Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New owner as of a week ago today! I’ve been super concerned about my mpg and stalking the forums lol. I do A LOT of driving (~85% is state highways and interstates) and over the course of the 750 or so miles I drove this week, I averaged 33 on this last tank and 35 mpg lifetime, which was basically what I was getting in my Civic Hatch Sport Touring.

I’ve kept it in normal mode, mostly stayed in the blue/green, and it’s been driving me insane. Also, it’s been in the 20s here all week (the cold, flat plains of Indiana), so I’m sure that hasn’t helped.

I could tell shortly after buying the car that there was a balance issue with the tires, so today was the first chance my schedule allowed to get to the dealership for them to look at it. Sure enough, both front tires were out of balance. My drive to the dealership is 10 mins city driving (stop and go) and 45 mins highway (ACC set at 75). Averaged 33 mph on the way there, but on the way back averaged 38 on the highway and was 41 by the time I got home! I’d never had a single drive like that and was SO relieved!!

I hope it bumps up more when it gets warmer, but I’d appreciate any advice y’all have in the meantime, because it’s still not quite up to par with what it seems everyone else is getting.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Insight.

How many miles were on the odometer when you purchased? Seems odd that tires were already out of balance.

Maybe give Eco mode a try (vs Normal). It tempers the throttle position, so you should 'instantly' get better mileage, especially in city driving.

What speed(s) do you typically average on highways? Over 65-70 mph, you'll start to see fuel economy results that are worse than EPA rating (51 city / 45 highway).

The cold (20s F) temps definitely don't help fuel efficiency, and there's a direct correlation to mpg and temperature for hybrid (and electric) cars due to battery dis/charge cycle in cold weather. You'll also tend to see better mpg once the engine and battery are warm (e.g. on return drive from dealer).

Terrain also plays a role; hills hurt mpg. Does your drive include significant elevation changes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Insight.

How many miles were on the odometer when you purchased? Seems odd that tires were already out of balance.

Maybe give Eco mode a try (vs Normal). It tempers the throttle position, so you should 'instantly' get better mileage, especially in city driving.

What speed(s) do you typically average on highways? Over 65-70 mph, you'll start to see fuel economy results that are worse than EPA rating (51 city / 45 highway).

The cold (20s F) temps definitely don't help fuel efficiency, and there's a direct correlation to mpg and temperature for hybrid (and electric) cars due to battery dis/charge cycle in cold weather. You'll also tend to see better mpg once the engine and battery are warm (e.g. on return drive from dealer).

Terrain also plays a role; hills hurt mpg. Does your drive include significant elevation changes?
Thanks for the prompt reply! I picked it up at 50 miles on the odometer. And I ave eco mode a shot when I first got it, but after the mpg issues, I switched to normal to try it out. I remembered with my old Civic that eco mode never actually made a significant difference compared to normal. But I’ll definitely have to give eco mode another shot now!

I used to go a steady 80mph on the highway, but I’ve bumped it down to 75mph. That’s definitely still part of the issue then too.

There are a handful of small hills where I drive, but it’s generally pretty flat here in Indiana.

I also read in another post that the climate control plays a role as well, so I’ve bumped that down to 70F from 75F. Guess I could try sending that a little lower too lol.

I’m definitely excited about trying to try different things out now that the tire balancing seemed to help out.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I’m definitely excited about trying to try different things out now that the tire balancing seemed to help out.
Did the dealer make any comment on how/why the balancing was off with so few miles on the car? Seems like a head-scratcher to me...

There are a lot more factors to consider on hybrids than conventional gas engines. And because of it, mpg results are more varied depending on driver/technique.

Here are some additional threads to help choose the techniques to apply to your driving:

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is a car for stop and go highway traffic and city driving. I have a lifetime 50.3 mpg with 16k miles. When I have taken it on trips, I get maybe mid 40’s mpg . Hopefully break in and tire balancing will improve your mpg but 33-35 does not sound right.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I managed to travel 29k without resetting trip B until recently, and the average mileage calculated by the car over all those miles was 38.1mpg.

40 miles of 79mph interstate and 60 miles of 63 mph two lane every day.

The published fuel economy numbers are not achievable in this scenario. The car is too sensitive.

The car was probably designed per the EPA city drive cycle test which has an average speed of 21.2 mph.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
The published fuel economy numbers are not achievable in this scenario. The car is too sensitive.

The car was probably designed per the EPA city drive cycle test which has an average speed of 21.2 mph.
The EPA highway tests are done at average speed of 48.3 mph, and a top speed of 60 mph. EPA city tests are average speed of 21.2 mph and a top speed of 56 mph. - Highway Driving

·
Registered
143 Posts
the nuance that you trampled over there was that this car is most likely designed around the city cycle and so maybe charge/discharge/ICE algorithms are biased towards those conditions over highway conditions.

generally regular cars get better highway mileage than city. remember at highway speeds, the Insight is like a regular car with its engine directly coupled to the wheels, but it isn't reflected in the mileage. Like the engine is over-tasked to carry the car along at that speed as efficiently.

the good news is 38 is still pretty good, but probably not worth the added cost of hybrid tech for a highway driver over the lifetime of the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
The 20-degree temps and highway driving are the main factors on your poor mileage. If this is your first hybrid, expect a learning curve. I'm curious of a few other potential issues:

Do you garage your car? The warmer you start out, the less time it takes before EV mode gets enabled.
What is the average length of your drive? Short drives, especially with a cold engine, kill mpg numbers.
Do you use the cabin heat? If so, what temp do you have it set at? When the cabin heat is actively heating, EV mode is disabled. On a short drive, you'd never experience EV mode.

Based on forum experiences, warmer weather and summer gas should give you a 20%ish bump in mpg. These cars do get better the more they're driven. This is due to car break-in as well as driver familiarity.

I have a different environment (hilly) than you along with much slower side-road speeds and consistently beat EPA numbers. If you can hang in the blue/green power areas, you should be able to meet/exceed them. Give it time and a few thousand miles to get familiar with your Insight. Most important, don't get disheartened about your numbers. It's winter. If spring hits and you'r still not able to put up awesome numbers, I'll be surprised. Also, giving your car a name and registering on fuelly.com will allow us to follow along and is a great place to keep track of your stats.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Insight!

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
the nuance that you trampled over there was that this car is most likely designed around the city cycle and so maybe charge/discharge/ICE algorithms are biased towards those conditions over highway conditions.
Yes, it'd be nice to have background/detail on Honda's hybrid algorithm. (Anyone in forum have inside scoop yet?) But clearly based on the fuel economy ratings, the Insight is "tuned" toward city driving rather than highway efficiency while the Prius ratings are in opposite proportion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the help and advice, y’all!! Here’s an update after my commute today...

Each way:
85 miles w/ ACC @ 60mph
43 miles w/ ACC @ 70mph
3 miles @ ~20-35 mph city driving
Relatively flat terrain
No remote start
Passive heat

The morning drive was 35F. Kept it in normal mode. Ended the drive at 43.8 mpg. The afternoon drive was 52F. Kept it in ECO mode this time and I ended the drive at a whopping 51.6 mpg!! I couldn’t have been more ecstatic!!! I’m sure it was a combination of several factors, but I literally can’t thank y’all enough for all the advice!!!

(Side note: also finally got Fuelly set up and my first full journey logged in there, so that’s exciting too)

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Thanks for all of the help and advice, y’all!! Here’s an update after my commute today...

Each way:
85 miles w/ ACC @ 60mph
43 miles w/ ACC @ 70mph
3 miles @ ~20-35 mph city driving
Relatively flat terrain
No remote start
Passive heat

The morning drive was 35F. Kept it in normal mode. Ended the drive at 43.8 mpg. The afternoon drive was 52F. Kept it in ECO mode this time and I ended the drive at a whopping 51.6 mpg!! I couldn’t have been more ecstatic!!! I’m sure it was a combination of several factors, but I literally can’t thank y’all enough for all the advice!!!

(Side note: also finally got Fuelly set up and my first full journey logged in there, so that’s exciting too)
Nice job, looking forward to see what you get once Spring arrives. :)(y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts