Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Purchased an Orchid White EX last weekend 3/29/19

I first checked out Edmunds and got an Edmunds Price Guarantee from two dealers.
The lesser of the two was $22,484, but it was for a specific Stock# & Vin#

Total MSRP $24,955 (which included $920 Destination Fee)
Edmunds Savings = -$2,551
Vehicle Price = $22,404
Dealer Documentation Fee = $80
Total Price $22,484 PLUS Tax/License

I then checked the Costco Auto Program https://www.costcoauto.com/
They don't send you a price, but refer you to the dealer that's part of their program. In my area there was ONLY one dealer who works with Costco. Below are the instructions Costco sends you.

Visit & Select
Meet with the Authorized Contact at the dealership and show your Costco membership card. Have the Authorized Dealer Contact help you select a vehicle.

View & Save
View the special Costco Member-Only Price Sheet, which shows your exclusive prearranged Costco member savings. Remember, you are entitled to applicable manufacturer rebates and incentives or special financing.

The vehicle you select may have an "Addendum Sticker" (displayed next to the MSRP/Window Sticker) listing additional dealer-installed items, such as window tinting, VIN etching, pin striping, etc. Costco members receive a 15% discount off the price listed for these items. These items are optional. If you prefer a vehicle without these items and they are not easily removable, please ask your Authorized Contact at the Costco dealership to review your options for acquiring an alternative vehicle, such as a factory order or dealer trade.

The Dealer Invoice shown was $23,362.33 (includes Destination Fee)
Special Costco pricing was -$400 off the invoice, so $22,962.33
The Dealer Incentive was -$500 off the invoice, so $22,462.33 (if purchased before 4/1/19)
Add the Dealer Doc Fee $85 = $22,547.33
I just asked my sales guy to match the Edmunds Price of $22,484 and he did no problem.

I live is California so our sales tax is 8.5%

My total price OTD was $24,576.23 with Wheel Locks & Door and Fender Edge Guards

I know some of you have gotten better pricing and more extras, but I enjoyed the NO HAGGLE, NO PRESSURE atmosphere. I use to sell cars and I know as long as you can get a car OTD either AT MSRP or BELOW MSRP (including all the extras) it's a decent deal. Besides, even before I committed to the car the Costco sales guy spent over an hour going over all the features and through every single setting on the steering wheel as well as all through infotainment center.

Another benefit to going through the Costco Auto Program is the following.

Complete a satisfaction survey after your purchase for additional savings

If you purchase a new or select pre-owned vehicle, complete a Costco Auto Program member satisfaction survey within 30 days to receive a 50% off coupon** – good toward parts, service and accessories at the dealership where the vehicle was purchased.
Complete a satisfaction survey after your purchase for additional savings

If you purchase a new or select pre-owned vehicle, complete a Costco Auto Program member satisfaction survey within 30 days to receive a 50% off coupon** – good toward parts, service and accessories at the dealership where the vehicle was purchased.

• Executive Members receive 50% off, up to a maximum of $200 in savings
  • Gold Star and Business Members receive 50% off, up to a maximum of $100 in savings
Saw the postings of swapping out the interior light bulbs to LED's and got mine through Amazon. Not bad to get it all done for just $22

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VORB7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Going to use my 50% off coupon for All Season Floor Mats, Trunk Tray, Splash Guards and whatever else that adds up to the $200 in savings.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,277 Posts
Welcome to the Insight party! The three add-ons you listed are the best three you could ask for. Review the all-season mats though. The Honda mats pale in comparison to the Husky mats or the Civic Weathertech mats (that fit the Insight). Both offer better coverage than the Honda mats. The LED interior upgrade is a nice touch as well.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,234 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, and welcome! I was surprised to read that your dealer provided an incentive on the Insight. It's the first incentive I've heard of that applies to the Insight/Clarity. Perhaps buying toward end of 2019 Insight model year helped in this regard? Either way, great deal for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your comment. I did not purchase it end of year, it was just towards the end of the month if that's what you intentionally meant. The dealer incentive was stated on the price sheet - $500 discount if purchase was made by 4/1/19. I'm sure the same $500 incentive is carried over month to month and assume April's price sheet showed 5/1/19.

The $500 dealer incentive is just that, an incentive from the dealer to make a purchase. Under a regular sale a dealer will easily discount a car $500 without blinking, however it may include some type of negotiation. With the Costco program I think associated dealers just offer it right off the top. Thus combining the $500 with Costco's agreed discount of $400 for a total of $900 OFF INVOICE does appear to be a pretty good deal from the start and all without the haggling making the buying experience enjoyable rather than stressful and utterly time consuming.

BTW - I'm "sEXzNsite", but also "SRL". Having a hard time with the log-in and waiting for the administrator to correct.

·
Administrator
4,234 Posts
I was thinking 'end of model year' as we're within ~2 months of when the 2020 model will likely start selling (late June). When I bought my Insight in Oct 2018, the only incentives offered were lower interest rates, and those incentives only applied to gas models.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was thinking 'end of model year' as we're within ~2 months of when the 2020 model will likely start selling (late June). When I bought my Insight in Oct 2018, the only incentives offered were lower interest rates, and those incentives only applied to gas models.
Geez, I should have waited for the 2020 to see what features/changes they would have made. Maybe blind spot monitoring and toning down on the droning noise would have been a good start. If I waited I probably could have gotten the 2019 much cheaper if i didn't opt for the 2020 model.... :(

·
Administrator
4,234 Posts
Several of us in the forum are curious as to what the 2020 model will bring. It could add features from the Japanese model or might follow Honda's more typical transition/refresh model where cars stay the same until refreshed ~3 years after launch. Either way, the car is a great value and looks great even in its current state... so I hope you enjoy with the rest of us.

When I tried for the Costco discount on a new 2018 Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing, the pre-negotiated discount was a highly laughable -$25 from invoice. They showed me the full 'menu' of Costco prices by model because I told them I didn't believe the -$25 discount. The 2018 Civics with Honda Sensing weren't discounted because it was becoming a standard feature for the 2019 models. (The Costco discount on the 2019 Insight was -$300 from invoice at the time.)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Honda vehicles usually aren't discounted by much unless you happen to find a dealership desperate to reach an end of the quarter/year incentive from Honda. It keeps resale values high when you don't discount your vehicles much. No fleet sales to car rental companies also prevents Honda vehicles from flooding the preowned market.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Going to use my 50% off coupon for All Season Floor Mats, Trunk Tray, Splash Guards and whatever else that adds up to the $200 in savings.
CONGRATS (+1 another California Insight Owner) and welcome to the gas-sippin-LED-awesomeness-ECO-friendly-doesn't-look-Hybrid-Car! I'm always smiling when I'm in my Insight and get to hit the road. I would recommend a non-branded Trunk Tray if you'd like to save $60+ dollars. Like this one: eBay. I just installed my splash guards today! They look killer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just skimmed the thread, so forgive me if this was discussed earlier but what kind of gas are you using? I've been using a cheap local brand that I think is low quality and suspect it has to do with my inability to crack the low 50 mpgs. I am seriously considering the much more expensive Chevron gas to see what kind of mileage I get. But even if it's an improvement in mileage, it may be a wash in cost.
gremal, I see you're also in the SF Bay Area. Where about do you live? In the city of SF, peninsula or East Bay. I live in the city and I can't break 49 mpg - I think it's mainly due to the hills. I do occasionally get the 60-70+ mpg on shorter trips where I can use EV more, but it seems the overall average still hovers around 49. i might be wrong, but I'm guessing the gents who are getting 50+ mpg during their commutes perhaps don't have the hilly city terrain as us in the Bay Area or we're just more of a lead foot :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
gremal, I see you're also in the SF Bay Area. Where about do you live? In the city of SF, peninsula or East Bay. I live in the city and I can't break 49 mpg - I think it's mainly due to the hills. I do occasionally get the 60-70+ mpg on shorter trips where I can use EV more, but it seems the overall average still hovers around 49. i might be wrong, but I'm guessing the gents who are getting 50+ mpg during their commutes perhaps don't have the hilly city terrain as us in the Bay Area or we're just more of a lead foot :wink:
I live in the East Bay and work in SF near Fisherman's Wharf. Some days I commute by BART and walk across town, sometimes I telecommute and sometimes I drive the Insight to work if I can do early hours. I can consistently get >50 mpg if I exercise a bit of discipline to keep the dial in the blue area. I think the Insight does well on hilly areas, as long as what goes up comes down, so you can use the regen and not accelerate too hard up hills. It's just the extended uphills and downhills of more than a mile where it hurts the mpg, like on my ride to Muir beach a couple weeks ago.

The other thing that really helps me stay above 50 mpg is to put the car in ACC mode in heavy traffic (Bay Bridge). The Insight seems to be designed for optimal performance in heavy traffic, and one can assume our area is just going to keep getting worse. I would just say you shouldn't take the hills too fast and keep an eye on the dial to keep it in the blue area. Also use the left hand paddle as you coast downhill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts