Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
comma.ai – Introducing openpilot
https://github.com/commaai/openpilot
openpilot is an open source driver assistance system. Currently, it performs the functions of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Automated Lane Centering (ALC) for selected Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Volkswagen. It's about on par with Tesla Autopilot and GM Super Cruise, and better than all other manufacturers.
Currently supports Honda vehicles like the Civic, CRV, and Accord. It overrides the ACC and LKAS from Honda while still keeping other Honda Sense safety systems active. No nagging to keep your hand on the wheel every 15 seconds, smarter than Honda's ACC/LKAS system with constant improvements, and doubles as a dashcam. Footage is automatically uploaded to the cloud and is used to improve OpenPilot's AI similar to Tesla's Autopilot.

Link to request for Honda Insight compatibility. comma.ai – Supported Cars

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was actually the first Insight user to use OpenPilot on the Insight and its come so far. Add me on Discord we have a small group who use it everyday

Ironworm#8498

Like andrew said when I take my car in I just unplug the wires and its as if nothing was done to it.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually the first Insight user to use OpenPilot on the Insight and its come so far. Add me on Discord we have a small group who use it everyday

Ironworm#8498

Like andrew said when I take my car in I just unplug the wires and its as if nothing was done to it.
Wait... So OpenPilot is already supported on the Insight? :surprise:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I was considering open pilot but the start-up costs are a bit high. Looks like the unit plus the connector take you to about 1,100 in cost. The main page doesn't mention the insight as supported officially. Wondering if it's just happens to work since Honda sending is the same across the board across most newer models. Also wonder if it fixes the problem the insight has with recognizing still cars at lower speeds under ACC. This seems to be a problem with a lot of other car manufacturers as well. I really wish I could put Ford's acc system on my Honda insight. It's really incredible and almost never missed non-moving cars at lights.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was considering open pilot but the start-up costs are a bit high. Looks like the unit plus the connector take you to about 1,100 in cost. The main page doesn't mention the insight as supported officially. Wondering if it's just happens to work since Honda sending is the same across the board across most newer models. Also wonder if it fixes the problem the insight has with recognizing still cars at lower speeds under ACC. This seems to be a problem with a lot of other car manufacturers as well. I really wish I could put Ford's acc system on my Honda insight. It's really incredible and almost never missed non-moving cars at lights.

Yeah, EON + Panda harness = $1,000. I'm currently a low mileage driver so it wouldn't make sense for me right now but I'm interested in following the project's development for the Insight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Screw that ! I can't justify spending that kind of money for something that will void my warranty and possibly a Lawsuit if in an accident and I wasn't able to disconnect the wiring to put it back to the Factory settings. Obviously the Insurance Company would see the "Hardware" that was replaced anyway. No Go for me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
One part in the video he started talking about was the roads not being level (all tilt to the side) and that the software is doing a better job at handling that. It is my understanding that our cars have straight driving assist that helps keep you from fighting side to side drift on roads like this. One part of my drive to work has a road like this and lane keep does a great job - and when I turn it off, the car certainly does keep going straight. I'm sure this is done with the accelorametors / gyros built into the VSA system.. I wonder if open pilot can tap into this system....

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I ran across this software late last year. Now there is a company that has built and is selling the hardware to go with the software. Previously you had to use your phone to connect to the ODBII port. Has anyone here bought this yet? I am considering it.

The Hardware: comma.ai – Introducing openpilot

Youtube of how it works:

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
So I ran across this software late last year. Now there is a company that has built and is selling the hardware to go with the software. Previously you had to use your phone to connect to the ODBII port. Has anyone here bought this yet? I am considering it.
@Ironworm is one forum member who has mentioned using OpenPilot on the Insight

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man, if this stopped at red lights I'd just pull the trigger right now. I take a highway on the way home, but the city keeps adding intersections and it's slowly turning into a 45mph zone. Very cool and I will most certainly be getting this at some point.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

OpenPilot officially supports the 2019 Honda Insight with the new comma two hardware! I'm going to wait until they drop the price because $1k is too rich for me to try. 😅

Man, if this stopped at red lights I'd just pull the trigger right now. I take a highway on the way home, but the city keeps adding intersections and it's slowly turning into a 45mph zone. Very cool and I will most certainly be getting this at some point.
Newer version of the software.

I found someone on youtube using it with the 2019 Honda Insight.

·
Registered
604 Posts
View attachment 4985

OpenPilot officially supports the 2019 Honda Insight with the new comma two hardware! I'm going to wait until they drop the price because $1k is too rich for me to try. 😅

Newer version of the software.

I found someone on youtube using it with the 2019 Honda Insight.
I currently have it on order and when I get it I will feature it on my channel and review it for all if you. Insight support was just recently added and apparently was coded by one of the guys on the insight club discord server. A lot of those guys code their own forks into the software to get it to run even better or respond in ways they prefer over standard settings. Some have even added more torque to the steering (replace steering wheel with more powerful motor?) And coded so the car can handle harder turns as part of the system. This code is not bring shared at this time for obvious concerns over liability issues. I'm hoping over time I might be able to get involved in this since more active self steering is definitely my cup of tea. Unfortunately those who know me or watch my videos know I'm not all there upstairs so I doubt I'll be able to learn how to code this myself. Either way I look forward to doing a lot of videos explaining the system and how it works and how to install it in your insight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The hardware is on back order right now. I wish it was in stock, I am taking a trip from Pennsylvania to Florida at the end of the month and would love to have this in the car for the trip. Maybe for the next trip I will have it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The hardware is on back order right now. I wish it was in stock, I am taking a trip from Pennsylvania to Florida at the end of the month and would love to have this in the car for the trip. Maybe for the next trip I will have it.
The casings are 3d printed I believe and the whole thing is put together in a small place that looks more like a garage than a big company. It takes a bit of time to put them together but basically they are Android phones with special casings installed. Older versions are available for sale by people looking to upgrade for significantly less money. They aren't as elegant in the hookup but they do work.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Okay. I've held off on my visual review of the comma 2, but for those on the fence, I'll be as truthful as I can for now until I'm ready to really tell you what I think.
It's definitely very cool, and it works...to a point. If you do a lot of highway driving.. and I mean A LOT, then it might be worth it to you. If most of your driving is regular roads and such then get ready to be annoyed to the pits of hell by the torque limitations. The Honda's in general have this problem and getting a resolution to the problem is a monumental task. Certain individuals have the knowledge on how to fix the problem and they are VERY selective on who they will share it with. Without this modification, especially on the Insight, I find the unit to be a cool device that I'd love to play with, but is basically useless on a Honda outside of Highway driving only. I will give you a video review on installation and my drive and a final review later on on why I can't recommend it on the Insight without a torque modification.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay. I've held off on my visual review of the comma 2, but for those on the fence, I'll be as truthful as I can for now until I'm ready to really tell you what I think.
It's definitely very cool, and it works...to a point. If you do a lot of highway driving.. and I mean A LOT, then it might be worth it to you. If most of your driving is regular roads and such then get ready to be annoyed to the pits of hell by the torque limitations. The Honda's in general have this problem and getting a resolution to the problem is a monumental task. Certain individuals have the knowledge on how to fix the problem and they are VERY selective on who they will share it with. Without this modification, especially on the Insight, I find the unit to be a cool device that I'd love to play with, but is basically useless on a Honda outside of Highway driving only. I will give you a video review on installation and my drive and a final review later on on why I can't recommend it on the Insight without a torque modification.
Yeah, I knew about the steering torque limitation for Honda vehicles. I think Honda limited the steering torque as a mitigation for false positive lane correction. If they made steering torque stronger the car will be able to follow curves better but you will experience scary moments if the car thinks it should be following a lane marker it shouldn't. Requiring you to react quicker and more strength to correct the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts