Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an Insight Touring last Saturday, had a deposit for a Tesla Model 3 but after a few days, I just didn't feel it was worth it. Coming from a 2017 Honda Civic VTI-LX (Australian spec) to 2019 Insight Touring (USA spec), I'm very impressed. It's very rare I hear the engine noise with the San Francisco Bay Area commute traffic. 2nd full day driving today and it showed I did 58.6 mpg, yesterday was 56.6, I'm totally blown away.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Congrats on your new Insight. Great mpg results so far, especially for initial days of driving. Sounds like you may have an 'ideal commute' like @hasarad. How many miles do you drive on average each way?

...and how does one get an Australian spec Civic in the US? I've read that the GenX Civic in Australia had power folding mirrors (via button) and a cupholder setup that US Civic owners coveted. Did you already own the car in Australia, and move to the US with it? Do you keep the Civic, or did you have any trouble selling it in the US?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase--even over a Tesla!
I did my second fill up on my LX this week--averaged 60.9 mpg! I love it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on your new Insight. Great mpg results so far, especially for initial days of driving. Sounds like you may have an 'ideal commute' like @hasarad. How many miles do you drive on average each way?

...and how does one get an Australian spec Civic in the US? I've read that the GenX Civic in Australia had power folding mirrors (via button) and a cupholder setup that US Civic owners coveted. Did you already own the car in Australia, and move to the US with it? Do you keep the Civic, or did you have any trouble selling it in the US?
I have a ~60 mile commute everyday. I just recently moved to the Bay Area from Sydney :) Ended up selling my 2017 Lunar Silver Metallic Civic.

Yes, we did get power folding side mirrors, also automatic windows/moon roof close when holding the lock button on the remote which I wish the Insight had.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Yes, we did get power folding side mirrors, also automatic windows/moon roof close when holding the lock button on the remote which I wish the Insight had.
Did you sell the Civic in Australia, or did it make its way to the US?

The US GenX Civic doesn't have power folding side mirrors, but the Japanese Insight does. We've bounced some ideas of reapplying the power folding side mirrors from the Japanese Insight... but now I'm wondering if Australian Civic parts could also be a solution. Also noticed that both the Japanese and Australian versions have "right side" drivers position/controls...

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/3336-power-folding-side-mirrors.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you sell the Civic in Australia, or did it make its way to the US?

The US GenX Civic doesn't have power folding side mirrors, but the Japanese Insight does. We've bounced some ideas of reapplying the power folding side mirrors from the Japanese Insight... but now I'm wondering if Australian Civic parts could also be a solution. Also noticed that both the Japanese and Australian versions have "right side" drivers position/controls...

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/3336-power-folding-side-mirrors.html
I did sell the Civic in Australia before I left (made me a bit sad as I added a whole bunch of accessories to it).

I've done a retrofit of power folding mirrors a long time ago on my E46 M3, add me to the list of willing volunteers to test.

Does anyone in the forum have access to the service manual? (online only?) or have taken the door panels off? this will let us know if it's just a matter of replacing the side mirrors or if we also need to run wires etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Does anyone in the forum have access to the service manual? (online only?) or have taken the door panels off? this will let us know if it's just a matter of replacing the side mirrors or if we also need to run wires etc.
The service/maintenance manuals are online only, and the following are the closest we've gotten so far:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/153-2019-powertrain-technical-discussion/662-2019-honda-insight-service-mechanics-manual.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/153-2019-powertrain-technical-discussion/658-2019-honda-insight_maintenance-pdfs-here.html#post5242

Need someone with a subscription, or who'll get a temporary membership and download the info for us!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,059 Posts
I want to put on power folding mirrors but don't want to lose my lane watch. Also they'll probably need to be painted if they aren't available in crimson pearl.
But would you trade lane watch for blind spot monitoring? If that's the plus side, count me in!

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
The top 3 trims of the Australian Civic (VTi-L, RS, VTi-LX) have body colored, power retractable mirrors, and kept LaneWatch in place. This would be the closest part match to the Insight (though controls are on US 'passenger' side rather than 'driver' side). - https://www.honda.com.au/content/dam/honda/en/auto/models/civic-sedan/2019/specifications/civic-sedan-specs-sheet-2019.pdf

The Japanese Insight has power folding mirror and blind spot monitoring from sensors built into the side rear quarter panels.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Before anyone starts modifying your Insight. Check your auto insurance coverage before doing it. If your car gets into an accident or stolen you won't be reimburse for those additional parts you paid for. https://www.carinsurance.com/aftermarket-parts.aspx
Policies differ from one insurance company to another. Having been an auto adjuster for years, my suggestion is to check with your insurance agent regarding coverage for any add-on or accessory parts, whether they are OEM or aftermarket. Also, it is best to keep receipts and/or boxes the item came in to support your purchase. Since there are so many different aftermarket suppliers for the same part, they may differ in design and price and the estimating databases used by the insurance companies don't have pricing for them, only OEM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts