Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I bought a 2019 EX a few weeks ago. Got the white exterior/black interior. I really loved the dark blue exterior, but unfortunately it only came with a white interior, which was very sharp, but I park a couple of days a week in parking garage in the city, and I knew that upholstery wouldn't stay white very long!

My previous car was a 2004 Civic, and I would have like to have kept it at least another year (it got great gas mileage), but a guy rear-ended me while I was stopped at a stop sign, and while the car was repairable, his insurance company called it totaled, since the repair would cost more than its value.

Wow, what a difference it is driving a 2019 car after driving a 15-year-old car! I love all the bells and whistles, and am trying to learn how to drive this hybrid most efficiently to get the best gas mileage. I know this isn't the right thread for questions, but if anyone could point me to some info about the paddles, I would appreciate it. I pretty much understand and use the left paddle, but don't understand when to use the right one.

Nice to meet everyone and thanks!
Susan

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Hi, Susan. Welcome to the forum!

The right paddle reduces the amount of regeneration/deceleration. In Eco and Normal modes, the right paddle is somewhat 'optional' since the regen level selected by the left paddle is only temporary until you accelerate or stop. In Sport mode, the right paddle reduces the regen level and stays set there; though regen only occurs in Sport mode when you're coasting with foot off the accelerator.

Another way to use the right paddle is on hills. On steep grades, you can use the left paddle maximize regen and slow the car down and/or maintain speed. Nearing the bottom of the hill where the car starts to slow (less momentum), you can use the right paddle to decrease the regen so the car has less rolling resistance. I do this before putting my foot on the accelerator to capture as much battery charge as possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts