Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I think we already talked about it but I wanted to check if there was any updates.

I checked my oil level last weekend and it was slightly above the end of the orange dipstick and I am 80% sure it was smelling like gas.

My last oil change was in November and I probably drove something like 5000mi since. Oil was fairly dirty actually. I do not have issues with the car otherwise.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is there any test I can do to confirm that there is indeed gas in the oil?
2) Is there any news about potential oil dilution with that engine?

ince.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does this affect our cars? I thought it was the direct-injected engines in the Accords and CRVs.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this affect our cars? I thought it was the direct-injected engines in the Accords and CRVs.
It really shouldn't but the gas smell doesn't lie...

·
Registered
38 Posts
This has bothered me quite a bit as well, even with turbo or natural aspirated engine, you'll find some oil dilution, Simple reason is that expansion and contraction of the piston rings on cold engine and first start ups. And this is a hybrid, which means that the engine probably will not heat up fully for quite a long time driving. I would say almost an hour. If you have short little drives, you will find more gas in the oil. What I do is put mine in sport mode on short drive to keep the engine running longer and of course in the winter time I always use sport mode to heat the engine faster. It use more gas of course but I will find that will be a lot less problems. I change my own oil, and have noticed the same. It has nothing to do whether it's a turbo or not.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This has bothered me quite a bit as well, even with turbo or natural aspirated engine, you'll find some oil dilution, Simple reason is that expansion and contraction of the piston rings on cold engine and first start ups. And this is a hybrid, which means that the engine probably will not heat up fully for quite a long time driving. I would say almost an hour. If you have short little drives, you will find more gas in the oil. What I do is put mine in sport mode on short drive to keep the engine running longer and of course in the winter time I always use sport mode to heat the engine faster. It use more gas of course but I will find that will be a lot less problems. I change my own oil, and have noticed the same. It has nothing to do whether it's a turbo or not.
That is an interesting take. I did notice that in cold days, sometimes the engine never heats up past 120 F in city driving.

I personally prefer to warm up the engine gently and progressively as opposed to quickly using sports mode. I am no mechanic though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does it taste like there is gas in the oil too?

On a more serious note. I have never noticed. I have an oil change in two weeks, so I guess I can check. As a note, there are no bulletins or anything on oil dilution as of March.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello all,

I think we already talked about it but I wanted to check if there was any updates.

I checked my oil level last weekend and it was slightly above the end of the orange dipstick and I am 80% sure it was smelling like gas.

My last oil change was in November and I probably drove something like 5000mi since. Oil was fairly dirty actually. I do not have issues with the car otherwise.

So I guess my questions are:

View attachment 6871 ince.

My last oil change was in September and I have currently driven about 4K miles since. I live in the North East (cold winters & short summers) and my normal commute to work is about 10 miles, so not much time for the engine to warm up. I checked the oil this morning and the color looks pretty much identical to yours. I also noticed a slight hint of gas but I literally had to hold the paper towel 1 inch from my nose to be able to smell it. I have never smelled the oil in any of my previous (non-hybrid) cars, so I don't know if this is normal. I will ask the dealer to check this out, at my next oil change, so that there is a record on file in case this becomes a problem/legal issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My last oil change was in September and I have currently driven about 4K miles since. I live in the North East (cold winters & short summers) and my normal commute to work is about 10 miles, so not much time for the engine to warm up. I checked the oil this morning and the color looks pretty much identical to yours. I also noticed a slight hint of gas but I literally had to hold the paper towel 1 inch from my nose to be able to smell it. I have never smelled the oil in any of my previous (non-hybrid) cars, so I don't know if this is normal. I will ask the dealer to check this out, at my next oil change, so that there is a record on file in case this becomes a problem/legal issue.
They will tell you that it is normal. The only difference that you don’t have to worry about is dirty valves. People with Direct fuel injection have more gas in oil than natural aspirated engines. I’ve seen both Toyota and Mazda four-cylinder NA engines both have some minor dilution. Remember that some dilution is better than sludge any day.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Blackstone Laboratories <--- They can do an oil analysis for you.

The Insight shouldn't have the oil dilution problem. It uses port fuel injection. You might get minor dilution due to your driving style but you would normally burn it off with a long drive.

I checked my oil level last weekend and it was slightly above the end of the orange dipstick.
Double check if your car is on a totally flat surface. Your car could be on a very slight non-even surface so when you pull the dipstick out the reading is off a little. I wouldn't worry about it if it's slightly above the mark. This engine is the same one in the Honda Clarity and most Clarity owners don't even run the gas engine much for the whole year since they drive exclusively in EV mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts