Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the specifications section in the online Owner's Manual and came across the spec for the Compact Spare, which is for "Vehicles with optional spare tire" (p.653). In fact, there is a wheel-well and a bracket to take a screw-down clamp for such a tire under all that Styrofoam in the trunk. But there does not seem to be such an option on offer, at least not yet, despite Alex on Autos having announced it in his video review.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New 2019 Insight Touring has no spare. Anyone know of how to go about getting a spare, jack, tools, etc. that will work with this vehicle? American Honda says no spare available by P/N for this car. All I have is a pump, but there are times that we are in remote areas of the Southwest USA and miles from anywhere. A spare would be nice to have then.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Here’s what I did.
Go to this website and find all the part numbers for the unavailable temporary spare kit. 2019 Insight Tourin CVT | Temporary Wheel Kit

Then I searched eBay/Craigslist/etc, and found a late model Civic tire and jack.

Cross referenced that year and models Civic part numbers against the Insight using same hondapartsnetwork.com

All the part numbers matched except the styrofoam ‘tool box’, so I bought them.

Sourced ‘tool box’ by searching for part number 84541-TXM-A10. Came up with a number of online Honda parts sites. Looked for the best price/shipping and ordered one.

All set up for about $150 total.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Here’s what I did for a spare.

Go to this website and find all the part numbers for the unavailable temporary spare kit.
http://hondapartsnetwork.com/assemb...sly-Variable-Transmission-Temporary-Wheel-Kit

Then I searched eBay/Craigslist/etc, and found a late model Civic tire and jack.

Cross referenced that year and models Civic part numbers against the Insight using same hondapartsnetwork.com

Sourced ‘tool box’ by searching for part number 84541-TXM-A10. Came up with a number of online Honda parts sites. Looked for the best price/shipping and ordered one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here’s what I did.
Go to this website and find all the part numbers for the unavailable temporary spare kit. 2019 Insight Tourin CVT | Temporary Wheel Kit

Thanks Goldy. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a Touring. Based on the published specs for the individual parts the spare and jack added about 35 pounds to weight of the car, so it had to have some effect. But I didn’t have the car long enough before I put the tire in to know for sure. Plus, I’ve been on a diet and have already lost 20 pounds. 15 more pounds and I’ll have lost my ‘spare tire’.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LOL fantastic answer! I want to add the spare too, and you gave me an incentive to loose weight! Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Compact Spare Tire

As you know, the Insight doesn't come with a compact spare tire, but has space/mounting for it. If I wanted to buy one to have/carry, do you know the specs for it? Would it be the same as for a 2017 Civic Sedan? I've done some searches to find a place to purchase one, but didn't find anything.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spare tire for Touring edition

My crimson red Touring edition had only 500 miles on it this week when I got a flat at work. I park in an underground parking garage, and the tire was totally ruined. I could not find a tow truck that was able or willing to come inside the garage to tow the car. After leaving it overnight and trying again for a tow on a second day, I was able to get enough air in the tire using the compressor and sealant that comes with the car to get the car up the ramp, out of the garage and onto a flatbed. I would like to never go through that again! It was horrible.

When I went to Honda today, it was unclear what they have to sell me to solve this problem. Can someone help me please!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,302 Posts
My crimson red Touring edition had only 500 miles on it this week when I got a flat at work. I park in an underground parking garage, and the tire was totally ruined. I could not find a tow truck that was able or willing to come inside the garage to tow the car. After leaving it overnight and trying again for a tow on a second day, I was able to get enough air in the tire using the compressor and sealant that comes with the car to get the car up the ramp, out of the garage and onto a flatbed. I would like to never go through that again! It was horrible.

When I went to Honda today, it was unclear what they have to sell me to solve this problem. Can someone help me please!
Visit a wrecking yard and get a spare, jack, toolkit and foam holder from a '16-'18 Civic. It fits the Insight perfectly! Honda doesn't sell the setup yet, but a wrecking yard and set you up for under $150 (I paid $120) for a compact spare with the same part number as the new Insight. I learned this info from a kind gentleman on the Insight Central Forum. Best advice ever. If you ask Honda, I believe the only thing they will offer you (at this time) is a full-size alloy wheel - that's it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Visit a wrecking yard and get a spare, jack, toolkit and foam holder from a '16-'18 Civic. It fits the Insight perfectly! Honda doesn't sell the setup yet, but a wrecking yard and set you up for under $150 (I paid $120) for a compact spare with the same part number as the new Insight. I learned this info from a kind gentleman on the Insight Central Forum. Best advice ever. If you ask Honda, I believe the only thing they will offer you (at this time) is a full-size alloy wheel - that's it.
How long do you think it will be before Honda sells something appropriate? It is crazy that they don't have a spare to sell you. I don't really want to go running around to wrecking yards!

·
Registered
314 Posts
There's always mail order:
2019 Insight Tourin CVT | Temporary Wheel Kit

You can call the wrecking yards too. I asked for a spare wheel + tire, foam, toolkit, and spare tire adapter + bolt for a 2016 - 2018 Honda Civic, since it's the same. All the places I called had no trouble figuring out if they had it. Alternatively, I'd be shocked if a local Honda dealer couldn't sell you those pieces if you asked for them in that way.

Me, I went to eBay. There was a sweet deal that gave me everything for $110, shipping included. Or so I thought... when it arrived, I had the wheel + tire, lug wrench, jack, and jack bar, but no foam or spare tire adapter + bolt. When I complained to the seller, they refunded me in full! So once I pick up the foam and spare tire adapter + bolt, I'll have everything for just the cost of those pieces. Looking at like ~$40. YMMV, of course.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,302 Posts
How long do you think it will be before Honda sells something appropriate? It is crazy that they don't have a spare to sell you. I don't really want to go running around to wrecking yards!
Just call ONE wrecking yard and tell them what you need. They will either have it or be able to get it for you. That's what I did. Once they had it (took 3 days), they called me and I picked it up. Easy-peasy!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,302 Posts
Goldy - which trim do you have and do you notice any difference in MPG on trips with the spare tire versus the inflator kit?
I have had the compact spare tire setup for the last 4500 miles. I've noticed no discernible MPG impact from having it. The $120-ish I spent for it was well worth the peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts