Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Link to commercial https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2923472477663507

As someone who owns both vehicles: 19 Insight EX purchased in April and 19 Model 3 Long Range RWD (M3 LR RWD) purchased in June.. both in white.... and watching that video.... hahahahahahaaaaa... that's soooooo NOT true. I can debunk everything in that video. The EV mode in the video cracks me up. Insight EV mode is only good up to 22 mph right and only if you have light accel? I've taken my Model 3 is EV mode all the time, up 5% grade at 114 mph at 4000 ft, not even a struggle.

Takeaways from that video.

1. Charging: Not boring. Supercharging is not done often as your car will leave your home or office fully charged, everyday. but..when supercharging, it can become a social club especially the farther away you are from the city. Just imagine gas station for Ferrari's only and most Ferrari owners are fanatics about their cars. Tesla superchargers and Tesla owners are sort of like that... perhaps not as fanatic. Plug in, chat with other Tesla owners and/or fire up Youtube on car's screen... it's fun either way. Even with a 240/250 mi range M3 SR+, very rare you will exceed 200 miles in a day ever so the need to Supercharge is minimal. also superchargers don't attract crazies like gas stations can.

I've only filled gas 2X since June. Once to fill the Accord, and once to fill the Insight but have visited 24 superchargers in 7 Western states Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada and SoCal. Not boring yet! I even go to superchargers even when I don't need to too, just to check out new ones since they can be in interesting locations.

2. Acceleration: Seeing that lady with the exhilaration when driving around..... far from it. I often forget that gas saving hybrids (not talking about NSX/BMW i8/etc ) aren't known for their acceleration. I end up on the pedal on the Insight and and my wife tells me the car is "working too hard" and making too much noise. I apologize and say, this is still less that normal M3 acceleration. On the Model 3, I floor that thing numerous times everyday and it's really really really fun and my face smiles a lot like that lady's in the commercial.

3. Ride Quality: The Insight soaks up all the cracks and bumps in SoCal there are plenty of them. The M3 is quite stiff and rough over bumps. However, carving mountain roads and twisties in the video is not a job for the Insight with it's high center of gravity, body roll and understeer. The task is better left to the M3.. and the M3 doesn't care if the air gets thin at high elevations when you are carving.

4. 551 mile range: Uhhh... you don't get that on the Insight if you're doing freeways and especially on road trips due to high speed of the interstates. If you're daily charging the M3 at home/work then range is a moot point. After taking several road trips between SoCal and central Utah in both Accord (420-450 mi range) and M3 LR RWD (325 range), I find myself stopping at the exact same stops for pretty much the same amount of time. The difference in the M3 is that while I'm stopping for the 15 min potty break every 90 mins or so, I'm also plugged in and getting 100-120 mi range charged at 134 kW so little to no time lost. If I hit up a diner at 45-60 mins, then I'm pretty much 90% charged at 293 miles. If you don't need potty or food breaks or stop infrequently, and/or can drive 300-500 miles non-stop, the Insight wins hand down.

if they compared the Insight to a Clarity EV... hahaha... the Insight would blow it away... except maybe for acceleration. Especially with the Clarity's anemic 37 kW fast charge rate and paltry 89 mi range .. yeah.. charging is really boring, slow, PITA. On a road trip, the Insight wins.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
I want to start this out with I've never driven a Tesla, so I don't have the unique situation that IronQQQ does. Subjectively, I'd choose a Model 3 every time if the price were the same and I had access to a garage (at home charging). The only thing that the Insight has over the Model 3 is range, and cheaper tires.

Just to clarify, the Insight EV mode can operate almost to 70mph, but yes the acceleration cancel part is annoying. A simple twitch and oops, too far. I've gone nearly 5 miles on EV only with the Insight at speeds up to 40mph. Yes it's not a normal route; I planned it out, and is not achievable in any normal conditions. (3 am, mostly downhill albeit slight, multiple roundabouts, minimized traffic lights, slower than a snail acceleration).

1. Charging: I honestly think the argument about range is so overplayed by marketing. I absolutely hate anytime I read about range anxiety, and Tesla has done a wonderful job overcoming this. As you mentioned, most Americans drive well under 200 miles a day, so this whole "range anxiety" doesn't apply to a Tesla, maybe a 1st generation Nissan Leaf, or Clarity plug in. My only personal concern would be how much range would I lose for those days/weeks where we don't even get to positive double digit temperatures.

2. Acceleration: I agree with you on performance (acceleration). The Insight, although capable of doing a 7.3 0-60 feels soo much slower than even my 2013 Dodge Dart, even though comparable 0-60 times. Partly because of the sound the car makes, but also because technically is has less hp/torque, and of course, no chirping 1-2 shift. But compared to the Tesla, they aren't even in the same league.

3. Ride Quality: I don't particularly feel like the Insight has anymore body roll than similar sized cars (similarly weighted), of course the Tesla will win here for body roll, it's CoG is so low, and has quite a bit of weight, to help plant the tires in corners. Although I don't think the insight is a slouch, it's by no means "quick" unless we are comparing it to the Toyota hybrids (in my opinion).

The Insights biggest drawback is being FWD, when talking about cornering. Great for snow, slush in terms of ease of drive, but terrible for pushing the limits in a corner. (more forgiving if you screw up, but not as fun as coming out of a corner, counter steering with the back tires lit up). The Insight feels solid, and absorbs simple bumps very well, it can be jarring if you have a road pockmarked with potholes, or raised expansion joints.

4. 551 Mile Range: Yes I've managed nearly 500 mile tanks interstate only, and have done VA beach to Albany in a single trip (511 miles), with only a 25 minute dinner stop, and three bathroom breaks (under 10 minutes each, one included fuel), but realistically we are talking about 1/2 hour to 45 minute difference vs needing to charge a Tesla total trip.

Tesla is the clear winner in almost every category, especially on the performance side.

The Insight wins in the categories of Cost, adjustment from traditional ICE and rarity.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Not to be a weenie but..... Duh! Comparing these two cars is not really fair IMHO. Forget that they are literally two completely different kind of vehicles, but one costs like 15 or more g's than the other. Interesting read though. I have heard that the model 3 is very fun car in the handling department.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not to be a weenie but..... Duh! Comparing these two cars is not really fair IMHO. Forget that they are literally two completely different kind of vehicles, but one costs like 15 or more g's than the other. Interesting read though. I have heard that the model 3 is very fun car in the handling department.
It's definitely on my wishlist to drive, with a lot of much more expensive company.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only thing that the Insight has over the Model 3 is range, and cheaper tires.
The tires are definitely cheaper. Michelin Energy Saver A/S should be about $600 at Costco and should last about 50k miles.

Since I floor the M3 so much the Continental ContiPro are getting really chewed up... I'm hoping to get at least 30k... Which < 12 months of driving at $800-1000 for a set, so definitely cheaper.

I think the Insight has a much smoother ride. I wish the M3's was a bit more compliant.

Just to clarify, the Insight EV mode can operate almost to 70mph, but yes the acceleration cancel part is annoying. A simple twitch and oops, too far. I've gone nearly 5 miles on EV only with the Insight at speeds up to 40mph.
The Insight has 1.1 kWhr battery so approximate EV only range should be about 3-5 miles given typical EV consumption at around 220 to 250 Whr/mi at normal range of speeds. Seeing that car operates with electric motor drive up to 70~75 mph or so, the inverter is not the limiting factor, but rather the battery is too small to provide enough power output to sustain higher speed on EV only mode.

1. Charging: I honestly think the argument about range is so overplayed by marketing. I absolutely hate anytime I read about range anxiety, and Tesla has done a wonderful job overcoming this. As you mentioned, most Americans drive well under 200 miles a day, so this whole "range anxiety" doesn't apply to a Tesla, maybe a 1st generation Nissan Leaf, or Clarity plug in. My only personal concern would be how much range would I lose for those days/weeks where we don't even get to positive double digit temperatures.
There are ppl at my work with Clarity and eGolf and 1st Gen leaf that have roundtrip commutes longer than the range of their cars. They get really pissy when they can't get a full charge at work. They better hope the charger never breaks.

3. Ride Quality: I don't particularly feel like the Insight has anymore body roll than similar sized cars (similarly weighted), of course the Tesla will win here for body roll, it's CoG is so low, and has quite a bit of weight, to help plant the tires in corners. Although I don't think the insight is a slouch, it's by no means "quick" unless we are comparing it to the Toyota hybrids (in my opinion).

The Insight feels solid, and absorbs simple bumps very well, it can be jarring if you have a road pockmarked with potholes, or raised expansion joints.
On the M3 I just avoid certain lanes and pavements now. The Insight is waaaay more compliant than the Model 3 with much more suspension travel and clearance. The wheels are also 16" with high profile which undoubtedly helps.

I've somehow managed to not bottom out the M3 even once while I have already scraped the Insight being less cautious as it has much more generous suspension travel and ground clearance.

The Insight wins in the categories of Cost, adjustment from traditional ICE and rarity.
I think the Insight vs Clarity EV, the Insight destroys the Clarity (except for cost... Clarity EV has dirt cheap leases in SoCal) but it would be silly to make a car commercial destroying your own brand.

In California Insight won't beat and or compete the Model 3 and the commercial was dumb with silly arguments. The Model 3 is literally the No 3 best selling car in California. It even outsold the Accord and nearly outsold the Camry. If it outsells the mighty Accord is there really any argument for the Insight against the M3 to increase it's sales? Silly commercial.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/05/22/tesla-model-3-3rd-best-selling-vehicle-in-california-in-1st-quarter/

·
Registered
836 Posts
IronQQQ, I'm full with you, the Model 3 is a better car. I agree wholeheartedly that this commercial is silly. They are comparing two completely different cars, two completely different powertrains etc... It would have made far more sense to compare it to a Prius, seeing as that's the direct competitor, or an Ioniq etc...

The only meaningful comparison to the Model 3, is "I want a Model 3, but can only afford a civic... Insert Insight material here"

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I think the Insight vs Clarity EV, the Insight destroys the Clarity (except for cost... Clarity EV has dirt cheap leases in SoCal) but it would be silly to make a car commercial destroying your own brand.

In California Insight won't beat and or compete the Model 3 and the commercial was dumb with silly arguments. The Model 3 is literally the No 3 best selling car in California. It even outsold the Accord and nearly outsold the Camry. If it outsells the mighty Accord is there really any argument for the Insight against the M3 to increase it's sales? Silly commercial.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/05/22/tesla-model-3-3rd-best-selling-vehicle-in-california-in-1st-quarter/
You're right about the Clarity being dirt cheap. I just found out I could buy a Clarity Touring Plug-in Hybrid cheaper than my Insight EX after incentives. :eek: The only problem is no garage and the Clarity is way too big for my needs.

P.S. I'm kind of curious what fuel economy numbers you're getting on the Insight since you like to lead foot the Model 3 . :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right about the Clarity being dirt cheap. I just found out I could buy a Clarity Touring Plug-in Hybrid cheaper than my Insight EX after incentives. :eek: The only problem is no garage and the Clarity is way too big for my needs.
Would low cost of Clarity also offset its (ahem) spacy look for you? The Clarity's styling and 'older' interface system would be deterrents for me regardless of price... unless Honda started giving Clarity's out for free.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Would low cost of Clarity also offset its (ahem) spacy look for you? The Clarity's styling and 'older' interface system would be deterrents for me regardless of price... unless Honda started giving Clarity's out for free.
I think I can live with the exterior styling(better than a Prius in my opinion) and the interior actually looks nice to me. I agree with you about the old infotainment system though but it does have Apple CarPlay & Android Auto capability. The Civic style steering wheel is probably the biggest deterrent for me. :p

The Clarity is due for a mid-gen refresh for 2020. Would be interesting to see what changes Honda will do if they're keeping it alive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
P.S. I'm kind of curious what fuel economy numbers you're getting on the Insight since you like to lead foot the Model 3 . [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I only drive the Insight about once a week now, mainly to keep the M3 mileage down (16 k in 5.5 months vs 7k for 8 months for insight) so my wife drives it mostly. It gets 57 MPG which is stellar. The cost is of charging the Model 3 is not that much cheaper to the cost of fueling the Insight so maybe I should make a separate post detailing the numbers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts