Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Oil Change Pricing

14K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Moviemike 
#1 ·
Are US Honda dealers mostly using only full-synthetic oil for oil changes ?

What is the usual cost of a dealer oil change on the 2019-20 Insight (including oil and including oil + filter) ?

#2 ·
It depends on if they're using Honda bulk oil. You have to ask them who supplies their bulk 0w-20 oil. If they say Honda then you're getting full synthetic because Honda discontinued the 0w-20 semi-synthetic blend. Some dealerships use whatever is the cheapest bulk oil they can get which can range from valvoline to penzoil from what I've read. Honda and other automakers don't force dealerships to use oem supplied oil.

Honda dealerships charge around $40-$60 for oil changes in my area. The one I go to does it for $45 which is pretty good for Honda full synthetic oil.

#3 · (Edited)
There are some posts from franko1927 (post #14) and others earlier in thread on types of oil selections available at dealers. franko1927's post mentions 3 types/sources for 0W-20 oil offered at dealer.

For 0W-20 full synthetic oil change, recently quoted price was $45 at my dealership. My first oil change was free, so will see in future what the price runs ongoing.

#4 ·
Completed oil / filter change last week. $54 out the door. ICE is quieter at higher rpms .....in the yellow power range.

I'd driven through lots of dust so requested the air filter be cleaned and or replaced as needed. Replacement was recommended, but not is stock. Replaced the air filter on Tuesday. The old one wasn't very dirty. I cleaned and vacuumed it and put it in trunk next to tire kit.

Was wondering why replacement was recommended? Just a make money reason? Perhaps the air system is under pressure, making the system sensitive to any slight restriction of air flow? Yesterday, Wednesday was sunny with temperature up to 62 for the high. Got a summer time mpg number for the day due to rapid cycling of the HV charging / discharging process. New air filter only change vs prior days which were on the clean oil. but little temperature difference. FYI

#5 ·
I'd driven through lots of dust so requested the air filter be cleaned and or replaced as needed. Replacement was recommended, but not is stock. Replaced the air filter on Tuesday. The old one wasn't very dirty. I cleaned and vacuumed it and put it in trunk next to tire kit.

Was wondering why replacement was recommended? Just a make money reason? Perhaps the air system is under pressure, making the system sensitive to any slight restriction of air flow? Yesterday, Wednesday was sunny with temperature up to 62 for the high. Got a summer time mpg number for the day due to rapid cycling of the HV charging / discharging process. New air filter only change vs prior days which were on the clean oil. but little temperature difference. FYI
What mileage is your car up to? Perhaps the recommendation was mileage based (if not indicated on the maintenance minder - sub code 2). The manual's recommendation for "dusty conditions" is to change the engine filter and cabin filter every 15k miles (p559).

#7 ·
The service department (at the Honda dealership where I bought my 2019 Insight) says that the only first oil change they provide for 2019 Insights includes a new oil filter and all-synthetic oil, for a price of $76.

I believe the Honda Insight warranty is satisfied by using non-synthetic oil, and no oil filter change at the first oil change. Am I wrong ?

What non-dealer oil change outfit would you recommend for reliable minor maintenance service ?

#10 ·
Check out the Honda dealership websites near you and look for service specials. Ask them for an oil change quote if it's not listed. It may even be worth it to drive a little further for a dealership with a better price. My closest dealership offers oil changes for $45 and since they use Honda branded 0w-20 it's full synthetic, too.

The full synthetic oil flows better in extreme cold and helps with starting the car.

#9 ·
Ours was free with the purchase of the vehicle. Haven't inquired as to the cost out of pocket, I will most likely do all of the subsequent oil changes.

#14 · (Edited)
Does your dealer insist on using only full-synthetic oil in 2019-20 Insights ?

What have you been paying for oil + oil filter change (at dealer or at non-dealer) ?
My dealer doesn't insist on using full-synthetic oil, but it's the least-expensive oil change price option ($45) because it's what they use for most for their oil changes and because it's bought in bulk volume from Honda.

The Owners Manual also says "synthetic oil may be used" suggesting that it's an option but not requirement.

Conventional oil changes on older Hondas at non-dealer service center have been $35 before tax.

In addition to getting info from other forum members, can you share the pricing that you've found/seen for your dealer and/or non-dealer locations?

#16 ·
I took my car to Walmart for 1st oil change around 10k miles. Roughly $53 for a Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0w-20 oil change. I bought the oil from them and the oil filter from my local Honda dealership. I was really eager to see how much my mpg would improve (if any).. I was at 48.7 pre oil change now I’m right around 50.0 and have seen as high as 50.3.

The labor for oil change was ~$18.

I still have 1 free oil change from dealer which I will be using on my next oil change.

#17 ·
This Motor Trend article (dated 1-30-2019) :

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/insight/2019/2019-honda-insight-ex-long-term-update-5-review/

says that their 2019 Insight gave them a dash warning at about 11,000 miles that they were past due for their first oil change.

Their dealer changed the oil (oil type not specified and apparently the oil filter was not changed) and checked the tires for a total price of $96.05

It seems negligent to me that they made no comments regarding the very long time before the first oil change nor the very high price for the service.

#18 ·
This Motor Trend article (dated 1-30-2019) :

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/insight/2019/2019-honda-insight-ex-long-term-update-5-review/

says that their 2019 Insight gave them a dash warning at about 11,000 miles that they were past due for their first oil change.

Their dealer changed the oil (oil type not specified and apparently the oil filter was not changed) and checked the tires for a total price of $96.05

It seems negligent to me that they made no comments regarding the very long time before the first oil change nor the very high price for the service.
I google searched the dealership they went to and it seems reasonable(not cheap or too expensive) for what they got done.

$89.95+tax

Includes: OW-20 Oil
  • Change Oil
  • Replace oil filter with Genuine Honda Oil Filter
  • Lubrication
  • Inspect Air Filter
  • Inspect and adjust idle
  • Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
  • Inspect and adjust drive belts
  • Inspect coolant hoses
  • Inspect front brakes
  • Inspect and adjust rear brakes
  • Rotate tires
  • Inspect lights
  • Inspect wipers
  • Honda multi-point inspection
  • Road test

#21 ·
I tried Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 for my first oil change then got my first free complimentary oil change at dealer for my 2nd oil change..

For my next , I’m going to give Costco a shot..
[...]
I figure about $13.50 for the oil, ~$18 for labor on oil change at Walmart, ~$8 for oil filter.. I’m out a little under $40 for a full synthetic oil change.. may go down if I find a place that takes less on labor and maybe buy a pack of oil filters online for cheap..possibly could be below $35 a full synthetic oil change..
Just curious, but do you know what the cost/value of the complimentary oil change was from the dealer? My dealer quoted $45 for a full synthetic oil change, which is close to your net price (but without running around town).

#23 ·
This Honda service center in NY lists the following prices for the different maintenance levels:
  • "A" Service = $ 48.95 (for 0W20 oil): basic oil/filter, tire pressure
  • "B" Service = $159.95+: "A" service plus tire rotate/balance, brake adjust
  • "C" Service = $299.95+: "B" service plus belt/hose adjust, cabin/engine filter, lube, wiper inserts, inspection
  • "D" Service = $454.95+: "C" service plus transmission & cooling fluid service

#24 ·
I recently purchased Kirkland Full synthetic oil at Costco on sale for $21.50 (normally $25) for the cases of 5 qt (2) jugs. That is an absolute low bottom price for full synthetic oil. I believe it meets or exceeds all of Honda’s oil requirements. I went ahead and purchased 2 cases so I’m good for another 4 oil changes.

Only problem is I’m paying a little higher for labor on oil as I usually go to my local Walmart auto service center but they’ve been closed for a while due to Covid and have to go to Honda dealers.

If Walmart service was still open , I would be paying roughly $31.53 for a full synthetic oil change as the labor is ~18, split the cost of the 21.50+tax for the oil, and 6.75 for honda oil filter and crush washer I bought in a pack off eBay.

When I had my S2K, I would go all out on the oil and get the super expensive Amsoil. Mostly because the S2K burned a lot of oil and I wanted to reduce that. But now I’m going much cheaper with the Insight because it doesn’t burn oil and I don’t run the car nearly as hard.
Am I correct in reading this that you take your own oil to the Dealer for the oil change? If so, I'm shocked a Stealership would allow it

#30 ·
I've discovered that each Honda dealer has its own approach to customer service, some are pretty poor.

My local "Honda World" takes a no haggle approach to selling cars (my preference). I ended up paying more than the lowest price discussed here, but less than the highest. The service department takes a distant "just the facts man" approach. I told them of my gratitude for the corporate discounts I'd been using. So after a couple of routine services visits I mention their above market price for oil, the advisor told me of a bulk discount at Walmart on Mobil 1. I bought enough for 4 oil changes, which I had done at the dealer saving me around $10 on each, plus I got the car wash (a $9 value around here) and other goodies Insightfully listed. Currently the dealer is charging market price for oil and a bundle for labor.

#31 ·
I just got my A1 service done at the local Honda dealership (Honda of Turnersville in NJ).

My car was at 6000 miles, but oil at 5% because one year had elapsed since it’s factory oil change. So I brought it in to get the A1 service done in addition to the two recall software updates.

The A1 service was an oil change plus tire rotation. It was $45 for the oil change, $25 for the tire rotation, and another $10 for the oil filter (which I didn’t ask for but they automatically included anyways - which is fine because I was on the fence about adding it anyways).

So about $80 total, and now I’m good for another year. I doubt I’ll hit the 10k additional miles till the next oil change - will probably be at the one year mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.