Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts
I wonder if inventory available has something to do with it. Doing a stock check from the dealerships near me most of them only have 1 EX trim available.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Surprising to see Accord sales significantly lower then the Civic, especially since the Accord is a newer design. Perhaps this is proof that the Accord class has simply gotten too big for most people’s needs? Also sad to see that the Fit outsells the Insight.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
Surprising to see Accord sales significantly lower then the Civic, especially since the Accord is a newer design. Perhaps this is proof that the Accord class has simply gotten too big for most people’s needs? Also sad to see that the Fit outsells the Insight.
The Fit is the cheapest car Honda offers. I remember buying my 09 Civic for what the Fit costs now. The Civic has been outselling the Accord and a few times even the CRV earlier this year. My guess is that the Civic comes in sedan/hatchback/performance options along with converting Ford/GM car buyers. Accord sales aren't doing as well because Honda has been stingy with the incentives while Toyota has been aggressive with incentives for the Camry ($2000 cash incentive and 1.9%APR financing right now).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Limited inventory

I wonder if inventory available has something to do with it. Doing a stock check from the dealerships near me most of them only have 1 EX trim available.
Same issue around me in VA. Dealerships that had ~10 or more when I bought in Jun now have only 1 or 2, mostly 2019 models. Is this an inventory or production issue or conscious effort by dealerships to avoid the slower selling Insight?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
Same issue around me in VA. Dealerships that had ~10 or more when I bought in Jun now have only 1 or 2, mostly 2019 models. Is this an inventory or production issue or conscious effort by dealerships to avoid the slower selling Insight?
Perhaps, if they actually marketed the Insight, they'd sell more? I went in for a Civic and left with an Insight. All it took was one drive in each to determine which was the better car.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yesterday I was at the dealership that we bought our Insight from, they had 8 on the lot when we bought ours, 1 yesterday.

They actually had marketing material in the showroom, and I spent ~20 minutes with my favorite sales person talking about the Insight, I actually think he likes picking my brain because I don't bs anything, he was shocked when I showed him my current tank at 58mpg. He leases a Clarity, and is upset that Honda pulled the Clarity from most markets, I may have talked him into the Insight for his next purchase, although he really loves the plug-in aspect, that provides him gas-free work commutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yesterday I was at the dealership that we bought our Insight from, they had 8 on the lot when we bought ours, 1 yesterday.

They actually had marketing material in the showroom, and I spent ~20 minutes with my favorite sales person talking about the Insight, I actually think he likes picking my brain because I don't bs anything, he was shocked when I showed him my current tank at 58mpg. He leases a Clarity, and is upset that Honda pulled the Clarity from most markets, I may have talked him into the Insight for his next purchase, although he really loves the plug-in aspect, that provides him gas-free work commutes.
Any “insight” from him on the reasons for the low inventory? Is Honda by chance pulling the Insight from most markets as well? The low inventory is a bit disconcerting for us owners hoping for longevity in this model.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Any “insight” from him on the reasons for the low inventory? Is Honda by chance pulling the Insight from most markets as well? The low inventory is a bit disconcerting for us owners hoping for longevity in this model.
I should have asked, but I didn't find it weird; up here, this time of year people want SUV's and trucks with snow coming soon. I didn't think it was that odd until others mentioning this on here.

A quick internet search of the other two large Honda dealerships shows that both have several. One dealership only has 2019's. The other has primarily 2020's. I'd say there is about half as many as available vs April when we bought ours, but April is the start of "car" season up here.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
Any possibility theya re shifting production capacity and/or parts to new hybrid CR-V?
They could be hogging the lithium ion batteries for the CRV. Accord Hybrid inventory is low to none at the dealerships near me, too.

Edit: Nevermind about the Accord Hybrid. They sort of hidden them within the regular Accord category. A few of them have 10-15 on hand.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Honda is taking a similar strategy as they did with the Clarity in 18/19 model year transition. They delayed supplying 2019 Clarity's to dealers until 2018 inventory sold through, sometimes up to 6 months later than the 'normal' or expected timing for Clarity model year transition.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Civic is Honda's #1 selling model. It has outsold the Accord since the 2016/GenX introduction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think Honda is taking a similar strategy as they did with the Clarity in 18/19 model year transition. They delayed supplying 2019 Clarity's to dealers until 2018 inventory sold through, sometimes up to 6 months later than the 'normal' or expected timing for Clarity model year transition.
I sent an email to my dealer earlier today to see if he had an explanation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, nothing new to report form my dealer other than his assumption that it's more of a "limited production volume" model. Doesn't really explain the difference between the lower inventory now as opposed to mid-summer, other than perhaps a seasonal adjustment. They currently have three 2020s, which is actually about the same as when I bought (other dealers had more).

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, nothing new to report form my dealer other than his assumption that it's more of a "limited production volume" model. Doesn't really explain the difference between the lower inventory now as opposed to mid-summer, other than perhaps a seasonal adjustment. They currently have three 2020s, which is actually about the same as when I bought (other dealers had more).
Mid summer is when the 2020 'technically' launched. But it didn't appear in all dealers at that time. I've seen some area dealers 'stock up' on prior year models, before acquiring new inventory. But the consequence is that they have to sell thru that before it becomes financially feasible for the dealer to bring in more/newer cars. Maybe this is similar to your area dealers?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts