Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I traded in my previous vehicle (2014 Nissan Titan) for a brand new 2019 Insight Touring. I have been drooling over the new accords and insights for a few months and committed to buying the Insight. Of course, as of now the new car purchase feeling has me loving the car, but have only driven it less than 20 miles. This will be my second new Honda; I previously owned a 2011 Accord Coupe, but traded for a Nissan Titan a few years later. I was an active member on TitanTalk Forums, and anticipate similar habits with this forum as well. I am a gearhead since my youth, and have grown out of loud V8 powerplants and don't necessarily care for the maintenance costs and appetite associated, especially for a daily driven vehicle 95% of the time. After carefully convincing my wife, and showing her the insight online, she was all thumbs up on the purchase and the dealership was willing to give me reasonable trade on my Titan, towards the purchase price. I am leery of the first model year trouble, but have been around Honda's as long as I can recall...first car was an '85 Accord.

I look forward to driving this car and the tech that it carries as well as any information or experiences I can share with the community. I enjoy tinkering with all sorts of things and find myself DIYing everything.

Regards,

btw, I want a Tesla, but will not pay that kind of money...yet

·
Super Moderator
1,240 Posts
Welcome!

I wouldn't be too concerned about first year model issues. The drive-train is a tested version of the Accord's 2-motor system - albeit with a smaller engine. The only real issues mentioned in this forum have been with fit/finish/rattles and such. I appear to be among the fortunate ones with a car built on a Tuesday that has no such issues. There are several of us already well past 15K miles (some even over 20K) with no issues! Enjoy your Insight and please stay involved with this forum - we like learning from each other!

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
All,

I traded in my previous vehicle (2014 Nissan Titan) for a brand new 2019 Insight Touring. I have been drooling over the new accords and insights for a few months and committed to buying the Insight. Of course, as of now the new car purchase feeling has me loving the car, but have only driven it less than 20 miles. This will be my second new Honda; I previously owned a 2011 Accord Coupe, but traded for a Nissan Titan a few years later. I was an active member on TitanTalk Forums, and anticipate similar habits with this forum as well. I am a gearhead since my youth, and have grown out of loud V8 powerplants and don't necessarily care for the maintenance costs and appetite associated, especially for a daily driven vehicle 95% of the time. After carefully convincing my wife, and showing her the insight online, she was all thumbs up on the purchase and the dealership was willing to give me reasonable trade on my Titan, towards the purchase price. I am leery of the first model year trouble, but have been around Honda's as long as I can recall...first car was an '85 Accord.

I look forward to driving this car and the tech that it carries as well as any information or experiences I can share with the community. I enjoy tinkering with all sorts of things and find myself DIYing everything.

Regards,

btw, I want a Tesla, but will not pay that kind of money...yet
Like @hasarad said, this is a 3rd generation hybrid drive-train(1st generation was inside the 2014 Accord Hybrid, 2nd generation was inside the 2017 Accord Hybrid) built on the 10th gen civic platform which has already been in production for 3 years. The only thing new would probably be the display audio tablet and the software running it which comes from the 10th gen Accord introduced last year.

I wanted a Tesla but no garage to charge it prevented me from getting a model 3 or any other plug-in type car. I guess it's for the best because the Insight is more practical and I got a great deal on it. I'm sure you will love the car especially coming from a truck. All that money saved at the pump will put a smile on your face. See you around the forum @cantaffordatesla! :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. I have the highest confidence in Honda and the majority of the vehicles that they produce. Today was the first day to actually commute anywhere, besides home from the dealership. To work, at 4am, I averaged 51.2, from 48.6. The heat of the day and trying not to get run over had me driving more aggressively than I cared to, but I'm sure I can get used to easing the pedal, without irritating most. Yes, I am extremely happy so far, and appreciate the technology...coming from averaging 15ish mpg in the vk56 powered titan is a huge difference.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I have the highest confidence in Honda and the majority of the vehicles that they produce. Today was the first day to actually commute anywhere, besides home from the dealership. To work, at 4am, I averaged 51.2, from 48.6. The heat of the day and trying not to get run over had me driving more aggressively than I cared to, but I'm sure I can get used to easing the pedal, without irritating most. Yes, I am extremely happy so far, and appreciate the technology...coming from averaging 15ish mpg in the vk56 powered titan is a huge difference.
And when you want to - you can get on it and still get over double that gas mileage!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I can only imagine how happy you are. Coming from a Colorado (05 5cyl, with a lot of miles) our gas savings actually pays over half of the monthly payment for the new car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can only imagine how happy you are. Coming from a Colorado (05 5cyl, with a lot of miles) our gas savings actually pays over half of the monthly payment for the new car.

you bet. the best I ever got with the Nissan was 19 mpg, that took a lot of work to get there, with extremely careful driving. I was able to get 61 to work yesterday im sold

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wanted a Tesla too, but like @andrew28 I have no garage.

In hindsight there are clear advantages to owning an Insight. Less attention from other drivers or thieves; a carmaker that will definitely be open for the next decade (or two), guaranteeing service and replacement items; an interior that looks like they remembered to finish designing it. It's really grown on me.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
4,093 Posts
Re: Tesla - check out this video timeline on plug-in hybrids from Dec 2010 to Apr 2019 from InsideEVs. The timeline goes by fast (I watched it a couple times), but the rise of Tesla is undeniable (keep your eye on the purple bars), and the Clarity ranked in the bottom 1/3 at best. Teslas as so common now though, that I appreciate the Insight even more as a 'unique' car.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/374245/

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Re: Tesla - check out this video timeline on plug-in hybrids from Dec 2010 to Apr 2019 from InsideEVs. The timeline goes by fast (I watched it a couple times), but the rise of Tesla is undeniable (keep your eye on the purple bars), and the Clarity ranked in the bottom 1/3 at best. Teslas as so common now though, that I appreciate the Insight even more as a 'unique' car.

GM throwing their future away by discontinuing the Volt...

One of the main reasons I wanted a Tesla was the instant torque(you can't really speed in Boston due to traffic/low speed limits but some quick acceleration fun is doable:grin:), and the Insight being a partial series hybrid(parallel hybrid for Prius) sort of gives me a small taste of that. I wonder if more powerful series hybrid vehicles that aren't focused on fuel economy will take some buyers away from electric vehicles because you will get to experience one of the major benefits of an electric vehicle without needing a place to plug in/charge.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/05/26/why-every-vehicle-should-have-an-electric-motor-even-if-it-doesnt-have-a-plug/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks! I had looked into the Leaf as well, and found the average range, especially for early model years, lackluster...The Model 3 or a used S would have been a primary, but as mentioned in other comments on this thread, support, attention and uncertainty really deterred that as a realistic choice. I think if the price on the Chevy Bolt can come down some, it will be a contender in the market. I'm still thrilled and feel I made the right decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on your new Insight! I'm looking at a Touring myself and am loving the positive reviews I am reading. Best of luck and many happy efficient miles!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts