Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hey, just bought my EX last weekend love love love it. However I usually drive uber/lyft after work. Well last month lyft banned any new "subcompact" cars and that includes the Insight! I submitted a help ticket explaining that the 2019 insight was larger and got a canned response. Don't know what to do from here, maybe they will come around. Love the forum, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think that Lyft is wrong on their decision. The Insight interior is definitely in the EPA Midsize class. significantly larger than the Subcompact Class.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, Uber has been great. The car is super fun to drive and I get lots of compliments, but to stay back to back busy in my town you really have to drive for both.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I realize this is a tangent, but I took a Lyft the other day and the driver said his ratio of Uber pickups to Lyft pickups is like 6:1 in favor of Uber. Wondering if that's what you see. I was in Morris County, New Jersey.

I wonder how Lyft views Civics. The size is so similar.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Hey hey, just bought my EX last weekend love love love it. However I usually drive uber/lyft after work. Well last month lyft banned any new "subcompact" cars and that includes the Insight! I submitted a help ticket explaining that the 2019 insight was larger and got a canned response. Don't know what to do from here, maybe they will come around. Love the forum, thanks for reading.
Maybe in your follow-up note to Lyft, ask how often their car list gets updated. The 2019 Insight is classified as Compact (even though the interior volume actually makes it near mid size). Perhaps their list still reflects the size of the last 2014 Insight, which was classified as a sub-compact...

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
In this article..

"With 95 cubic feet for passengers and trunk space of 15 cubic feet, the Insight sneaks into the government’s midsize class, though it is marketed as a compact. Compacts range from a total of 100 to 109 cubic feet of interior volume; midsize is from 110 to 119."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/3/16/18424058/honda-insight-is-all-new-for-2019#2019-honda-insight
Yes, I find this moderately annoying. Honda still markets the Civic and Insight as 'compact' so they can market the Accord as 'midsize.' However based on true definitions of car size (based on total interior volume), the EPA classifies the Civic and Insight as 'midsize' and the Accord as 'large' or full size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drive for Uber and just about every other passenger makes a comment about how cool the car is. They love the big screen and how I have my navigation on it, this makes it easy for them to see the route I am taking them.

I emailed Lyft this morning and asked that they look into the matter as the Insight is closer to a Civic or Accord than a sub-compact. I pointed out the change from the Gen 2 Insight as well. Hopefully they take notice and update their list!

In OKC, I make about $150 a night driving from about 4 p.m. to 1 or 2 a.m. With the hybrid, just about all of that is profit. Sure, some will have to be spent on tires, brakes, oil changes, and other routine stuff. It costs about $.18 per mile in fuel, the base mileage for Uber is $.56 per mile plus other fees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Both Uber and Lyft use local jurisdiction criteria for platform requirements. I drive DC Metro and have full access to both apps with no issue. As of September last year I moved from a 2010 Insight with over 215,000 miles into the 2019 Insight and not only never received any warnings from Lyft or Uber in the OLD car but have had none in the new one. In my local Uber office I specifically asked about my old ride being so old, they said, point blank, if your passengers don't complain, neither will we. Keep pushing, because you have precisely the size and type of vehicle they need in the fleet!

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
I would definitely be wowed if one of my uber/lyft requests is covered by a G3 Insight. I can picture my jaw dropping if matched. The on-road sightings are already rare enough that getting that match for ride share would be like winning the lottery. Plus I could see how another driver manages their 'dials' while driving, AND finally see what it's like to ride around in the back seat of a G3 Insight. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I would definitely be wowed if one of my uber/lyft requests is covered by a G3 Insight. I can picture my jaw dropping if matched. The on-road sightings are already rare enough that getting that match for ride share would be like winning the lottery. Plus I could see how another driver manages their 'dials' while driving, AND finally see what it's like to ride around in the back seat of a G3 Insight. :)
I actually would like to feel what's it like to ride in the rear of the Insight. Probably not in my own Insight because I'm too cautious about letting another person drive it just like my previous cars. :smile_big:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just an FYI I decided to try to do Lyft. My car was accepted as of this morning. I don’t even have to go get it inspected apparently.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Just an FYI I decided to try to do Lyft. My car was accepted as of this morning. I don’t even have to go get it inspected apparently.
Nice, maybe the Gen3 Insight has been added to their list. Did you drive for Lyft previously, and could that have helped with either the acceptance or inspection bypass?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice, maybe the Gen3 Insight has been added to their list. Did you drive for Lyft previously, and could that have helped with either the acceptance or inspection bypass?
Nope I am a complete nube.. Now I have permission from the misses to get the floor mats, dash cam and safety equipment I've been wanting lol.. I am not going to lie.. I am looking forward to hearing some compliments on how smooth our cars are. I know it won't make me a lot of money but I am looking forward to being the best driver they ever had and hopefully making some domestic and foriengn people say holy crap - Honda's have really come up in the world.. I actually rode in the backseat today and it is actually not that bad, even the stereo sounded good for an EX,,

·
Registered
247 Posts
By the way - I didn't even have to do an inspection.. I'm sure it's because the car is so new.. I'm layin low right now until I get the rubber mats and all the extras a driver needs to take care of my passengers but I am looking forward to it.. So much better than Doordash as far as I know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts