy may be more impacted by the highway speed (80 mph) rather than A/C use. Above ~65 mph, most of us see fuel economy peak then decrease at higher speeds. If traffic allows, maybe try your usual drive at a lower speed and same A/C usage to see what your results are.
First, thanks for the help on registration. I did send two messages via the contact form, but never heard anything. Still, I was reading all the posts - which is why I wanted to join - so much good info.

They drove the car from Pompano to Winter Haven, so I got the car with about 250 miles on it. FYI - I paid $24000 out the door. Tax, title, tag, etc. - and it came with wheel locks, door edge and handle protectors (basically scotch tape), and the cargo tray for the trunk - plus a basic wax and some scotch guard which they normally charge a small fortune for.

Good info on the A/C. We don't drive highway regularly. Just happens that I had to take a kid to Jacksonville for college, then my wife and I went to Orlando a couple times. Less than 20% miles are highway. Here in Florida in the summer, I always tended to keep my A/C at the lowest temp and it just kept cranking. But now I'm adjusting it to an actual temp - 72 or so. But does not sound like that would really help much. Anyway, have yet to drive in normal 90+ degree temps.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
First, thanks for the help on registration. I did send two messages via the contact form, but never heard anything. Still, I was reading all the posts - which is why I wanted to join - so much good info.

They drove the car from Pompano to Winter Haven, so I got the car with about 250 miles on it. FYI - I paid $24000 out the door. Tax, title, tag, etc. - and it came with wheel locks, door edge and handle protectors (basically scotch tape), and the cargo tray for the trunk - plus a basic wax and some scotch guard which they normally charge a small fortune for.

Good info on the A/C. We don't drive highway regularly. Just happens that I had to take a kid to Jacksonville for college, then my wife and I went to Orlando a couple times. Less than 20% miles are highway. Here in Florida in the summer, I always tended to keep my A/C at the lowest temp and it just kept cranking. But now I'm adjusting it to an actual temp - 72 or so. But does not sound like that would really help much. Anyway, have yet to drive in normal 90+ degree temps.
The Insight favors city driving so you should do really well with fuel economy numbers. Set the AC to the highest temp you will feel comfortable with. It won't work as hard(better usage of EV mode) and you should still feel comfortable because it's removing the humidity. I think I had my AC set at 75-77F last Summer depending on outside temp. I also drive with ECO mode by default once temps are above 50F.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Here in Florida in the summer, I always tended to keep my A/C at the lowest temp and it just kept cranking. But now I'm adjusting it to an actual temp - 72 or so. But does not sound like that would really help much. Anyway, have yet to drive in normal 90+ degree temps.
From an energy standpoint, A/C uses the least net energy when run full blast for a short period, instead of running constantly at a low setting. Maybe another A/C experiment to try, to gauge impact on mpg? - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/266-2019-honda-insight-range-mpge-economy/2496-abnormal-trip-so-cal-san-fran-2.html#post16378

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry - this was meant for the Introduction forum. Please move if appropriate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts