Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2019 insight touring for 2 months now and I've discovered a strange issue with the navigation system. If I try to start navigating through google maps in android auto the route will try to load for a good minute or so before failing and giving an option to retry. I tried a couple of things like removing then adding back my phone to the smartphones connection list and simply waiting longer between starting up the car and trying to use google maps but they didn't seem to work.

Eventually I discovered a combination that works: If I start a route using the on board navigation first then start a route in google maps a system notification displays saying something along the lines of 'navigation has been switched to android auto' and it magically starts working. This trick always works but I need to do it any time I want to use google maps navigation and it's that extra step that annoys me (#firstworldproblems).
I know that the on board navigation is one of the premium features of the touring model but I just prefer the experience of google maps.

Has anybody else run into this issue or have any suggestions for me to try?

P.s. not sure if it's relevant but this is a Canadian touring model.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts
I've had my 2019 insight touring for 2 months now and I've discovered a strange issue with the navigation system. If I try to start navigating through google maps in android auto the route will try to load for a good minute or so before failing and giving an option to retry. I tried a couple of things like removing then adding back my phone to the smartphones connection list and simply waiting longer between starting up the car and trying to use google maps but they didn't seem to work.

Eventually I discovered a combination that works: If I start a route using the on board navigation first then start a route in google maps a system notification displays saying something along the lines of 'navigation has been switched to android auto' and it magically starts working. This trick always works but I need to do it any time I want to use google maps navigation and it's that extra step that annoys me (#firstworldproblems).
I know that the on board navigation is one of the premium features of the touring model but I just prefer the experience of google maps.

Has anybody else run into this issue or have any suggestions for me to try?

P.s. not sure if it's relevant but this is a Canadian touring model.
Your thread somehow got stuck in the moderation Q pending review. :sad:

Google Maps w/Android Auto has been plug and play for me with no issues(I own an EX but it shouldn't be different on the Touring).

Try the following steps:

1. Delete the phone from Android Auto via the Car
  2. Delete the bluetooth profile for the phone via the Car
  3. Forget the HandsFreeLink via the phone's bluetooth settings
  4. Go to Android Auto settings page and "Forget all cars" under Connected Cars
  5. Go to app storage, "clear cache", and "clear storage" for Android Auto
  6. Check to see if any updates available in Google Play store.
  7. Plug in phone to car via usb port and go through the pairing process again
Hope that helps! :smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your thread somehow got stuck in the moderation Q pending review. :sad:

Google Maps w/Android Auto has been plug and play for me with no issues(I own an EX but it shouldn't be different on the Touring).

Try the following steps:

1. Delete the phone from Android Auto via the Car
  2. Delete the bluetooth profile for the phone via the Car
  3. Forget the HandsFreeLink via the phone's bluetooth settings
  4. Go to Android Auto settings page and "Forget all cars" under Connected Cars
  5. Go to app storage, "clear cache", and "clear storage" for Android Auto
  6. Check to see if any updates available in Google Play store.
  7. Plug in phone to car via usb port and go through the pairing process again
Hope that helps! :smile:
I almost forgot that I even made this post and didn't realize someone had replied.

I gave your suggestions a try but still no luck. :sad:
My guess is that somehow the car's navigation system blocks navigation through android auto until a route is started by the car's nav system. Kind of like it's saying "ME FIRST! Okay now you can have a turn".
I suppose I should try connecting my fiancee's iPhone to see if I get the same issue in CarPlay, or test another android device to see if my phone is the root cause.

Thanks for the help anyway!

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
I almost forgot that I even made this post and didn't realize someone had replied.

I gave your suggestions a try but still no luck. :sad:
My guess is that somehow the car's navigation system blocks navigation through android auto until a route is started by the car's nav system. Kind of like it's saying "ME FIRST! Okay now you can have a turn".
I suppose I should try connecting my fiancee's iPhone to see if I get the same issue in CarPlay, or test another android device to see if my phone is the root cause.

Thanks for the help anyway!
Maybe rebooting the infotainment system will help? https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2602-infotainment-system-restarting-rebooting-instructions.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was wondering if you were able to get a fix on this issue with google maps? I have the same issue here in NY Touring edition....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you had better luck with CarPlay rather than Android Audio?
I still haven't gotten around to trying out CarPlay, I'll try and remind myself to do it sometime soon.

That's a good idea, I'll have to put aside some time to give that a try and maybe investigate some of the settings.

i was wondering if you were able to get a fix on this issue with google maps? I have the same issue here in NY Touring edition....
Still no luck but I'll let you know if i make any headway with the other suggestions. It's a bit of a relief to know that I'm not alone though!

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just got my new 2019 touring, but I noticed the Android Auto Navigation doesn't work from the first time. When I enter a destination, google map just give a RETRY message.
It looks like this issue has been reported on Accord:
https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/8777069?hl=en

Does everyone have the same issue on Insight?

Thanks
Thanks for all the feedback. The Honda team has investigated and is currently working to release a fix for affected cars. We are not able to share the timeline of the release at the moment, but we’ll update this thread when we have more information to share. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
It seems like it affects only the Touring trim and a software update from Honda is required.

Android Auto w/Google Maps works fine on my EX. Have you try Waze to see if it works? Google Maps uses the car's GPS on Android Auto while Waze still uses the phone's GPS for navigation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, I actually made a post about what I believe is the same issue you are facing.
My work around is to quickly launch the honda navigation and start a route then just switch over to android auto and start navigating again. This gets android auto navigation to work for me 100% of the time.
Some other members suggested rebooting the infotainment and trying apple carplay but I have not tested them yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
Hey, I actually made a post about what I believe is the same issue you are facing.
My work around is to quickly launch the honda navigation and start a route then just switch over to android auto and start navigating again. This gets android auto navigation to work for me 100% of the time.
Some other members suggested rebooting the infotainment and trying apple carplay but I have not tested them yet.

The Android Auto team notified Honda on 7/31 and acknowledged they're working on a fix for the Touring trim Hondas.

Thanks andrew28 and crabsinsight, I just tried Waze. It works without any issue. I will use it for now.
I would also recommend not letting your phone update Android Auto to version 4.7. It introduced a bug when using Waze where the GPS doesn't acquire your location when the phone's screen is off. I'm currently experiencing this issue so I've been using Google Maps instead. https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=233407&sid=f7f83d648586349dd2aa988189676667&start=500

·
Registered
9 Posts

The Android Auto team notified Honda on 7/31 and acknowledged they're working on a fix for the Touring trim Hondas.

I would also recommend not letting your phone update Android Auto to version 4.7. It introduced a bug when using Waze where the GPS doesn't acquire your location when the phone's screen is off. I'm currently experiencing this issue so I've been using Google Maps instead. https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=233407&sid=f7f83d648586349dd2aa988189676667&start=500
:surprise: checked my phone, my AA is already 4.7.x... But Waze worked fine when I came back home. Will keep trying it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
:surprise: checked my phone, my AA is already 4.7.x... But Waze worked fine when I came back home. Will keep trying it tomorrow.
Android Auto 4.8 and Waze 4.57 released recently fixed this issue for me.

Looks like the Insight's first OTA update is coming soon. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts