Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing an tire check on my Touring when I realized that there was venting in front of the front left tire through the front bumper below the fog light. When I checked the right wheel, fake vent. Interesting asymmetrical design requirement.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
The 'active' vent on the driver side lower grille supposedly helps cool the electric motors... so the asymmetry relates to motor placement, and it present on all trim levels.
Clarification. There is a transmission cooler (ATF Cooler) = the transmission oil is being cooled.
Also, a brief mention of underbody cooling/airflow from Honda's Gen3 Insight press kit:

Underneath, the new Insight features the flattest underbody of any Honda production vehicle. A molded under-panel is positioned directly beneath the front fascia, smoothly starting the rearward flow of air beneath the vehicle. An aluminum under-tray is positioned underneath the engine and transmission and features a cooling duct that allows ambient airflow to the hydraulic engine mount. Front strakes are positioned right in front the front tires to reduce tire wake. Side under-panels extend from behind the front wheels all the way to the rear of the vehicle, significantly smoothing the airflow as it travels rearward, while also reducing wind noise in the passenger cabin. Like at the front, rear strakes are positioned right in front of the rear tires to reduce tire wake.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An aluminum under-tray is positioned underneath the engine and transmission and features a cooling duct that allows ambient airflow to the hydraulic engine mount.
Of course, this was the tray that was bent on my Insight, after driving through our snow filled alley. Took it to my mechanic and asked them to bend it back. They did said they added some hardware to keep it in place. I'll have to quiz them about the "duct" and ask the dealer at next visit to judge their work.

Chicago doesn't plow alleys but runs garbage trucks through them to clear some excess snow and create rails for folks to drive through. Had waited for other cars to drive first through the alley. Didn't notice bent tray until I had driven up a curb to move the vehicle out of a lane that heard the tingling of metal contact.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The actual cooler in front of the drivers side tire is for the inverter/electronics. There is a separate cooler that runs the span of the radiator towards the bottom that cools the ATF used to cool the motors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts