Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
I tried Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 for my first oil change then got my first free complimentary oil change at dealer for my 2nd oil change..

For my next , I’m going to give Costco a shot..
[...]
I figure about $13.50 for the oil, ~$18 for labor on oil change at Walmart, ~$8 for oil filter.. I’m out a little under $40 for a full synthetic oil change.. may go down if I find a place that takes less on labor and maybe buy a pack of oil filters online for cheap..possibly could be below $35 a full synthetic oil change..
Just curious, but do you know what the cost/value of the complimentary oil change was from the dealer? My dealer quoted $45 for a full synthetic oil change, which is close to your net price (but without running around town).

Just curious, but do you know what the cost/value of the complimentary oil change was from the dealer? My dealer quoted $45 for a full synthetic oil change, which is close to your net price (but without running around town).
I recently paid $54.95 at the dealer (which includes a "safety check" of tire pressures, battery, other stuff). I didn't ask synthetic or not.

This Honda service center in NY lists the following prices for the different maintenance levels:
  • "A" Service = $ 48.95 (for 0W20 oil): basic oil/filter, tire pressure
  • "B" Service = $159.95+: "A" service plus tire rotate/balance, brake adjust
  • "C" Service = $299.95+: "B" service plus belt/hose adjust, cabin/engine filter, lube, wiper inserts, inspection
  • "D" Service = $454.95+: "C" service plus transmission & cooling fluid service

I recently purchased Kirkland Full synthetic oil at Costco on sale for $21.50 (normally $25) for the cases of 5 qt (2) jugs. That is an absolute low bottom price for full synthetic oil. I believe it meets or exceeds all of Honda’s oil requirements. I went ahead and purchased 2 cases so I’m good for another 4 oil changes.

Only problem is I’m paying a little higher for labor on oil as I usually go to my local Walmart auto service center but they’ve been closed for a while due to Covid and have to go to Honda dealers.

If Walmart service was still open , I would be paying roughly $31.53 for a full synthetic oil change as the labor is ~18, split the cost of the 21.50+tax for the oil, and 6.75 for honda oil filter and crush washer I bought in a pack off eBay.

When I had my S2K, I would go all out on the oil and get the super expensive Amsoil. Mostly because the S2K burned a lot of oil and I wanted to reduce that. But now I’m going much cheaper with the Insight because it doesn’t burn oil and I don’t run the car nearly as hard.
Am I correct in reading this that you take your own oil to the Dealer for the oil change? If so, I'm shocked a Stealership would allow it

Am I correct in reading this that you take your own oil to the Dealer for the oil change? If so, I'm shocked a Stealership would allow it
they said as long as I provide an OEM oil filter, than they can do it.. I think plus side to getting it done at dealer is you get a multi point inspection, as opposed to doing it somewhere else or by yourself..+ I got a free wash .

they said as long as I provide an OEM oil filter, than they can do it.. I think plus side to getting it done at dealer is you get a multi point inspection, as opposed to doing it somewhere else or by yourself..+ I got a free wash .
Did you get a break on the price by providing your own consumables?

That's crazy. I never even gave that a thought. I did my own oil changes on my 98 Altima with Mobil 1. But with my last 2 vehicles (Murano and Explorer) were done at a dealer or a local garage I trust.

I'll have to ask my stealership if they'll do that. My buying experience was less than stellar so the less money I give them the better

I've discovered that each Honda dealer has its own approach to customer service, some are pretty poor.

My local "Honda World" takes a no haggle approach to selling cars (my preference). I ended up paying more than the lowest price discussed here, but less than the highest. The service department takes a distant "just the facts man" approach. I told them of my gratitude for the corporate discounts I'd been using. So after a couple of routine services visits I mention their above market price for oil, the advisor told me of a bulk discount at Walmart on Mobil 1. I bought enough for 4 oil changes, which I had done at the dealer saving me around $10 on each, plus I got the car wash (a $9 value around here) and other goodies Insightfully listed. Currently the dealer is charging market price for oil and a bundle for labor.

I just got my A1 service done at the local Honda dealership (Honda of Turnersville in NJ).

My car was at 6000 miles, but oil at 5% because one year had elapsed since it’s factory oil change. So I brought it in to get the A1 service done in addition to the two recall software updates.

The A1 service was an oil change plus tire rotation. It was $45 for the oil change, $25 for the tire rotation, and another $10 for the oil filter (which I didn’t ask for but they automatically included anyways - which is fine because I was on the fence about adding it anyways).

So about $80 total, and now I’m good for another year. I doubt I’ll hit the 10k additional miles till the next oil change - will probably be at the one year mark.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.