Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've had my 2022 Insight EX for a few months now and its been pretty alright.
I wanted a Corolla Hybrid for the better highway mpg (also more of a Toyota guy), but due to the current car market and availability I went with the Insight instead. All Corolla Hybrids within a 100 mile radius were minimum 3 week wait at the time; and you still can't get one today either.
Sold my 2009 Prius for $6200 to capitalize on the state of the current used market; went to a nice lady whose Camry Hybrid was totalled by a garbage truck....

I've been averaging about 53-54 mpg on a tank, with somewhere in the low 52s overall since I purchased the car. Its got about 2600 miles so far.
It hasn't left Eco mode since I drove off the lot :)
I used to get 50mpg in the summer with my Prius on special eco tires. Was getting 47mpg summer before I sold it, but that was on normal tires.
I think I've got some skill for this kind of driving lol

I'll have a few questions here before long.
I am going to retrofit fog lights to the car with an eBay kit. I was not buying a Touring trim just for that (lower mpg and I dislike large wheels) and the Honda kit is overpriced.
I've got an issue with the audible alerts being so quiet that I need the radio off completely to hear them.
And I have been wanting to install a dash cam, but not sure how to go about it. Was wondering if there'd be a way to do it where the cam could be basically hot swappable (I own multiple cars and ideally I could have one cam I just swap between cars as I see fit).

Reactions: jensight

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard!

Have you reviewed the existing threads about fog lights and dash cams? The search works a lot better than on the other car forum I use. For example:

Thanks!

I have not had a chance to look at those threads, but I will do so.
Based on my preliminary search, seems like the bumper has to come off for the fog light install. Kind of a shame, never had a car where that was necessary before.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
42 Posts
I've got an issue with the audible alerts being so quiet that I need the radio off completely to hear them.
And I have been wanting to install a dash cam, but not sure how to go about it. Was wondering if there'd be a way to do it where the cam could be basically hot swappable (I own multiple cars and ideally I could have one cam I just swap between cars as I see fit).
The pedestrian warning sound volume is not adjustable but it is speed dependent and is louder at higher speeds and is also louder in reverse so I wouldn't be too worried if you can't hear it yourself inside the car.

Many dash cams could be hot swapped if you purchase extra mounts and power cables. I installed a VIOFO A129 Plus Duo in my Insight and VIOFO sells extra mounts on their website. I would highly recommend installing a fused hardwire kit so you don't have to plug it into the cigarette lighter outlet, though that would require installing one hardwire kit in each car you intend to use it in and just transferring the camera body itself. The VIOFO cameras are especially nice for hot swapping because you can plug the power cable into the windshield mount itself and not have to worry about plugging and unplugging it from the camera body every time you move it to a new vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pedestrian warning sound volume is not adjustable but it is speed dependent and is louder at higher speeds and is also louder in reverse so I wouldn't be too worried if you can't hear it yourself inside the car.

Many dash cams could be hot swapped if you purchase extra mounts and power cables. I installed a VIOFO A129 Plus Duo in my Insight and VIOFO sells extra mounts on their website. I would highly recommend installing a fused hardwire kit so you don't have to plug it into the cigarette lighter outlet, though that would require installing one hardwire kit in each car you intend to use it in and just transferring the camera body itself. The VIOFO cameras are especially nice for hot swapping because you can plug the power cable into the windshield mount itself and not have to worry about plugging and unplugging it from the camera body every time you move it to a new vehicle.
Pedestrian warning sound? I'm talking about the blind spot alert, lane departure alert, so and so forth. I can't hear them at all unless the radio is off and I'm not on the phone.

Thanks for the tip on the viofo cameras.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pedestrian warning sound? I'm talking about the blind spot alert, lane departure alert, so and so forth. I can't hear them at all unless the radio is off and I'm not on the phone.
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your concern. Those alerts should definitely be audible above your radio, mine are plenty loud. Have you mentioned that to your dealer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your concern. Those alerts should definitely be audible above your radio, mine are plenty loud. Have you mentioned that to your dealer?
The sales rep texted me a couple weeks after I got the car and I asked if there was a way to increase the volume, but have not heard anything back yet. I could reach back out to them again if I need to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The sales rep texted me a couple weeks after I got the car and I asked if there was a way to increase the volume, but have not heard anything back yet. I could reach back out to them again if I need to.
I actually just checked the owner's manual and it looks like you can adjust the alarm volume in the vehicle settings. Have you checked that setting yet?

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
209 Posts
Indeed even real world testing by Car and Driver of the Corolla Hybrid LE (one trim only available, equiv to Insight EX?), shows that it gets 56 mpg under their 75 mph highway test. So this is not a case of the Hyundai Elantra Hybrid playing to the EPA test and getting lower real-world efficiency. C/D tested the Insight Touring (they apparently test top trims available) which 47 mpg in their 75 mph hwy test. (I'm guessing an EX might at 51 mpg? based on the EPA difference between LX/EX and Touring models).

Hello, I've had my 2022 Insight EX for a few months now and its been pretty alright.
I wanted a Corolla Hybrid for the better highway mpg (also more of a Toyota guy), but due to the current car market and availability I went with the Insight instead. All Corolla Hybrids within a 100 mile radius were minimum 3 week wait at the time; and you still can't get one today either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed even real world testing by Car and Driver of the Corolla Hybrid LE (one trim only available, equiv to Insight EX?), shows that it gets 56 mpg under their 75 mph highway test. So this is not a case of the Hyundai Elantra Hybrid playing to the EPA test and getting lower real-world efficiency. C/D tested the Insight Touring (they apparently test top trims available) which 47 mpg in their 75 mph hwy test. (I'm guessing an EX might at 51 mpg? based on the EPA difference between LX/EX and Touring models).
Yea, with my current commute the improved highway economy would've been nice.
I do appreciate that the Insight has blind spot monitoring standard, whereas it's optional in the Corolla.

I believe, based on my research, the reason behind the difference in economy comparing the Insight and Corolla is the transmission. The Toyota eCVT is fantastic, and it's variable ratios let it cruise in a tall gear ratio for the benefits that offers. Where I'm fairly certain the Insight has a single set gear ratio (?) So it's too short for the same mpg at highway speeds; but the serial hybrid setup is superior to Toyota in city driving.
Could be completely wrong, but that's what I found while researching the two cars.
I would've considered the Hyundai, but they were also unavailable and we're all marked up at least $4k over MSRP, so that was out of the question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually just checked the owner's manual and it looks like you can adjust the alarm volume in the vehicle settings. Have you checked that setting yet?
I checked that setting earlier when I finally drove it this weekend, and it was defaulted to "mid."
I changed it to High, but so far it doesn't seem to be much louder.
Tried to test it on an empty highway on the way home tonight with the lane departure, but I heard nothing with my music going at typical volumes. I will test it again on the way to work with the blind spot since the highway will be busy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts