Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I had a rock go THROUGH my front license plate last year. I was able to hammer it back out, but it never looked "new" again. I bit the bullet and ordered personalized license plates. I got an email today from NJ MVC that my request was approved. Yay! The downer is that I need to wait 8-10 weeks for them to arrive. :( Will post pics once I get them on Simcoe.

Reactions: andrew28

·
Registered
2020 Insight Touring, Crimson Pearl #10051
28 Posts
I was going to ask for an update, but then noticed the 8-10 weeks.
I'm unfortunately stuck with generic plates until May. The out of state dealer insisted they had to register the car, and when I finally got the plates this week (about a day before the 30-day temp expired), I asked the city vehicle registration office about transferring my vanity plates over, and was told I couldn't do that since the car was now already registered. So my vanity plates are sitting on my old (unused) car next to the driveway, and I'm driving generic number plates until I can do an early renewal in May.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My new plates showed up today! I put them on, but I don't know when I'll be able to go anywhere! I was totally shocked when they showed up in the mail today. Apparently license plate making is an essential business now?

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hasarad
Don't you have stickers to put on those?
The only stickers we need in NJ these days are the red rectangles at the top-left indicating new GDL drivers. Since my son hasn't completed his six hours of behind the wheel yet, there's no chance he'll be driving my car anytime soon. :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,999 Posts
In MA, they provide us a small square sticker to put on the plate to indicate when it expires.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
The only stickers we need in NJ these days are the red rectangles at the top-left indicating new GDL drivers. Since my son hasn't completed his six hours of behind the wheel yet, there's no chance he'll be driving my car anytime soon. :)
I also recall your mention of 4 years of registration fees due at time of new car purchase is standard in NJ. Did the remaining registration auto-transfer to your new plates?
Also FWIW per Wikipedia, NJ tried to implement stickering In 1999 but ended it in 2004 (for stickers due to expire in 2005). Since then passenger and non-passenger license plates are re-validated with just the registration card issued to the driver. The square for the sticker tags was removed from NJ plates after that time.

I also noticed that the NJ state shape is missing from your new plates. Is that a "feature" of personalized NJ plates, or a new design? Did you get to select the background format?

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also recall your mention of 4 years of registration fees due at time of new car purchase is standard in NJ. Did the remaining registration auto-transfer to your new plates?

I also noticed that the NJ state shape is missing from your new plates. Is that a "feature" of personalized NJ plates, or a new design? Did you get to select the background format?
My existing registration transferred to the new plates. I received a card showing the old and new plate numbers indicating it was temporary until July by which time my new registration card with the new plate number would arrive.

The missing NJ shape in the center of the plate is missing on personalized plates. This is due to the fact that personalized NJ plates can have seven characters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts