Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a thread dedicated to affordable, easy to install, "upgrades" for the Insight. I know there are "performance" based threads that are addressing major upgrades (i.e. stabilizer bars, etc.), but thought I would see what people are adding/modifying on their cars that are more "accessible" to the average Insight owner (think floor mats).

Here is my first contribution to the thread, "Custom Fit Cup, Door, Center Console Liner Accessories". Turns out the Insight EX (and probably the LX and Touring), only comes with two liners. The one in the bottom of the center console (which has an "Easter Egg" on the bottom of it), and the one for the phone tray. Here are some photos I took of the two existing liners that come with the Insight, along with the new ones I got, $25 at Amazon, in black, white, red, or blue. These are much flimsier than the stock liners, don't fit snugly to their space (little smaller than the area they cover), so I would probably give them a 4 out of 5 rating.

So what have you installed/replaced in your Insight lately?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,062 Posts
I have the all-black Cup Holder Hero liners as well. My keys no longer rattle when I place them in the driver's door pull! I did keep the stock phone and console liners in place since they seemed more sturdy.

The best upgrades I've added are splash guards (really make a difference), Husky Liners (great floor coverage) and the Honda trunk tray ('cause muddy kids' soccer and lacrosse gear).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering a "bumper" protector for the front of my Insight. I found this product which helps prevent damage when cars back into you, or you bump into things in front of you. Anyone have experience with these? They come in different thicknesses, thinner being less unsightly, but less protective (attached is a photo of a Honda using one I found on Amazon). BumpShox - Front Bumper Protection License Plate Frames

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone bought a faraday bag for their key fob? Thinking it would be a good idea to have one to prevent break-in or theft from a criminal attempting to copy the signal from the key fob. I'm leaning towards this Mission Darkness offering:

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Darkness-Automobile-Enforcement-Anti-Hacking/dp/B01H1C21O2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546649458&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Mission+Darkness+Faraday+Bag+for+Keyfobs&psc=1

If you have had good experience with the above model or others, feel free to share your experiences.

Have also heard that the old steering wheel clubs are making a comeback as a result of this uptick in car thefts via key fob copying. Glad I didn't throw mine out from the 80's. :)

Also, the most stolen car and car most "wrecked" car in America is the Honda Civic. Hope the Insight doesn't make that list some day. Here is an entertaining video on that topic if you are interested:

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I've looked into faraday cage(s) for the fob, but found most reviews cite failure with time because the metal woven material flexes and wears. It's not the fanciest concept, but I've considered more solid and durable materials to shield the fob (e.g. Altoids can-type enclosure).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thought I would start a thread dedicated to affordable, easy to install, "upgrades" for the Insight. I know there are "performance" based threads that are addressing major upgrades (i.e. stabilizer bars, etc.), but thought I would see what people are adding/modifying on their cars that are more "accessible" to the average Insight owner (think floor mats).

Here is my first contribution to the thread, "Custom Fit Cup, Door, Center Console Liner Accessories". Turns out the Insight EX (and probably the LX and Touring), only comes with two liners. The one in the bottom of the center console (which has an "Easter Egg" on the bottom of it), and the one for the phone tray. Here are some photos I took of the two existing liners that come with the Insight, along with the new ones I got, $25 at Amazon, in black, white, red, or blue. These are much flimsier than the stock liners, don't fit snugly to their space (little smaller than the area they cover), so I would probably give them a 4 out of 5 rating.

So what have you installed/replaced in your Insight lately?
I bought these same liners.... I have a favorite coffee travel mug of mine that truly does keep my coffee hot on my 30+ mile commute to work and doesn't leak a drop. However, the cup rattles in the cupholder of the Insight and these liners fixed my problem for me. A little steep since all I really needed where the ones for the cupholders but I went ahead and installed the ones in the door pockets and rear cupholders in the armrest. Seem like good quality. I guess 25 bucks is a small price to pay for my sanity to keep rattles at bay! :smile:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought these same liners.... I have a favorite coffee travel mug of mine that truly does keep my coffee hot on my 30+ mile commute to work and doesn't leak a drop. However, the cup rattles in the cupholder of the Insight and these liners fixed my problem for me. A little steep since all I really needed where the ones for the cupholders but I went ahead and installed the ones in the door pockets and rear cupholders in the armrest. Seem like good quality. I guess 25 bucks is a small price to pay for my sanity to keep rattles at bay! :smile:
Thanks for the comment about the rear cupholders. I totally forgot about the rear door cupholders as well as the rear seat center arm cupholders (which is why there were two double stick tabs included). Looks like all of the liners are indeed for the Insight (exception being the coin tray liner which is only for the Touring model).

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm interested in the door panel protectors that @mgldan installed (https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/3126-post19.html). Any issues with the adhesive, installation, or dust/water buildup behind the protectors once they were installed?
No, they've been great. They're right where I left them, and they sit flush against the door. I took a quick glance when I got out of the car this morning and saw no visible gaps. Would've photographed it but it's raining.

I would say that 50-60% of the surface area between the panel protector and the door is covered with a thick adhesive strip. To install, I just held both hands against either side of the panel for about 2 minutes.

The instructions do advise you to install the panel protectors at an outside temp of at least 60 degrees. I'm sure this is for the adhesive to be able to stick properly. It may be too cold now to install them if you don't have a garage.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If others don't mind a DIY solution, cutting up an old T-shirt and wedging it into the cup holder will hold the coffee cup still and prevent it from rattling. Or even a paper towel.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
For those of us exploring lumbar support options, was hoping that @hobokencentral and @LennyR could provide perspective, building on their prior posts in the 'Clarity' thread: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/129-2019-honda-insight-versus-competition/46-test-drive-impressions-vs-honda-clarity.html

How did these test options turn out?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've looked into faraday cage(s) for the fob, but found most reviews cite failure with time because the metal woven material flexes and wears. It's not the fanciest concept, but I've considered more solid and durable materials to shield the fob (e.g. Altoids can-type enclosure).
Just tried using an Altoid can and a credit card RFID shielded wallet (clam-shell plastic type you see everywhere), and neither prevented me from unlocking my Insight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got the original trunk tray from College Hills Honda, and very happy about it so far: https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08U45-TXM-100.html

Plus, got windows tinted on the second day I purchased the car. Dealer also sold me the sealant protection on the paint and interior of the car, it made sense that I got ivory color seats, so in case any spills, I am fully covered that no stains will stay, same for the exterior.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the original trunk tray from College Hills Honda, and very happy about it so far: https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08U45-TXM-100.html

Plus, got windows tinted on the second day I purchased the car. Dealer also sold me the sealant protection on the paint and interior of the car, it made sense that I got ivory color seats, so in case any spills, I am fully covered that no stains will stay, same for the exterior.
Nice setup! Debating on the trunk liner as well. Already got interior Tuxmat setup, and their trunk mat is $150 vs Honda's for $100 (after shipping). Will wait until the Tuxmats show up tomorrow to decide which to get. Suspect Tux will be lighter weight than the rubber Honda trunk mat (less weight the better with the hybrid). Also need to think about fabric protection. Didn't get it at the dealer. Maybe I can find something like scotchguard I can put on myself (I used Klasse All in one and Klasse Sealer on the paint already).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice setup! Debating on the trunk liner as well. Already got interior Tuxmat setup, and their trunk mat is $150 vs Honda's for $100 (after shipping). Will wait until the Tuxmats show up tomorrow to decide which to get. Suspect Tux will be lighter weight than the rubber Honda trunk mat (less weight the better with the hybrid). Also need to think about fabric protection. Didn't get it at the dealer. Maybe I can find something like scotchguard I can put on myself (I used Klasse All in one and Klasse Sealer on the paint already).
Hmm I don't believe the weight difference will be huge between the Tuxmats and Honda trunk tray but Tuxmats looks cool (y)
Never heard of the scotchguard or Klasse ones, but I can give you a little more info. on the one I purchased:

It's called Finishing Touch (just watch this guy's 2 min show and you'll be impressed:
)

PAINT PROTECTION: protects against weather induced fading, oxidation, loss of gloss, permanent hard water, etching, industrial fallout, bird droppings, tree sap, and acid rain.

INTERIOR PROTECTION: against fading and permanent staining caused by food, drink, and oil based stains through normal use.

and this is the platinum package which comes with 5 years warranty and it cost me $595. I'm sure if you wax it once a year for 5 years, it will be shiny enough but with this you don't have to worry about wax (they actually don't recommend waxing it with this protection because it will remain shiny at all times after each wash). Not only for wax, but it also protects the interior as I mentioned before, so it made sense when I first bought it but some may find it pricy.

Hope this helps!..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm I don't believe the weight difference will be huge between the Tuxmats and Honda trunk tray but Tuxmats looks cool (y)
So I just got the Tuxmats for the Insight and out of curiosity I decided to weigh them. The front set (both driver's and front passenger) weigh 3.6 lbs combined. The rear set weighs 2.6 lbs. Both combined are 6.2 lbs. They feel light as a feather but also very sturdy. You can see in the attached photo that Tuxmat has added a notch in the back seat set to prevent the air vent for the Lithium-Ion Battery from being blocked (probably the only difference between the Insight and the Civic floor mats). Still on the fence on the rear cargo tray. Light Tuxmat vs the Honda tray. Will install my Tuxmats in the morning (still haven't received my factory floor mats from the dealer).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
If it helps, the OEM trunk tray (08U45-TBA-100) has been available on Amazon since Nov 2018 for <$50 with free shipping. Estimated weight is ~4 lbs. Just enter the part number to search. It pays to shop around!

I opted for a lighter-weight non-OEM foam trunk tray from eBay, but had been eyeing the OEM item on Amazon since October.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I just got the Tuxmats for the Insight and out of curiosity I decided to weigh them. The front set (both driver's and front passenger) weigh 3.6 lbs combined. The rear set weighs 2.6 lbs. Both combined are 6.2 lbs. They feel light as a feather but also very sturdy. You can see in the attached photo that Tuxmat has added a notch in the back seat set to prevent the air vent for the Lithium-Ion Battery from being blocked (probably the only difference between the Insight and the Civic floor mats). Still on the fence on the rear cargo tray. Light Tuxmat vs the Honda tray. Will install my Tuxmats in the morning (still haven't received my factory floor mats from the dealer).
those look sleek, use it in good health!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts