Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the right place for this topic as a "heads-up", but this seemed like the closest logical place...

A co-worker bought the 2018 Accord Hybrid a few months before I bought the 2019 Insight. He just received a mailed recall notice advising of battery and electrical system issues. We both lamented, because that's the exact LAST thing you want to hear for a new hybrid. The recall notice was not related to the rearview/back-up camera, and he was not part of that prior recall. The back-up camera recall is the only one listed for the 2018 Accord on the Honda and NHTSA websites as of today.

Since the innards of the Insight are closely related to the Accord Hybrid, I was concerned. Even more concerning is that no Honda or NHTSA site mentions this recall yet, but Accord Hybrid owners are receiving notices. Aren't recall notices supposed to be public and timely, for safety purposes -? Hopefully Honda isn't playing games with communication as a strategy to avoid sales losses... and hoping the 2019 Insight isn't next on the list for this recall issue.

I'll post copy of the 2018 Accord Hybrid recall notice for reference, once my co-worker provides.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what I've read elsewhere, this post is very misleading. There is no actual recall of anything faulty. It's an update to procedures and legal jargon in case a battery needs replacing, nothing more. Please search for more complete details on it.

·
Administrator
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read elsewhere, this post is very misleading. There is no actual recall of anything faulty. It's an update to procedures and legal jargon in case a battery needs replacing, nothing more. Please search for more complete details on it.
I couldn't find info online for this as mentioned, and will share the recall notice once I receive copy from co-worker. If you've found better information on this, could you share here?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’d also argue that the Insight is closer to the Civic than the Accord, further reason to not be concerned about the Accord issue.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10152399-0001.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10152400-0001.pdf
^This is probably what you're referring to @insightfully.

A bug with the battery software when an incorrect hybrid battery pack is installed. The error that results will indicate to replace with proper hybrid battery. Even after replacing with the proper hybrid battery pack, the software will still indicate, hybrid battery pack needs replacing. The new battery software update will fix this so it wouldn't show up when a proper hybrid battery pack is installed afterwards.

·
Administrator
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Attached is the "recall" notice that co-worker received:
- It is titled "recall" in the header, as co-worker mentioned... but apparently Honda uses this term interchangeably with TSB (# listed at bottom).
- Adding to confusion, the "Honda Owners" site says "NO RECALL" when the specific VIN is entered. No indication of the TSB comes up.
- Only the NHTSA site lists information on this letter, and it calls it "MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION" rather than "recall" or "TSB" in the way Honda does.

Software update is listed as the short-term fix, but what the heck is an "incorrect hybrid battery pack"? The letter gave the impression that "incorrect" battery was in the car, and would need replacement via this recall/TSB. This battery replacement is what caused concern.

If nothing else, I'm taking away from this the following:
1) the Honda recall site does not provide full list of issues, even if you enter a VIN - https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls
2) Honda uses "Recall" and "TSB" interchangeably in the same letter
3) only the NHTSA site has complete information on both Recalls and TSBs, but TSBs are called "manufacturer communications" - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/HONDA/ACCORD%2520HYBRID#manufacturerCommunications

===
@thesears - The Insight engine/battery innards are most like the Accord Hybrid, while the body/frame is like the Civic. The Insight is a 'hybrid' of the two.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts