Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Last time my maintenance minder went off was around 10k miles around 15%. I went ahead and did that service.

I'm now at 25k miles and my maintenance minder indicates 50% for the A1,2 service.

Took my car into the honda dealership today to check on an annoying rattle and the service guy was freaking out that my car was WAAAYY over due on service. They quoted me on a lot of stuff including transmission flush for grand total of $499 to get the service done. I told them that my maintenance minder still said I was at 50% and he told me not to go off that. I went ahead and agreed on the service. Did I get bent over?

So confused that some will say to go off the maintenance minder and some will say to go off the mileage. Which is it? lol

So confused that some will say to go off the maintenance minder and some will say to go off the mileage. Which is it? lol
15k for second service interval does seem long compared to the 10-12k/yr average range that the Maintenance Minder triggers for the Insight... especially if your first service interval was 10k and/or you've been driving the same way (or driving less, given the pandemic). If I were in your position, I think I'd proceed with oil change in this case despite the Maintenance Minder. Also an 'easy' way to decide is if it's been a year since your last oil change.

If the MM accidentally/inadvertently got reset, maybe your dealer can use their Diagnostics Computer to "Force Activation" and show what is really needed.

Regarding transmission fluid, it was ~95k when high-mileage/highway driver @onthefly1050 received notice that transmission fluid change was needed. And the Owners Manual (OM19 pg 559) lists 47.5k/3yrs as the trigger if you drive in "severe" mountainous conditions at low speeds. Both of these thresholds are much higher than where you are now, so it seems premature... even if you were driving in severe conditions The Insight has an "eCVT" rather than the CVT in conventional cars; it works differently and Insight car only carries 2.3 qt total (versus 3.7 qt in the automatic and 2.0 qt in the manual GenX Civics).

I went ahead and agreed on the service. Did I get bent over?
Yes, because you shouldn't need to flush the transmission or any other fluid for that matter. You should replace the fluid but 25k is way too early even under severe driving conditions. Trust the maintenance minder Honda built in your car. The service advisor never has your interest in mind because his/her job is like a salesperson but for the service department.

According to your maintenance minder codes 1 & 2 at 50%. By the time, you reached 15% it should've been just an oil, cabin, and engine air filter change plus tire rotation. Do change the oil early if it has been more than 1 year since your last oil change even if the maintenance minder isn't at 15%.

When in doubt ask here or someone you trust for a second opinion before agreeing to something you're not sure about.

I guess I haven't been driving much lately!

I've been getting 10K miles between changes. The maintenance light came on yesterday with only 4500 miles on the car since the last change in early March. It had been ten months. I had been doing 20K+ a year pre-covid. 4.5K in ten months is nothing!

This goes to show there is a definite calculation using mileage and time for the maintenance minder notifications. Just finished the DIY change in about 20 minutes.

Reactions: andrew28
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.