Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery yesterday of a “new” 2019 Insight LX base model from a Shockley Honda in Frederick MD. Is already had 200 miles on it and seemed a good price I was reluctant to accept delivery though because the dashboard said it was gettin 30.1 MPG. I do not see any “paddles” for regenerative braking. I am an old lady and drive like the stereotype of an old lady - apologies to my speedster old lady friends. ALL of my driving is in town never on the highway and I am not using heat or AC. It is not too hilly where I live - suburban DC area. How can I make certain I am getting good mileage within the next week? In the past 24 hours of driving I got the mileage up to 30.8 MPG using EV and coasting up to stop signs but I will not keeping this car if it does not get a lot better real quick. Did I get a lemon?

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I took delivery yesterday of a “new” 2019 Insight LX base model from a Shockley Honda in Frederick MD. Is already had 200 miles on it and seemed a good price I was reluctant to accept delivery though because the dashboard said it was gettin 30.1 MPG. I do not see any “paddles” for regenerative braking. I am an old lady and drive like the stereotype of an old lady - apologies to my speedster old lady friends. ALL of my driving is in town never on the highway and I am not using heat or AC. It is not too hilly where I live - suburban DC area. How can I make certain I am getting good mileage within the next week? In the past 24 hours of driving I got the mileage up to 30.8 MPG using EV and coasting up to stop signs but I will not keeping this car if it does not get a lot better real quick. Did I get a lemon?
Maybe the 30.1 mpg is the lifetime average over those 200 miles due to short test drives? The 30.8mpg might be from your Insight's lifetime average(which includes the miles before you started driving). What numbers you see depends on if you have the Insight reset the fuel economy numbers manually, when you add a new tank of gas, or per trip.

The regen paddles are behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank u Andrew! I will try to reset the mileage to show what I am getting, not what every other driver got in the first 200 miles. I think the sales man bringing the car to me must have driven 80+ MPH on the HWY using AC full blast to get that poor mileage reading. I just did not think Insights should ever be that poor in mileage. I will work on using the paddles u pointed out as well. I hope to see better mileage soon!

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
ALL of my driving is in town never on the highway and I am not using heat or AC. It is not too hilly where I live - suburban DC area. How can I make certain I am getting good mileage within the next week? In the past 24 hours of driving I got the mileage up to 30.8 MPG using EV and coasting up to stop signs but I will not keeping this car if it does not get a lot better real quick. Did I get a lemon?
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new LX! I don't think you got a lemon. :)

There are a few ways you can get a read on "your" driving rather than the dealer's results, using the drivers information interface (screen behind the steering wheel). You can access and adjust the display using the 'left rolling selector wheel':
- "Average Fuel Economy" display will show the mpg results for the last 3 driving cycles (from car on to car off) and your current drive. You can see your 'actual' mpg results to gauge how you're doing compared to the EPA ratings. I think this is the best one for the mpg comparison you're trying to achieve.
- "Range & Fuel" display will show your average fuel economy and instant fuel economy. If you reset the trip meter, it will show results for your own driving rather than the dealer's data.

To reset a trip meter, press the left selector wheel and scroll to "Reset" then press again. There are two trip meters (A and B) and you can choose how to manage them; suggestions are in the following thread - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/1872-trip-summary-available-insight.html

Longer term, things that will work in your favor for fuel efficiency are:
- your in-town/city driving: the Insight's city rating (55 mpg) is higher than its highway rating (49 mpg)
- not using heat or A/C: we call this 'passive' heating/cooling; it keeps the gas engine from running and improves fuel efficiency

Hills can be good/bad. It takes energy to climb them, but you can build battery charge (free energy) on the descent. Rolling terrain can actually be a boon to the Insight, as it balances energy use and battery charge.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Thank u Andrew! I will try to reset the mileage to show what I am getting, not what every other driver got in the first 200 miles. I think the sales man bringing the car to me must have driven 80+ MPH on the HWY using AC full blast to get that poor mileage reading. I just did not think Insights should ever be that poor in mileage. I will work on using the paddles u pointed out as well. I hope to see better mileage soon!
The brake pedal will activate regen braking automatically if you don't want to use the regen paddles. @insightfully 's post did a better job at explaining how to monitor your mpg on the LX trim. I'm not as familiar with the LX since I usually monitor my mpg stats on the EX trim's bigger infotainment screen.

Another way you can boost your mpg is to check your tire pressure. Dealerships sometimes overfill or underfill your tires. Recommended cold tire front psi is 35 and rear is 33. If you need to drive more than a mile to fill up your tires at a gas station. Then the tires will become hot so you should fill them at 4psi higher(39psi front/37psi rear).

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
The brake pedal will activate regen braking automatically if you don't want to use the regen paddles.
Oh, yes - I love the tip that initial travel of the brake pedal triggers regeneration. It's one of the ways to get familiar with the car by driving it 'normally' but still getting battery charge. I like this video which illustrates outstanding mpg with 'just' brake pedal use - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/137-2019-honda-insight-reviews/750-mpgomatic-2019-honda-insight-touring-hybrid-mpg-drive-0-60-mph-review-1-13-19-a.html

A couple other threads may be of interest as you get familiar with your car:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As Insightfully said, I don't think you got a lemon. I also agree that the low mileage is most likely due to lots of short test drive trips taken by individuals. Mine had 64 miles on it back in May of this year and I believe the avg. mileage was in the low to mid 30's. My test drive was probably only about 2-3 miles, so if this was a standard test drive for my dealer, there were quite a number of test drives on mine. I had done a lot of research prior to my purchase so the short drives did not bother me. Be patient with learning to drive the car and read as many threads on this forum as you can to catch up on tips for driving and handling characteristics. As most, if not all of us would agree, your salesman probably did not know too much about the car when you made your purchase, so best if you can "read up" here. Also, if you can't find an answer to a question, ask here and most likely you will get your answer. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd also suggest not using the EV mode all the time. In my opinion it's only useful for draining the battery just before going down a big hill where you could get a full charge or close to it. In flat terrain it I think it might be a little worse than ECON or normal mode because it prioritizes using the battery in a way that's less efficient than optimal. Stick with ECON and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I'd also suggest not using the EV mode all the time. In my opinion it's only useful for draining the battery just before going down a big hill where you could get a full charge or close to it. In flat terrain it I think it might be a little worse than ECON or normal mode because it prioritizes using the battery in a way that's less efficient than optimal. Stick with ECON and I'm sure you'll be pleased.
The EV mode button and regen paddles are useful for hypermilers that want more manual control. I agree with you that constantly using the EV button and regen paddles mindlessly might hurt your fuel economy. Best advice for new owners is to drive the car in Econ or Normal mode and be gentle with it(especially the first 600 miles). We also have a "how to drive your Insight" thread with tips.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The car just doesn't get good MPG until the engine and battery warm up. On short trips ( <5 miles) from a cold start I rarely get over 40 mpg. The return drive is usually around 50.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The other thing to consider is that often the car sits on the lot idling. We bought ours in April and since I didn't reset the average fuel economy it took until almost the first oil change to crack 50mpg average (10k miles)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts