Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on Honda number 16 - first was a '75 Civic Hatch and have never driven anything else.
Strongly considering a new Insight, but have a simple question.

I drive very little - 6 miles back and forth to work and, right now, taking care of elderly parents so I really can't go "away"

Is this type of driving going to be problematic for the battery charging?

Thanks in advance.(y)

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm a longtime Honda devotee as well, but nowhere near 16 Hondas owned...

Are you considering purchase of an Insight, or do you own one already? Is this the first Honda hybrid you've looked at? Is the 6 mile daily drive total round trip, or 6 miles each way (12 miles total)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - just considering it now. I've got an '18 Civic hatchback sport that I love. And, 6 miles each way - about half at 55 mph and half at 35 or so.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I'm a relatively low-mileage daily driver, due to splitting time between cars (all Hondas). This is my first hybrid, and I've owned my Insight for about 1.5 years.

Honda advises that the Insight should be run at least 30 minutes every 3 months for HV battery health. If the HV battery discharges too far, the car may not start (interlock check at start-up). Toyota makes identical time/interval recommendation to keep the Prius HV battery healthy as well. The longest I've gone between driving my Insight is 6 weeks, and I haven't experienced any issue so far with the HV battery nor 12V battery.

For the speeds you listed, you should be able to get at/better than the EPA mpg ratings. A few other factors to consider for mpg impact are terrain and ambient temperatures. You'll get the best mpg when the run time for the gas engine is minimized; things like high speeds (>65 mph), climbing hills, running heat to warm the cabin triggers the gas engine to run, lowering mpg.

This additional thread may be of interest, with forum thoughts to a Civic owner considering Insight purchase: Civic owner, considering future Insight purchase...

It's a great time to consider the Insight, as dealers are anxious (sales are down -50+% versus last year) and it's the first time Honda is offering incentives that apply to the Insight. The posted incentive lapsed on 5/4, but with gas prices being so low and hybrid sales are down... there's extra room for price negotiation.

While you're shopping, be sure to check out the "age" of the car by checking the manufacturing date on the driver's side sticker. If the car has been on lot more than 3 months and dealer hasn't run the car regularly, be sure to have delaer check battery health. If it's been on lot more than a year, also consider requesting that fluids be changed before delivery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the helpful info - I've always gotten about 10% higher mileage with my Hondas than EPA estimates due to the way I drive. My area is flat as a pancake - zero hills other than bridges - LOL. But, winter is brutal and it does affect mileage. The 12 mile round trip is 7 days a week, so it sounds like it would be fine.

Actually, one of the reasons I'm thinking about the change is that my Civic is one of the ones that is affected by the oil dilution issues. I did a one time pay lease and I have one year left. I've not been happy with the way this issue has been handled and I'm considering approaching my dealership about getting me out of the lease and into the Insight.

I LOVE the design of the Civic Sport Hatchback....may be my favorite Honda so far, but there are things that are troubling with the long term health of the car. I liked it so much out of the gate that I had considered buying it out and keeping it for many years....which is one of the reasons I'm so disappointed.

I've driven Hondas for so long, in part because of the low emissions. This Civic in it's current state is not a low emission vehicle.

I know the Insight would be much, much better:)

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, but a six mile commute may not be the best environment for an Insight. As much as I'd love to tell you it would be the best choice, a plain ol' Civic may better fit the need. The Insight does best with a long, low-speed commute. This is even more important if you live in a temperate area where winters are cold. Your first mile or so will not take advantage of EV mode due to the engine needing to get to operating temperature before that happens. With all that said, you'll likely match a Civics MPG numbers (and maybe exceed) provided you don't drive highway during that short commute.

If you can match the numbers, you'll find the Insight more fun to drive - not to mention more comfortable. It has better tech. It sits lower to the road. Compared to my wife's 2018 Civic, my Insight seems to handle better and feels a little more upscale - and I have an EX Insight (not wealthy, so I don't have touring money).

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
  • Re-gen braking
  • Newer infotainment system and steering wheel from Accord
  • Insight exterior & interior styling
  • Rare Honda, very few on the roads
  • Fuel savings
  • Lower emissions
  • No fuel dilution due to port injection
  • IIHS Safety Pick+ rating on all Insight trims
If you like all of the above then the Insight would be a good Civic replacement. I'm a low mileage driver and bought the Insight even though I most likely won't make up for it with fuel savings vs a Civic. So financially it didn't make sense but I like the additional things it offers on top of the Civic. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts