Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning to use different oil? I know some hardcore enthusiasts that live and swear by using Motul but not sure if its really worth deviating from what Honda recommends.
Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
oil change

Honda rep. says Honda has 3 grades of 0-20 w they sell as genuine Honda motor oil , one is semi-syn. and other two full syn. The one MFG. by IDEMITSU is the only one with 800 PPM Moly. It is imported principally for use in Honda Insights.
My Insight has 8000 miles and my free oil change and tire rotation certificate expires 02/15/2019. Now, historically after my 2016 Civic Turbo was serviced by Honda Dealership I paid for full Syn. and found they were using $3.00 /Qt. Honda approved blend and charging full price. The grade was never listed on my invoice.The parts guy said I only issue the blend to the tech.
Since I will be armed with this new info. it's going to get interesting. I expect a freebee gets you a blend.
One other fact. Mobil-1 has 200 PPM Moly. Also, found Wally world full Syn. tested better than Mobil-1.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Interesting information, thanks. I've owned several Audis over the years, and the local Audi dealer always added an aftermarket moly product - Liqui Moly I think - to every oil change....It provides 300ml per oil change...not sure how that translates to ppm.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Honda rep. says Honda has 3 grades of 0-20 w they sell as genuine Honda motor oil , one is semi-syn. and other two full syn. The one MFG. by IDEMITSU is the only one with 800 PPM Moly. It is imported principally for use in Honda Insights.
My Insight has 8000 miles and my free oil change and tire rotation certificate expires 02/15/2019. Now, historically after my 2016 Civic Turbo was serviced by Honda Dealership I paid for full Syn. and found they were using $3.00 /Qt. Honda approved blend and charging full price. The grade was never listed on my invoice. The parts guy said I only issue the blend to the tech. Since I will be armed with this new info. it's going to get interesting. I expect a freebee gets you a blend. One other fact. Mobil-1 has 200 PPM Moly. Also, found Wally world full Syn. tested better than Mobil-1.
What approach will you take to ensure the higher quality oil is used? Does one need to ask for it by manufacturer/name, or is there other way to identify what is requested and what is used?

·
Registered
43 Posts
What approach will you take to ensure the higher quality oil is used? Does one need to ask for it by manufacturer/name, or is there other way to identify what is requested and what is used?
I went to IDEMITSU web site. There is a section called " Find the right oil for your car." I put in 2019 Honda Insight EX 1.5 hybrid fwd. There were no products found for for this vehicle.
I don't know about this oil for insight now. May I somehow goofed and there is forum member who can correct me on this. Thanks, Bogey

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went to IDEMITSU web site. There is a section called " Find the right oil for your car." I put in 2019 Honda Insight EX 1.5 hybrid fwd. There were no products found for for this vehicle.
I don't know about this oil for insight now. May I somehow goofed and there is forum member who can correct me on this. Thanks, Bogey
Too late to edit so new post here. I went to the ZEPRO oil section of the Idemitsu web site. They state their ZEPRO 0w20 oil is optimized for vehicles with "STOP START" technology. Would this include the 2019 Insight?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I went to IDEMITSU web site. There is a section called " Find the right oil for your car." I put in 2019 Honda Insight EX 1.5 hybrid fwd. There were no products found for for this vehicle. I don't know about this oil for insight now. May I somehow goofed and there is forum member who can correct me on this. Thanks, Bogey
The Insight is sometimes the last to be added (lower sales volume?) so maybe the Idemitsu site just needs to be updated. The 2019 Accord Hybrid engine is a larger (2.0L) version of the 2019 Insight engine (1.5L). The Idemitsu site lists both their base "fully synthetic" and "Zepro" for the Accord Hybrid. I think it's safe to assume same oil recommendation/application for the Insight.

https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/search?api-url=/equipment/accord_hybrid_sedan_2_0_accord_hybrid_EFt8PoZrX

·
Registered
312 Posts
The 2019 Accord Hybrid engine is a larger (2.0L) version of the 2019 Insight engine (1.5L). The Idemitsu site lists both their base "fully synthetic" and "Zepro" for the Accord Hybrid. I think it's safe to assume same oil recommendation/application for the Insight.

https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/search?api-url=/equipment/accord_hybrid_sedan_2_0_accord_hybrid_EFt8PoZrX
Honda installed a special oil with moly originally. You/we cannot buy that oil. That's why they want 12000 oil chg. After you change just be aware of change in mpg.
So, between these two posts, I went looking for the "right" replacement oil on Amazon. Idemitsu's base 0W-20 oil costs $20 for 5 quarts, while their Zepro 0W-20, which is advertised as containing moly, costs $34 for the same volume. And for the record, the manual says to have 3.3 L of oil if you're replacing oil, and 3.5 L if you're replacing the oil and filter.

https://smile.amazon.com/Idemitsu-Full-Synthetic-0W-20-Engine/dp/B072KDRZFC/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1_sspa

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B072QXMJBS/ref=psdc_15719391_t3_B072KDRZFC

I guess I'm trying to figure out if this $14 difference means anything. hasarad, any change in MPG after your oil change? What oil did you use?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
So, between these two posts, I went looking for the "right" replacement oil on Amazon. Idemitsu's base 0W-20 oil costs $20 for 5 quarts, while their Zepro 0W-20, which is advertised as containing moly, costs $34 for the same volume. [...] I guess I'm trying to figure out if this $14 difference means anything. hasarad, any change in MPG after your oil change? What oil did you use?
Attached are technical data sheets comparing base Idemitsu 0W20 to their Zepro 0W20 formulation.

Idemitsu calls themselves "pioneers of the 0W20" having originally partnered with Honda 20 years ago. The base 0W20 provides "superior engine cleanliness" while the Zepro 0W20 is enhanced to reduce engine friction and improve fuel economy. Note when purchasing that there are 2 formulations of the Zepro 0W20 - one with Molybdenum, and one for Dexos1 (GM-targeted spec).

The lower viscosity (premium) Zepro is touted as an "ultra low friction synthetic" and "optimized for vehicles equipped with 'stop-start' technology." With a hybrid, engine wear occurs during starts when the engine runs momentarily with low/no oil pressure. The moly provides extra lubrication during those start times, even with the oil's low viscosity.

These articles compare Zepro to conventional oil and cite horsepower, torque, and fuel economy benefits related to friction reduction, though I couldn't find an article directly comparing the base/Zepro Idemitsu formulations. But depending on mpg impact, the price difference could be made up within a few gas fill-ups.
- https://motoiq.com/can-an-oil-change-make-more-power-we-test-idemitsu-zero-eco-medalist-and-find-out/
- https://motoiq.com/can-oil-improve-your-fuel-economy/

I'm MANY miles off from my first oil change, but when the time comes I plan to select the Zepro 0W20 Moly for myself.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
It looks like the properties of "Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy" are comparable to the Idemitsu base. Mobil 1 AFE has a standard amount of phosphorous for anti-wear, and 88 ppm molybdenum (versus 700+ ppm in Zepro).

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic SAE 0W-20 dexos1 API SN/ILSAC GF-5
It's also always in stock at Walmart for a good price. I use K&N model PS-1010 filters as well.

I can't tell if any mpg change since the weather has been wonky lately which makes numbers fluctuate. If there were a change, I doubt it'd be significant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have been using Royal Purple 0-20 in 2010 Insight (sold with 215,000 Miles no issues) and now with 2019 Insight. I only use Honda filters, that's just me. First filter change Honda had already changed the specifications on the filter so I don't know what aftermarket option I would trust at least until the model has a few years under it. Walmart ships to my house free orders over 75 so it's a no-brainer.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Have been using Royal Purple 0-20 in 2010 Insight (sold with 215,000 Miles no issues) and now with 2019 Insight. I only use Honda filters, that's just me. First filter change Honda had already changed the specifications on the filter so I don't know what aftermarket option I would trust at least until the model has a few years under it. Walmart ships to my house free orders over 75 so it's a no-brainer.
Have you already made your first oil change on the 2019 Insight, or do you just plan to reapply the same process from the 2010 Insight?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been using Mobil-1 Full Synth for 11+ years and before I traded-in my '08 Accord with 127K miles, the mechanic inspected the engine and said it was the cleanest engine he'd seen with those miles logged. I'm sticking with Mobil-1 also because when I went to order 5qt oil I found this nugget posted by a Veteran who's been using Mobil-1 since its inception. Enjoy.

WWII Veteran Posted on Wal-Mart for Mobil-1 Synthetic Oils:

I have been using Mobil 1 in all my cars since Mobil first put it on the market. Here is why: I was a fighter pilot in the Navy during Vietnam. My last duty was as a functional test pilot at the Naval Air Rework Facility in Pensacola, Florida. On one test flight, in an A-4 Skyhawk, I was at 40,000 feet about 125 miles south of the main field at Pensacola Naval Air Station. A hose (pipe) broke and I lost all my engine oil in about 15 seconds. The procedure was to set 92% RPM, about 27,000 RPM, and minimize stress on the engine until short final, and then s l o w l y reduce power to idle when the runway was made. I declared my emergency and returned to Sherman Field. It took 25 minutes to get back and, when the runway was made, I slowly reduced power to idle. The engine seized, stopping from 27,000 RPM to dead stop is about 2 seconds. It torqued the airframe about 45 degrees, from which I recovered and rolled out without an engine. When I asked the Pratt Whitney rep how I had been able to fly for 25 minutes with no oil he explained that the Navy jet aircraft used synthetic oil made by Mobil Oil. At that time it was not available for cars, but once it was I immediately changed my cars to Mobil 1. I had bought a Honda Accord when they were first brought to the US. After 11 months and 12,000 miles there was a recall because Honda had found that head bolts had not been tempered properly. As my wife and I waited in the waiting area a mechanic came out holding something in a large shop rag. He asked if the Accord was ours. He then showed us what was in the rag. It was our Cam Shaft. He wanted to know if we had changed the Cam, because when he cleaned it up it had absolutely no wear marks and could have been put back on the rack and sold as new. He wanted to know how this was possible. I explained my history with Mobil synthetic oils. I told him I had changed to Mobil 1 when the break-in was done at 500 miles. I changed again at 1,000 miles to get rid of the rest of the regular oil that was in the system. (I changed the oil filter at the same time, also.) He changed his own car over to Mobil 1. Besides that, the price I paid at Walmart was less than half what everyone else was charging, including online. The bottom line: The best oil at an impressive price. It doesn't get any better than that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have been using Mobil-1 Full Synth for 11+ years and before I traded-in my '08 Accord with 127K miles, the mechanic inspected the engine and said it was the cleanest engine he'd seen with those miles logged. I'm sticking with Mobil-1 also because when I went to order 5qt oil I found this nugget posted by a Veteran who's been using Mobil-1 since its inception. Enjoy.

WWII Veteran Posted on Wal-Mart for Mobil-1 Synthetic Oils:

I have been using Mobil 1 in all my cars since Mobil first put it on the market. Here is why: I was a fighter pilot in the Navy during Vietnam. My last duty was as a functional test pilot at the Naval Air Rework Facility in Pensacola, Florida. On one test flight, in an A-4 Skyhawk, I was at 40,000 feet about 125 miles south of the main field at Pensacola Naval Air Station. A hose (pipe) broke and I lost all my engine oil in about 15 seconds. The procedure was to set 92% RPM, about 27,000 RPM, and minimize stress on the engine until short final, and then s l o w l y reduce power to idle when the runway was made. I declared my emergency and returned to Sherman Field. It took 25 minutes to get back and, when the runway was made, I slowly reduced power to idle. The engine seized, stopping from 27,000 RPM to dead stop is about 2 seconds. It torqued the airframe about 45 degrees, from which I recovered and rolled out without an engine. When I asked the Pratt Whitney rep how I had been able to fly for 25 minutes with no oil he explained that the Navy jet aircraft used synthetic oil made by Mobil Oil. At that time it was not available for cars, but once it was I immediately changed my cars to Mobil 1. I had bought a Honda Accord when they were first brought to the US. After 11 months and 12,000 miles there was a recall because Honda had found that head bolts had not been tempered properly. As my wife and I waited in the waiting area a mechanic came out holding something in a large shop rag. He asked if the Accord was ours. He then showed us what was in the rag. It was our Cam Shaft. He wanted to know if we had changed the Cam, because when he cleaned it up it had absolutely no wear marks and could have been put back on the rack and sold as new. He wanted to know how this was possible. I explained my history with Mobil synthetic oils. I told him I had changed to Mobil 1 when the break-in was done at 500 miles. I changed again at 1,000 miles to get rid of the rest of the regular oil that was in the system. (I changed the oil filter at the same time, also.) He changed his own car over to Mobil 1. Besides that, the price I paid at Walmart was less than half what everyone else was charging, including online. The bottom line: The best oil at an impressive price. It doesn't get any better than that.
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20 is $10 OFF at COSTCO - $28.69 for a case of 6 qts. Sale price good until June 16.

Reactions: ScubaGuy

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been an AMS OIL guy for over 20 years. High mileage SUV's and Mini-vans have gotten complements from my mechanics for a super clean crankcase. No sludge!

I just did my first oil change and put AMS OIL Signature Series SAE 0W-20 100% synthetic rated for up to 25,000 miles, although I change at the car's recommended schedule. It says, "Used in applications that require any of the following specifications: API SN (Resource Conserving), SM GM dexos1 gen 2 (supersedes 6094M), ACEA A1/B1, Chrysler MS-6305, Ford WSS-M2C947-A, ILSAC GF-5 / GF-4, exceeds dexos1 gen 2 sulfated ash specification."

Everyone knows "it's the best" :D

I also use Wix 57356 EAC filters. Many ASMOIL users will change the filters and reuse the same oil. I never did that. Some say I wasted oil. Maybe so, but I want a super clean engine.

Pulled a 71.8 MPG drive home from the dealer service...usually in the 50+ MPG range. That's a good sign!

Phil

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I have been an AMS OIL guy for over 20 years. High mileage SUV's and Mini-vans have gotten complements from my mechanics for a super clean crankcase. No sludge!

I just did my first oil change and put AMS OIL Signature Series SAE 0W-20 100% synthetic rated for up to 25,000 miles, although I change at the car's recommended schedule. It says, "Used in applications that require any of the following specifications: API SN (Resource Conserving), SM GM dexos1 gen 2 (supersedes 6094M), ACEA A1/B1, Chrysler MS-6305, Ford WSS-M2C947-A, ILSAC GF-5 / GF-4, exceeds dexos1 gen 2 sulfated ash specification."

Everyone knows "it's the best" :D

I also use Wix 57356 EAC filters. Many ASMOIL users will change the filters and reuse the same oil. I never did that. Some say I wasted oil. Maybe so, but I want a super clean engine.

Pulled a 71.8 MPG drive home from the dealer service...usually in the 50+ MPG range. That's a good sign!

Phil
My numbers appeared to have bumped up significantly since my first oil change. Here's to hoping the 71+mpg you got on the way home is not just an anomaly!

·
Registered
158 Posts
My numbers appeared to have bumped up significantly since my first oil change. Here's to hoping the 71+mpg you got on the way home is not just an anomaly!
I think not...The Stewarts gas station I just filled up at (some 17 miles away) is at the same elevation as my home, and I scored my FIRST EVER (wait for it) 80.5 MPG from the station to my driveway! :surprise:

I am about to publish today's test runs on the end of that last tank before fillup, and that was a good tank. I have a feeling this one will be better. :wink:

Phil

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts