Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I drive Uber/Lyft with my Insight. Demand has picked up a lot here in SoCal over the last weeks and I wanted to get your opinion on offering riders (for a flat rate fee) the option of using my Oculus Quest VR headset. I was thinking about using 3m Command hanging strips to stick it to my roof.

Only problem is that COVID-19 is still relevant now and wanted to find out what you think. I could sanitize/wipe down the headset after every use.

Do you think I should just wait it out until COVID-19 dies down significantly?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I feel that would be unsafe in a number of ways personally. I have driven for Lyft - and I quit after only doing so for a very short time but it seems to me having the Oculus in your car as an extra step may be a hassle as well. I'm not sure too many people will take you up on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
VR in a moving car will probably result in a lot of clean-up of the back seat when the riders get nauseous. I wouldn't do it regardless of the COVID-19 situation.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VR in a moving car will probably result in a lot of clean-up of the back seat when the riders get nauseous. I wouldn't do it regardless of the COVID-19 situation.
I didn’t think of people getting nauseous using it in a car, but reminds me of when I was at an arcade 2 years ago and they had a VR headset there and one of the guys wanted to give up halfway through because he said it’s so “immersive” and felt sick..

I don’t get like that when using VR (never tried it in a moving car) , but everyone will have different tolerances.

it wouldn’t be too much of a hassle to put in car and connect and the quest is very simple to use and I could just leave it strapped to my roof.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also if I could just warm them if they start to feel nauseous , immediately stop using it.

I could also experiment with charging such as, if you didn’t like experience , no charge . Just let them know up front.. if you like experience , Ill accept your money , but if you didn’t , then no charge .. may also keep myUner/Lyft rating high .

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
You may want to think of a cut-off time for the VR due to the possibility of people imbibing and getting a uber/lyft ride home. I wouldn't trust them to stop when things get wierd.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Also if I could just warm them if they start to feel nauseous , immediately stop using it.

I could also experiment with charging such as, if you didn’t like experience , no charge . Just let them know up front.. if you like experience , Ill accept your money , but if you didn’t , then no charge .. may also keep myUner/Lyft rating high .
What's the average ride/drive time per passenger in your car? If majority are short (<15 min) trips, might not be worth offering. But there might be more value and use from passengers on longer drives.

Personally, as a rider, I mostly want to get to my destination and/or already plan to do something else while not driving (e.g. text, call, talk with others in car). VR offering isn't something I'd choose to use during a ride; but I am also one of those people who gets car-sick when riding as a passenger rather than as a driver.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m going to give this a try in a month or 2 when COVID dies down more.

Worse case scenario is people consistently give me a hard time about it and I just discontinue it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think we can’t all wait for there to be a COVID vaccine so we can get back to somewhat normal.

I think that’s when I’ll start offering VR in my car (that kinda rhymed). It’ll be great too as I have a pretty good sound system they can connect to. Plus I was thinking about creating a quick hiding spot I can tuck it away if I pick up passengers I suspect might give me an issue (drunks, a lot of young guys)..

I may even post some videos of my experiences. I always wanted to create a YouTube channel of my Uber/Lyft adventures but don’t want to risk getting deactivated by either company (as quite a few have on YT).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts