Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the latest release of the Garmin map update version 2023.10 with no surprises. I saw a message on my display screen informing me that an update was available. The download onto my Secure SD card on my Windows computer took a while using Garmin Express, but the final installation in the car was just under 40 minutes. There were no glitches and no surprises this time around. It looks like I might get at least one more of these updates at no charge before my 5 year initial Map Care subscription expires in June 2024. This is the 5 year subscription that came with my 2019 Insight; I believe that the later models come with just a 3 year subscription.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Google maps/Waze is free - and has live updates and reroutes.. Plus Waze tells you when there are things in the road, police, accidents etc.. I wouldn't pay for updates after that since there are better free options.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Google maps/Waze is free - and has live updates and reroutes.. Plus Waze tells you when there are things in the road, police, accidents etc.. I wouldn't pay for updates after that since there are better free options.
Won't always have reception in some places though.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,253 Posts
Honda sources map data from Garmin which sources from Here. You can see references to Here at the bottom of Honda's Navi site.

You can download the actual Here app and use it via Carplay/Android Auto without a need for cell service. The app is free and you can select the offline map data you want to download by state.

Reactions: NicoleK

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone else having any issues between Garmin recognizing USB stick on Mac? Using the same stick as before. I have reset and updated everything on USB stick and running latest software on everything and still Garmin can't see the the stick

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes I have reformatted the stick to Fat32 which is was already. The USB is plugged directly into the Mac. I can see the stick no problem. I had the name of the stick on Garmin Express from previous install but it wouldn’t connect to it. I deleted it and tried to ” add new” but Garmin doesn’t see the stick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you see anything in the contents of the USB stick? The first part of the update process has you plug the USB stick into a USB slot in the car and then go through the motions of a map update. The result of this is the creation of some new files on the USB stick including an XML file. The Insight should tell you when the initial procedure is complete after a few seconds of operation. The XML file Garmin Express looking for. If the file is there, then things happening during the initial update preliminary procedure are probably correct. . That would point to something weird happening with the Garmin Express utility. If the newly formatted USB stck is not populated with data files by the Insight, then there would likely be something amiss with either your USB socket in the car or the USB stick itself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well do I feel stupid. I passed over all that stuff about the car thinking it was something you did after downloading the files from the internet. I did as you said and went back to the computer and it found the stick within seconds. Funny thing, it said I was already up to date and running 2023.10

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I saw that behaviour with Garmin Express as well. I think that when you download the new files via Garmin Express you also get a new XML file with the new 2013.10 revision level buried in there. Not to worry, once the files are transferred from the USB stick to the Insight Garmin Express will be telling the truth.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So Garmin Express doesn't actually say anything other than it is up to date. I checked the USB stick and only 17mb of info. The only option it gives is to reinstall the map that is already there supposedly but isn't. So that is what I'm doing. 2 Hours and 11 minutes to go. Seems weird

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The long download time is "normal" and is dependent on your Internet speed, Garmin's software host and also the speed of your USB stick. Once the download form Garin is complete you will see a lot more data on your USB stick. Once you plug it into the car and perform the map upgrade procedure once again you should see that it takes around 40 minutes or so to perform the final upgrade. Make sure that the car is running while this is going on as you do not want to run into 12 volt battery problems or low voltage glitches. I did my update while driving knowing in advance that I would be on the road for at least 40 minutes if not longer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I did the software this morning letting the car run in the garage with the door open. Most of the time it was in EV mode and then running on ICE while it charged the batteries. Overall it took around 40 minutes as you mentioned and said it was successful. Thanks again

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
265 Posts
I gambled and I uploaded the update just in ACC mode without going fully starting up. Left the key in the car and came back I guess in 20 as Insight_Bob sighted. I just didn't like running the ICE if I didn't need to.

Did have something weird last time when I was told I needed an update, but then found it was already running 22.10. Wasted time plugging in the stick to the Insight with the 22.10 update on there so I think it installed 22.10 over 22.10. Will remember next time to just erase the stick so that the Insight can save its status info on it instead of installing an old update.

I'm continuing to use Honda/Garmin nav since Apple Carplay doesn't relay info to the driver info interface (unlike Android) in my 2019.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,781 Posts
I gambled and I uploaded the update just in ACC mode without going fully starting up. Left the key in the car and came back I guess in 20 as Insight_Bob sighted. I just didn't like running the ICE if I didn't need to.
There is a drawback to this. ACC mode will automatically turn OFF after one hour. If the update needs to run longer than that, bad things can occur. This is the reason updates say to start the car. You never know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts