Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Touring, red
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, glad to have found this forum. Bought our 2021 Touring on 29Dec. With the dealership 80 miles away and not knowing any hybrid driving tips, I got under 35 mpg for return. Have been reading and watching much in order to learn and improve since then. Once virtual work is over (please), my 12-mile commute will resume, which is a mix of: 2 miles stop-and-go city traffic, then 3-4 miles on state and county highway, then 6 miles of unpredictable-for-flow residential/suburban traffic, totalling about 35-40 minutes. On weekends, we get on the interstate for 20 miles to do suburban-environment shopping here and there. Thanks ahead of time for any tips and resources, especially for driving modes and paddle use.

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you're the first forum member who owns the new Radiant Red exterior color for a 2021 Touring (adding to @MACT's Radiant Red 2021 EX).

From what you described, it sounds like the majority (8 miles) of your daily commute will be in city traffic/speeds. That's a range where the Insight excels, and you should see high fuel economy especially when combined with Eco mode. City speeds are also ideal for using the regen paddles; but also keep in mind that 'initial travel' of the brake pedal is also regenerative (even without use of the paddles).

For the ~4 miles of highway travel, keep in mind that EPA highway ratings are based on ~60 mph. Above ~65 mph, you'll see a hit to fuel economy, as the gas engine (ICE) runs more to direct-drive the wheels. So on highways, speed and fuel economy are a trade-off. Hypermiler @Moviemike finds Normal mode is best for highways, and @hasarad offers good tips for using the "Power/Charge" (green / blue / gray) meter to manage drives.

For weekend trips, note that short drives can hurt fuel economy especially in cold weather (and if cabin heat is being used). The time it takes for the ICE to warm up is best offset by longer (5+ mile?) drives. You could also consider passive heating to reduce ICE run time, as it's the primary source for heating. And a new tip that was shared by @mcm626 is the use of Sport + EV + max Regen to improve fuel economy especially in cold weather.

Two other 'quick tips' to offer: 1) Hybrids take a 30% fuel economy hit in cold weather, so your results will 'naturally' improve as the weather warms up. 2) Terrain (hills in particular) can be a fuel economy killer, so understanding elevation changes can help optimize your results; "rolling" terrain seems to be optimal for the Insight to build/use HV battery charge.

·
Registered
2021 Touring, red
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the reply, links, and tips. I'm feeling less inadequate per your advisory re the 30% fuel economy hit in winter. I guess I have already been using and will use (overmuch?) entertainment and comfort options we wanted when deciding on the Touring, so we will never be hypermilers. But I will give the passive heating a try, plus note the tips for terrain and elevation, and green vs. blue in the Power/Charge meter tip. Interesting that we seem the first on the forum with Touring level of radiant red. But IIRC, red is new this year, isn't it. Thank you again.

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
Interesting that we seem the first on the forum with Touring level of radiant red. But IIRC, red is new this year, isn't it.
The Radiant Red exterior is new for 2021. It's a 'brighter' red and is shared by the Accord. The former red exterior for the Insight was a 'darker' Crimson Pearl for 2019/2020 models. Semi side-by-side picture comparison - 2021 Inventory is Here!

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
I guess I have already been using and will use (overmuch?) entertainment and comfort options we wanted when deciding on the Touring, so we will never be hypermilers. But I will give the passive heating a try, plus note the tips for terrain and elevation, and green vs. blue in the Power/Charge meter tip.
Given that you have the Touring using the heated seats (and A/C in warmer weather) are mostly 'electrically' powered. You should be able to use those systems with less impact to fuel economy.

Using the cabin climate control keeps the ICE running to generate heat, so directly hurts fuel economy and is where 'help' comes from with passive heating. Coordinating periods of heating with 'normal' ICE usage (vs forced ICE usage via climate control), or strategically ramping up temps can help balance comfort and fuel economy, if desired.

Remote start in the Touring activates both the heated seats and the climate control system, and as @hasarad reminds, results in 0 mpg for the fuel used. For perspective, @mgldan also shared some math on estimated gas used by remote start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts