Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard an odd noise yesterday for the first mile or two driving and I think it was coming from the speakers. After backing out of the driveway, I started down the street and there was a noise that sounded like the car was dragging something over the pavement or the tire rubbing against a mud flap or something. I rolled down the window and it disappeared, but I got out to check anyway, and there was nothing. Then I drove around a parking lot for a bit and it was there again, but only when moving, not when stationary. It also sounded like it could be gurgling of an A/C evaporator, but it was coming from the driver left vent area and I had the A/C off. I thought the sound could possibly be coming from the small tweeter. Anyway, after a few minutes, the noise went away and I've not heard it again for a day. I wonder if it could have been the active noise cancelling going haywire, but I've not seen anything about that here. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
There's a service bulletin (not a recall) from 2019 to address "booming and rumbling" heard from the speakers due to the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system on 2018-2020 Accords and 2019-2020 Insights. - MC 12/20/19 - Active Noise Cancellation Rumbling

The repair process is to remove covers in the headliner and check for damaged or folded insulating foam. There's a "microphone check" that can be done using a push pin, but this check can only be done on the Insight's rear ANC microphone... and it sounds like your issue is in the front end.

I think you'll need to bring the car to dealer to have the front ANC checked. However, I think the ANC speaker is more centrally located (vs driver's side front tweeter). Maybe try to recreate the sound with a passenger in car who can help pinpoint the noise location/source. Recording video of the issue is also a good idea, to reduce the time for Honda techs to troubleshoot.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I thought the sound could possibly be coming from the small tweeter. Anyway, after a few minutes, the noise went away and I've not heard it again for a day. I wonder if it could have been the active noise cancelling going haywire, but I've not seen anything about that here. Any ideas?
If you're a little adventurous and/or want to test whether Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is the cause, @INSIGHT_OUTTASIGHT shared text description and @romeoog shared a video on how/where to disable the ANC. If the sound goes away after disconnecting the ANC, it could help pinpoint that and it's a short-term, reversible check. Caveat tho that @TCavaliers experienced CarPlay issue after leaving ANC disconnected long term.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts