Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Insight sales are down 13.8% versus same month year ago, despite overall American Honda sales growing 11% over same period.

Insights sold since launch (~18 months) now total 34,487 which (sadly) is about 1 month of sales of the CR-V in November 2019.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
Advertising the Insight would help. Honda must have some other plan up their sleeve. Like they now do a regular/hybrid Accord, it's possible they may go that way with the Civic (again). Sadly, if the numbers continue to decline, the stand-alone Insight's days may be numbered.

Based on the Gen1 and Gen2 Insights lifecycles, the Insight name may only be temporary for their new eco-friendly test-beds.

·
Super Moderator
2,629 Posts
I'm pretty sure part of this has to do with the low inventory compared to last year. Dealerships probably don't want to order the Insight due to low sales volume and low potential service department revenue like the Clarity. I had a service advisor asked where I've been this year when I got my oil change and I told him this vehicle takes a long time before oil life hits 15% left. He was like "oh....". :smile_big:

The Insight doesn't have any buyer incentives or finance offers. At least with more inventory you can negotiate a better offer and won't have a hard time finding the color/trim you want. Unless the Insight is the only car you want and you don't mind waiting I can see most buyers just buying another vehicle.

I think new Insights are still making their way to dealerships. One of the dealerships close to me sold out and just got 7 new 2020 Honda Insights.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to admit, a family member wanted to purchase an Insight but I suggested they wait a couple years (2021 model year) to see where the car lands in Honda's long-term lineup/plans. I think the Insight will be absorbed into the Gen11 Civic platform as a 'Civic Hybrid.' - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/17964-post13.html
Honda has a concept model called the "Civic Versatilist" - which was shown at last year's Tokyo Auto Show. The car looks to me like the (longer) front end of an Insight grafted into the hatchback body of a Civic.

My gut says things like this 'Sedan SUV' this is where things are headed as Honda stated plans to consolidate platforms/models in their "Honda Architecture" master plan. The CR-V is already based on the Civic platform, and this would bring the 3 models (Civic, CR-V, Insight) closer if a hybrid version of this is offered.

https://paultan.org/2019/01/14/tas-2019-honda-civic-versatilist-civic-suv-anyone/

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not sure just because of low sales that the Insight will be discontinued. The first Inisight sold very few. It was super ugly. The second one did better, but still sales were sluggish. In both cases Honda did not abandon the Insight. Hard to say though.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure just because of low sales that the Insight will be discontinued. The first Inisight sold very few. It was super ugly. The second one did better, but still sales were sluggish. In both cases Honda did not abandon the Insight. Hard to say though.
No, not due to low sales but to tie with strategy of fewer models and platforms which Honda announced earlier this year. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/17964-post13.html

As hasarad mentioned above, Honda seems to have some other plan up their sleeve for the Insight. "Don't advertise, and they won't come..." or something to that effect. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,629 Posts
Honda has a concept model called the "Civic Versatilist" - which was shown at last year's Tokyo Auto Show. The car looks to me like the (longer) front end of an Insight grafted into the hatchback body of a Civic.

My gut says things like this 'Sedan SUV' this is where things are headed as Honda stated plans to consolidate platforms/models in their "Honda Architecture" master plan. The CR-V is already based on the Civic platform, and this would bring the 3 models (Civic, CR-V, Insight) closer if a hybrid version of this is offered.

https://paultan.org/2019/01/14/tas-2019-honda-civic-versatilist-civic-suv-anyone/

It looks the same as the current Civic Hatchback to me but with silver underbody spoilers. What's with the weird shark fin stuck to the passenger side door?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m wondering if low sales are just a “low inventory” issue. Early last month many local dealers only had 1 or 2 on the lot. Now when I look at Edmunds and search for availability, I’m seeing many more and most cars were listed in mid November timeframe, indicating a lot of shipments to dealers in that time frame. Just a theory.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m wondering if low sales are just a “low inventory” issue. Early last month many local dealers only had 1 or 2 on the lot. Now when I look at Edmunds and search for availability, I’m seeing many more and most cars were listed in mid November timeframe, indicating a lot of shipments to dealers in that time frame. Just a theory.
I do believe it's inventory related... and ultimately, that's driven by Honda Corporate (i.e. what to build or not, what to 'push' sales people to sell or not, etc).

Honda delayed launch of the 2019 Clarity to sell through more 2018 models, and we now know that shortly after that, they announced that Clarity inventory would only be carried in California.
- https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/27500-post13.html
- https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/32-ev-lounge/3262-honda-clarity-california-inventory-focus-only.html

Net, I think it's a sign that Honda 'knows something we don't' and has 'other plans' for the Insight.

But on the flip side, the dealer I bought my car from has 22 Insights (!!) listed right now - 2 x 2019 and 2 x 2020. Sometimes they list inventory before it arrives (like the car I ended up buying), but it reflects how many they've ordered. The other area dealers only have <5 each listed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm wondering if the sales are only 2019 models or combined 2019 and 2020 models. Anybody have any info on this?

·
Super Moderator
2,629 Posts
I don't think it matters to Honda what year it is as long as it's a new car being sold. For example, if a new 2014 Insight was sold in November 2019 it would count as 1 Insight sold for that month.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm wondering if the sales are only 2019 models or combined 2019 and 2020 models. Anybody have any info on this?
It's combined data for any/all Insights that have been produced. As an example, the CR-Z hybrid was last produced in 2016, but Honda reported 'new' sale on it as recently as April 2019.

·
Super Moderator
2,629 Posts
I do believe it's inventory related... and ultimately, that's driven by Honda Corporate (i.e. what to build or not, what to 'push' sales people to sell or not, etc).

Honda delayed launch of the 2019 Clarity to sell through more 2018 models, and we now know that shortly after that, they announced that Clarity inventory would only be carried in California.
- https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/27500-post13.html
- https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/32-ev-lounge/3262-honda-clarity-california-inventory-focus-only.html

Net, I think it's a sign that Honda 'knows something we don't' and has 'other plans' for the Insight.

But on the flip side, the dealer I bought my car from has 22 Insights (!!) listed right now - 2 x 2019 and 2 x 2020. Sometimes they list inventory before it arrives (like the car I ended up buying), but it reflects how many they've ordered. The other area dealers only have <5 each listed.
Honda always know something...:wink: For the Clarity, I think they're thinking strategically for the long term. Use the Clarity to farm ZEV credits in CA while restricting the sale of the car from other states to preserve the federal tax incentive allotment until they can launch new cars built on the new BEV platform. They're trying to avoid what GM is doing which is blowing all of your federal tax credit allotment on vehicles that will not stick around like the Volt and Bolt. It's going to be interesting to see how GM is going to compete on price for BEVs vs the other automakers that still have the full federal tax credit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Insightfully--when are the December numbers coming out for Honda Sales? Tomorrow, maybe?
I appreciate your posting them all of the time!

·
Super Moderator
2,629 Posts
Hey Insightfully--when are the December numbers coming out for Honda Sales? Tomorrow, maybe?
For December 2018 sales, it was posted on January 3, 2019. 2,235 Insights sold last December so I'm hoping it did even better this December. :D

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For December 2018 sales, it was posted on January 3, 2019. 2,235 Insights sold last December so I'm hoping it did even better this December. :D
When the month starts with a holiday, Honda seems to take an extra business day after the holiday to report sales; the data will most likely be posted January 3 as andrew28 mentioned. (They reported December sales on January 3 the past 2 years given how the New Year holiday fell in 2018 & 2019, and on January 4 in 2017.)

Current year monthly sales have been lower than last year's monthly sales for the Insight. If I were to wager, my projection for December 2019 US sales is ~2035 units.

·
Super Moderator
2,629 Posts
Current year monthly sales have been lower than last year's monthly sales for the Insight. If I were to wager, my projection for December 2019 US sales is ~2035 units.
I'm betting 2,700 due to the traffic spike on this forum in December. The Insight sold 2,653 in May and we didn't get that sort of spike. :cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Andrew28
That's interesting about the Volt. I know a couple of people that own them and they love them. I've seen a few Bolts around, and they look like fodder for the big pickups and SUVs that everybody loves
in Colorado. . .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts