Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are US Honda dealers mostly using only full-synthetic oil for oil changes ?

What is the usual cost of a dealer oil change on the 2019-20 Insight (including oil and including oil + filter) ?

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts

What is the usual cost of a dealer oil change on the 2019-20 Insight (including oil and including oil + filter) ?
It depends on if they're using Honda bulk oil. You have to ask them who supplies their bulk 0w-20 oil. If they say Honda then you're getting full synthetic because Honda discontinued the 0w-20 semi-synthetic blend. Some dealerships use whatever is the cheapest bulk oil they can get which can range from valvoline to penzoil from what I've read. Honda and other automakers don't force dealerships to use oem supplied oil.

Honda dealerships charge around $40-$60 for oil changes in my area. The one I go to does it for $45 which is pretty good for Honda full synthetic oil.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts

There are some posts from franko1927 (post #14) and others earlier in thread on types of oil selections available at dealers. franko1927's post mentions 3 types/sources for 0W-20 oil offered at dealer.

For 0W-20 full synthetic oil change, recently quoted price was $45 at my dealership. My first oil change was free, so will see in future what the price runs ongoing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Completed oil / filter change last week. $54 out the door. ICE is quieter at higher rpms .....in the yellow power range.

I'd driven through lots of dust so requested the air filter be cleaned and or replaced as needed. Replacement was recommended, but not is stock. Replaced the air filter on Tuesday. The old one wasn't very dirty. I cleaned and vacuumed it and put it in trunk next to tire kit.

Was wondering why replacement was recommended? Just a make money reason? Perhaps the air system is under pressure, making the system sensitive to any slight restriction of air flow? Yesterday, Wednesday was sunny with temperature up to 62 for the high. Got a summer time mpg number for the day due to rapid cycling of the HV charging / discharging process. New air filter only change vs prior days which were on the clean oil. but little temperature difference. FYI

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I'd driven through lots of dust so requested the air filter be cleaned and or replaced as needed. Replacement was recommended, but not is stock. Replaced the air filter on Tuesday. The old one wasn't very dirty. I cleaned and vacuumed it and put it in trunk next to tire kit.

Was wondering why replacement was recommended? Just a make money reason? Perhaps the air system is under pressure, making the system sensitive to any slight restriction of air flow? Yesterday, Wednesday was sunny with temperature up to 62 for the high. Got a summer time mpg number for the day due to rapid cycling of the HV charging / discharging process. New air filter only change vs prior days which were on the clean oil. but little temperature difference. FYI
What mileage is your car up to? Perhaps the recommendation was mileage based (if not indicated on the maintenance minder - sub code 2). The manual's recommendation for "dusty conditions" is to change the engine filter and cabin filter every 15k miles (p559).

·
Registered
266 Posts
What mileage is your car up to? Perhaps the recommendation was mileage based (if not indicated on the maintenance minder - sub code 2). The manual's recommendation for "dusty conditions" is to change the engine filter and cabin filter every 15k miles (p559).
Thanks for question.
Mileage is up to just over 10k. The service advisor said 30k was usual replacement. Given the manuals' recommendation (thank you) the tech's. recommendation is not out of line, .....given this customer's request, in my thinking today.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The service department (at the Honda dealership where I bought my 2019 Insight) says that the only first oil change they provide for 2019 Insights includes a new oil filter and all-synthetic oil, for a price of $76.

I believe the Honda Insight warranty is satisfied by using non-synthetic oil, and no oil filter change at the first oil change. Am I wrong ?

What non-dealer oil change outfit would you recommend for reliable minor maintenance service ?

·
Registered
836 Posts
And what have you been paying for the first oil change (dealer and non-dealer) ?
Ours was free with the purchase of the vehicle. Haven't inquired as to the cost out of pocket, I will most likely do all of the subsequent oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
The service department (at the Honda dealership where I bought my 2019 Insight) says that the only first oil change they provide for 2019 Insights includes a new oil filter and all-synthetic oil, for a price of $76.

I believe the Honda Insight warranty is satisfied by using non-synthetic oil, and no oil filter change at the first oil change. Am I wrong ?

What non-dealer oil change outfit would you recommend for reliable minor maintenance service ?
Check out the Honda dealership websites near you and look for service specials. Ask them for an oil change quote if it's not listed. It may even be worth it to drive a little further for a dealership with a better price. My closest dealership offers oil changes for $45 and since they use Honda branded 0w-20 it's full synthetic, too.

The full synthetic oil flows better in extreme cold and helps with starting the car.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts

I think the 'service requirement' for warranty depends on how many miles you have on the car at first oil change, and/or the type of alert provided by the Maintenance Minder.

Following the codes Honda provides in the Maintenance Minder, "A" would only 'require' oil change while "B" would 'require' oil and filter change. If for an "A" alert you choose to change the oil filter in addition to the recommended oil change, that would meet the "A" 'requirement' specifying oil change only.

My dealer included a lifetime warranty with purchase, and the direction to maintain the warranty was "follow all the alerts provided by the Maintenance Minder."

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
And what have you been paying for the first oil change (dealer and non-dealer) ?
There are some posts earlier in this thread with dealer pricing info (including response to your question on pricing for oil change in Post #96):
Post #82 - $90 full synthetic (non-Honda / Mobil)
Post #86 - $45 full synthetic (Honda bulk oil - blend?)
Post #92 - $45 full synthetic (Honda bulk oil)
Post #97 - $40 to $60 dealer oil change
Post #98 - $45 full synthetic dealer oil change
Post #99 - $54 oil/filter change

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Please Owners, give me some additional data (with tip of my hat to Insightfully for his input)

Does your dealer insist on using only full-synthetic oil in 2019-20 Insights ?

What have you been paying for oil + oil filter change (at dealer or at non-dealer) ?

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts

What have you been paying for oil + oil filter change (at dealer or at non-dealer) ?
My dealer doesn't insist on using full-synthetic oil, but it's the least-expensive oil change price option ($45) because it's what they use for most for their oil changes and because it's bought in bulk volume from Honda.

The Owners Manual also says "synthetic oil may be used" suggesting that it's an option but not requirement.

Conventional oil changes on older Hondas at non-dealer service center have been $35 before tax.

In addition to getting info from other forum members, can you share the pricing that you've found/seen for your dealer and/or non-dealer locations?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Please Owners, give me some additional data (with tip of my hat to Insightfully for his input)

Many thanks
Our dealer recommends it due to stop-start and the crazy temperature swings we face. (Synthetic oil viscosity tends to be more consistent regardless of temperature *ie nitrogen filled tires*)

DIY is probably ~$40-45
Our dealership charges 79.95 for synthetic oil change (they actually don't carry conventional bulk oil.)
29.95 for tire rotation.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I took my car to Walmart for 1st oil change around 10k miles. Roughly $53 for a Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0w-20 oil change. I bought the oil from them and the oil filter from my local Honda dealership. I was really eager to see how much my mpg would improve (if any).. I was at 48.7 pre oil change now I’m right around 50.0 and have seen as high as 50.3.

The labor for oil change was ~$18.

I still have 1 free oil change from dealer which I will be using on my next oil change.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This Motor Trend article (dated 1-30-2019) :

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/insight/2019/2019-honda-insight-ex-long-term-update-5-review/

says that their 2019 Insight gave them a dash warning at about 11,000 miles that they were past due for their first oil change.

Their dealer changed the oil (oil type not specified and apparently the oil filter was not changed) and checked the tires for a total price of $96.05

It seems negligent to me that they made no comments regarding the very long time before the first oil change nor the very high price for the service.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
This Motor Trend article (dated 1-30-2019) :

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/insight/2019/2019-honda-insight-ex-long-term-update-5-review/

says that their 2019 Insight gave them a dash warning at about 11,000 miles that they were past due for their first oil change.

Their dealer changed the oil (oil type not specified and apparently the oil filter was not changed) and checked the tires for a total price of $96.05

It seems negligent to me that they made no comments regarding the very long time before the first oil change nor the very high price for the service.
I google searched the dealership they went to and it seems reasonable(not cheap or too expensive) for what they got done.

$89.95+tax

Includes: OW-20 Oil
  • Change Oil
  • Replace oil filter with Genuine Honda Oil Filter
  • Lubrication
  • Inspect Air Filter
  • Inspect and adjust idle
  • Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
  • Inspect and adjust drive belts
  • Inspect coolant hoses
  • Inspect front brakes
  • Inspect and adjust rear brakes
  • Rotate tires
  • Inspect lights
  • Inspect wipers
  • Honda multi-point inspection
  • Road test

Reactions: Moviemike

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I'd say Motor Trend was negligent in not including that in their review. And I still wonder why no surprise at not getting first oil change warning until 11,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
So I'd say Motor Trend was negligent in not including that in their review. And I still wonder why no surprise at not getting first oil change warning until 11,000 miles.
My guess is that this isn't their first long term hybrid test car, so they weren't surprised (e.g. Toyota Prius, which averages 10+k mile interval per oil change).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts