Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer gave me the car with nitrogen filled tires in it. What I want to understand is does it really make any difference?? As it’s hard to find nitrogen to fill up in tires.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
What I was asking was does it make any difference having nitrogen vs air ??
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/nitrogen-vs-air
^The above article should help you understand nitrogen vs air. I use to run only nitrogen filled tires and have my local Costco tire center refill them on my monthly Costco runs. I now run my Insight tires with regular air because I didn't buy my tires from them and I don't want to bother the tire guys to refill my tires while they're busy working on cars for other customers.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Why would anyone run nitrogen in their tires? It seems more of a hassle than it's worth. How would the average home user do tire pressure adjustments at home with nitrogen? I check/adjust my pressures every other tank and rotate my tires every 5K miles. I have roughly 14K miles on my Insight and don't see a need to do anything differently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's no hassle and doesn't need checked all the time after the first fill. My oil change indy does it for free for me. If you still want to check, that's fine and can still add air if needed. Most often it's not needed though unless you have a leak. Nitrogen is more consistent and resistant to pressure fluctuations due to ambient temperature. I use nitrogen in all my car and motorcycle tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been running nitrogen for several years. Because it is less elastic than air, I can run my non-hybrid a couple of pounds higher than I otherwise would. I am impressed how little pressure is lost between checks, because nitrogen molecules are larger than those of air. I also suspect that tire pressure monitors will deteriorate less in nitrogen. So, I will go out of my way to have nitrogen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have been running nitrogen for several years. Because it is less elastic than air, I can run my non-hybrid a couple of pounds higher than I otherwise would. I am impressed how little pressure is lost between checks, because nitrogen molecules are larger than those of air. I also suspect that tire pressure monitors will deteriorate less in nitrogen. So, I will go out of my way to have nitrogen.
No tire pressure monitors on the Insight to deteriorate. This article summarized my thoughts on the subject pretty well.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/should-you-fill-your-cars-tires-with-nitrogen.html

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nitrogen does not have any benefits unless you are a race car or airplane where there maybe drastic temp changes; the amount of variance of an everyday driver is not enough.

Also nitrogen is a Hassel because not every shop or dealership uses it so if you wanted to have it filled or adjusted you need to find one.

You will get more real benefits from changing your air in tire seasonally, check out this link:
https://youtu.be/2t09qfrYwok

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dealer gave me the car with nitrogen filled tires in it. What I want to understand is does it really make any difference?? As it’s hard to find nitrogen to fill up in tires.
I never considered this but it makes sense and called around in my town at Discount Tire Centers which carries 100% nitrogen fills for $8 per tire. I'm going to replace O2 with N2 to test it out on my Insight.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I never considered this but it makes sense and called around in my town at Discount Tire Centers which carries 100% nitrogen fills for $8 per tire. I'm going to replace O2 with N2 to test it out on my Insight.
Costco does nitrogen empty/fill for $11.99 on all 4 tires. I also asked my local Costco tire tech yesterday about bringing my car in for rotation and balancing even though I didn't buy the tires from them. He told me he can rotate, balance, and nitrogen fill all 4 tires for $21.99. My local Honda dealership wanted $39.99 just for rotating and balancing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have put nitrogen in all my cars as well have found the in-between refills less frequent with nitrogen.

Plus i have a Costco membership (where it is cheapest to get Nitrogen)..

Also, as an added bonus, for those with the civic spare tire, Costco will fill that up to for the $11.99..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Guys, don't throw your money away on this scam

Check links in this thread in the posts by andrew28 and Mr. Natural

Plain air is already 78% Nitrogen

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Guys, don't throw your money away on this scam

Check links in this thread in the posts by andrew28 and Mr. Natural

Plain air is already 78% Nitrogen
I wouldn't pay for it but Costco does offer nitrogen for free if you ask to top up your tire. Which is what I used to do but I stopped doing it because it requires a tire tech to stop what they're doing to fill up your tires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts