Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a 2019 Insight. I have been on the fence on whether to purchase a 2017 BMW i3 REX, or a 2019 Honda Insight. Interior space is about the same, the Honda gets such great gas mileage and is slightly less expensive than the 2017 i3. Monthly operating expense (including car payment) is about the same.

Before I can make a decision on which to buy, I need to know if the “oil burn” issue exists in the 2019 models. I read that this was a problem in previous generations. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
The Insight is port injected, not direct. As well, it is not turbocharged. There is no oil burn or dilution issue with this model.

I'm not sure how much you drive, but the Insight is best suited for those with significant commutes. This it where it shines in fuel economy. Short hops contribute mpg hits.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Before I can make a decision on which to buy, I need to know if the “oil burn” issue exists in the 2019 models. I read that this was a problem in previous generations. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!!
To clarify, are you referring an oil burn issue you've heard about on prior Insight models (Gen1 = 2000-2006, Gen 2 = 2010-2014)? Or oil dilution issues on other Honda models like Civic, CR-V, etc.?

·
Registered
206 Posts
To clarify, are you referring an oil burn issue you've heard about on prior Insight models (Gen1 = 2000-2006, Gen 2 = 2010-2014)? Or oil dilution issues on other Honda models like Civic, CR-V, etc.?
My wife had a 2006 gen 1 which she ran to 106,000. No oil burning or related problem.
I had a 2010 gen 2 which I drove to 87, 000. No oil burning or related problem there either.
FYI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts