Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just drove home my new white 2020 insight EX and I am impressed with how much car you get with this insight. Drive home was mostly highway speeds at 69-70 mph range and got 43 MPG. Car just has 44 miles on the odometer but i drive about 550 miles per week so they will rack up fast. How long does it take for the vehicle to break in and the mileage settles down to what i should expect going forward?

Rich
:smile:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your purchase! I purchased my EX in May 2019 and at this time, only have just over 5,000 miles on it. I started noticing better mpg at about 2,500 miles, but I think it may differ for each person depending on their driving style, daily terrain travels, etc. It will take a bit to get to know your car and what driving mode, i.e ECON, Normal, SPORT, EV, works best for you. EV alone won't give you many miles at a time but you will learn when to use it to improve your mpg.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i just drove home my new white 2020 insight EX and I am impressed with how much car you get with this insight. Drive home was mostly highway speeds at 69-70 mph range and got 43 MPG. Car just has 44 miles on the odometer but i drive about 550 miles per week so they will rack up fast. How long does it take for the vehicle to break in and the mileage settles down to what i should expect going forward?

Rich

You will get used to it and see better mileage over time, the car really tries to teach you how to be more efficient if you listen to it.

One tip, I know it's 1-2 mph, but if you can go 68mph vs 70 (I almost always use ACC on highway, weather permitting). You'll see an instant improvement in gas mileage. I know it isn't always feasible, but I try to limit highway speeds when I can. Once you get back into "summer gas" you'll see a little bump as well.

Also check your air pressure in your tires, many of the "EPA beating" members are running 40psi (cold pressure) all 4 corners. But even a few psi should show a marked improvement.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts

Rich
  1. During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as to not damage the engine or powertrain.
  2. Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this when the brake pads are replaced.
^Break-in instructions from the owner's manual.

Winter is usually when you will get your lowest fuel economy numbers but there are ways to mitigate some of that(combine multiple short trips, reduce heater usage or temp, etc). You will see the mpg numbers go up starting in the Spring, with more experience driving the car, and reading the tips posted on this forum. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome, KentuckyRich. Post a picture of that white baby! (Quite a few of us have the 2019 Insight with White Orchid Pearl--I want to see that titanium white)!

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've gotten great mpg beating EPA rating from the get-go, so have been skeptical of break-in concept... but the following thread has discussion worth checking out for additional perspective on "Break in & MPG" - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/266-2019-honda-insight-range-mpge-economy/3598-break-mpg.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts