Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Is that street legal to do?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Probably as legal as the LED turn signal lights I installed. ;)
Nice. Makes the lights resemble 'American' car models with red-colored turn signals. What tint film or application did you use?
I can't believe I never noticed my Ford Fusion had red turn signal lights or that other cars had them. I must be colorblind or this article I found was really on to something. :(

·
Registered
836 Posts
Only major downside, is it now looks more like an accord from a quick glance, but with your car color, I love the results.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Nice. What percent tint did you apply to windows and what type/brand material did you apply to tail lights? Does the tint extend to the front windows and windshield as well?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Does it make it harder for other drivers to see your turn signals at night? It appears you tinted the reflector strips, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, light visibility is not affected much. And yes, the reflectors are done too. I’ll have to get night pictures posted. The led portion of the taillights are not tinted, so no effect on brake lights. We

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight Touring
2 Posts
I always prefer taillights with very little yellow or white on it, I prefer solid red as much as possible. So i tried for the first time vinyl wrapping the tail lights of my 2021 Insight Touring. Im so happy with the result. I just realize after, its quite similar to a BMW 4 series (see comparison photo)
Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Car Luxury vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Mode of transport Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
431 Posts
Don’t mean to burst your bubble and welcome to the forum. But don’t you think that might be dangerous since the turn signals are clearly a different color than the brake lights, but now you have matching brake and turn lights.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight Touring
2 Posts
Don’t mean to burst your bubble and welcome to the forum. But don’t you think that might be dangerous since the turn signals are clearly a different color than the brake lights, but now you have matching brake and turn lights.
Hi, I see your point. Although im not too concern considering Insight's turn signal is quite big, it high up and wrapped around the corner. And although the vinyl wrap I used appear red when not lit, its actually more dark orangy than red (when lit) and since i didnt change the amber bulb, the turn signal when lit appear more like tangerine. Its hard not to get the attention of the driver behind. Thanks for your comment.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Hi, I see your point. Although im not too concern considering Insight's turn signal is quite big, it high up and wrapped around the corner. And although the vinyl wrap I used appear red when not lit, its actually more dark orangy than red (when lit) and since i didnt change the amber bulb, the turn signal when lit appear more like tangerine. Its hard not to get the attention of the driver behind. Thanks for your comment.
Nice job, looks pretty seamless. Plenty of American cars (and the BMW example) have red rear turn signals, and the flashing light is the differentiator between turn signal and braking on those cars. The turn signal is sometimes even integrated/exchanged with the brake light on some American cars (which makes it hard to see), and your set up is better in that it maintains the turn signal and braking separate. @andrew28 shared a related article on the topic of red/amber rear turn signals in post #5 above. - Turn signals - amber or red?

The clear rear turn signal covers weren't my favorite feature on the Insight; I wish they were yellow-tinted like on my older Hondas. And with them being somewhat top-mounted, they're more subject to UV yellowing... which I guess could achieve that 'yellow' turn signal look eventually LOL... but I've also considered adding UV wrap on the rear turn signal cover as some others have done.

If you have a chance, could you share video of the color relative to the brakes when the turn signal is activated? What material did you choose to use?

·
Registered
242 Posts
First of all, I hate you. Red turn signals, blasphemy! Anywho, I am a little bit surprised that the turn signals are still orangish. I was always taught any tint you put over an incandescent bulb will turn it that color while LEDs will remain mostly true to the color of the bulb. Lastly, I am glad you are in Canada and I never have to be cursred by seeing your horrible red turn signal... I might be a little bit opinionated on this subject.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I am glad you are in Canada and I never have to be cursred by seeing your horrible red turn signal... I might be a little bit opinionated on this subject.
Umm... how are you dealing with all the cars in 'Merica that come with standard red rear turn signals? More of those models invade US roads than in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
Other than the cost saving by combining the stop/turn function into the same bulb, I've never understood why the rear signals wouldn't be amber. I've had VWs in front of me signal and pump the brakes at the same time. Like, which way are you turning dude?

I don't mind the clear lenses. The LED upgrade I did a while back is holding up well and looks awesome.

BTW, there is a group page on Facebook named, "I Tint My Tail Lights So They Work Less." Check it out for a laugh.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts