Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home my 2019 Crimson Pearl today! Beautiful color. My first Honda. My first hybrid.

I have a 55 mile one way commute that goes from valley (a little hilly), over a mountain, & then flat lands. Mostly 4 lane divided hwy with a few stop lights. I can't wait to see how it performs. I'm hoping for 55 mpg meaning 2 gals/day. I'll take all the hints you can offer. I feel like I'm back in driver's ed learning all the bells & whistles.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It does take some learning/adjusting, but you'll be a pro in no time! Check out these threads for some starting reading:

Hills challenge the Insight, and having enough high voltage battery charge to make the climb is one thing that helps. You can build HV battery charge on the descent, but it also depends on how long that is (i.e. the HV battery can only hold so much charge). Frankly, my 90s Honda has a way easier time on the same hills of my daily drive, which my Insight EX completely struggles on.

The car also gets its best fuel efficiency at city speeds (below 45-60 mph), so you can gain fuel efficiency by managing how fast you go on highways. At highway speeds, the gas engine drives the wheels, which consumes more fuel and lowers mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I brought home my 2019 Crimson Pearl today! Beautiful color. My first Honda. My first hybrid.

I have a 55 mile one way commute that goes from valley (a little hilly), over a mountain, & then flat lands. Mostly 4 lane divided hwy with a few stop lights. I can't wait to see how it performs. I'm hoping for 55 mpg meaning 2 gals/day. I'll take all the hints you can offer. I feel like I'm back in driver's ed learning all the bells & whistles.
The Insight should make for a nice first Honda and hybrid car(You also get a little taste of a EV). :grin: What car did you previously owned?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum. It's nice to see someone else on here in Virginia. Have patience with learning how to drive your car and don't get frustrated if your mileage is not what you expected at first. It takes a while to experiment with the different driving modes and when/where to use each one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've previously owned a 2012 Chevy Cruze, a 2002 Saturn SL2, and a 1993 Saturn SL1. As a commuter, they all had >200K miles on them when sold.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts

What kind of numbers are you getting after a few weeks with the Insight? :smile:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome, RoseofSharon1962. You're probably 10 years younger than me. I've been averaging 58mpg with my 2019 Insight (White Orchard Pearl), but since I don't drive a lot (if I don't need to, I don't),
I've got fewer than 600 miles on mine--purchased it July 31. Hope your mileage and expectations are met!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts