Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive gotten as high as ~54mpg recently and at 52.2 right now.. i really wonder why Honda was not able to get better gas mileage for this car as the 2016 Toyota Prius had an average MPG of 52.. goes to show that pushing passed the 60mpg mark will be difficult or possibly ways off.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
ive gotten as high as ~54mpg recently and at 52.2 right now.. i really wonder why Honda was not able to get better gas mileage for this car as the 2016 Toyota Prius had an average MPG of 52.. goes to show that pushing passed the 60mpg mark will be difficult or possibly ways off.
Honda and Toyota made different choices for hybrid system design. Honda uses 2-motor generator system, while the Prius uses planetary power split. This "Alex on Autos" video previously shared by @andrew28 does a nice job explaining the difference.

Honda's design provides scalable advantage because to make improvements, only the battery and inverter need to be upsized to generate more power (see 10:00 mark in video). But making this upgrade is also about "what the market will bear" - if competition isn't improving that much, there isn't a ton of incentive to invest extra to be "better."

·
Registered
110 Posts
On a trip from Santa Cruz to Silicon Valley and back, I am able to get between 45 to 47 MPG (2019 Touring). There is a 1800 foot mountain in between, so I see low 30s MPG going up, then gain greatly going down.
My partner has a 2019 Prius XLE and she averages better than 60 MPG on the same trip!
Mind you she likes the drive in my Insight better (except for the mighty engine roar going uphill), and 45 MPG is an awfully nice number, but why can't Honda do much better?

·
Registered
53 Posts
On a trip from Santa Cruz to Silicon Valley and back, I am able to get between 45 to 47 MPG (2019 Touring). There is a 1800 foot mountain in between, so I see low 30s MPG going up, then gain greatly going down.
My partner has a 2019 Prius XLE and she averages better than 60 MPG on the same trip!
Mind you she likes the drive in my Insight better (except for the mighty engine roar going uphill), and 45 MPG is an awfully nice number, but why can't Honda do much better?
How's the Insight's handling on Highway 17?
I assume the regenerative braking works really well through the mountains, and saves the brake pads from overheating.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Prior to buying my gen 3 Insight I rented a Prius to drive the 300 odd miles from the Portland airport home. It drove and handled like a big car and my mpg was similar to the gen 2 tech in the Honda Civic hybrid I was driving at the time.

Currently my gen 3 is much much more fun to drive, and my mpg is doing much better too !!

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
298 Posts
Interesting comparison. Was it about the same outside temperature with the Prius? And same loading?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know about the Prius (it's called the Pius in Boulder, CO), but I've averaged in the high 50's since I've had my 2019 LX. Mind you, I still have under 4,000 miles on it. . .

·
Registered
337 Posts
With summer gas and the heat, I'm finally hitting sweet numbers:
  • 100 mi trip with 600ft gain in elevation, mostly highway @ around 65-72mph, 84°F with AC @ 74°F = 50.9mpg total.
  • 75mph constant returns about 40.9mpg
I'm actually very happy with both numbers, the first one being 6 mpg above the Touring hwy MPG, for higher speeds and with elevation gain. For the second number, I don't think many cars including the Prius get much more than that at that speed.
I'd like to see a speed challenge up a mountain with a Prius vs Insight.. See which one starts to struggle or slow down from 80mph while going up a long steep mountain (Like in AZ from Phoenix to Flagstaff). Haha..

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd like to see a speed challenge up a mountain with a Prius vs Insight.. See which one starts to struggle or slow down from 80mph while going up a long steep mountain (Like in AZ from Phoenix to Flagstaff). Haha..
... and don't forget your earplugs!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I drove that highway a couple years ago in a rented car. My usual 70-72 mph was SLOW traffic on that road 80 was more common. 85 + was the fast traffic !

·
Registered
298 Posts
I drove that highway a couple years ago in a rented car. My usual 70-72 mph was SLOW traffic on that road 80 was more common. 85 + was the fast traffic !
Oh wow, I was thinking I know nothing about these West coast roads... but I drove it too! Was on a massive Kia Sorento rental... I have no clue about the mpg though I was looking at the landscape :D and gas was paid by company 😂😂😂

·
Registered
337 Posts
I drove the first gen Prius as a rental through my old job as a demo.. I had the car for a week.. It was amazing getting 45 mpg back then.. I decided to give it a proper AZ road trip.. about half way up the first long grade (it ends on a long foothill that's very level) the battery was depleted and I was stuck flooring it to stay at 45mph..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Many factors distinguish them beyond MPG, and with gas so cheap now MPG is less important than it used to be. That said, much depends on where you drive. I live in Vermont, rarely do highway driving, and these days my local travels of 35-50 mph I am averaging over 65 MPG, better I believe than a Prius does for similar driving.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well it's only been a little over a year and 7k miles, but I think enough to compare to our previous generation 2010 Prius (50 combined (51c, 48h) to our 2019 Touring (48 combined, 51c, 45h). In my experience, the current Prius is only slightly improved from the 2010 overall and in regards to fuel economy, so pretty similar in general.

Around the suburbs, the Insight gets better fuel economy, much better if you pay attention to maximizing it. Mid-to-high 50s are relatively easy to achieve and I can exceed 60mph if I'm the only driver, which rarely happens. At expressway speeds of 65-75mph, Insight struggles to get even the EPA ratings while Prius always easily exceeded them. Prius also seemed to be able to exceed EPA estimates even with drivers who didn't pay any attention, while Insight seems more reliant on the driver to help out with anticipation, even in Eco mode. In winter, both seemed to have the same dropoff of around 20% ish.

All in all, I think Prius has the more efficient setup, especially for people who drive it like an ordinary car or just don't want to think about it. If most of your time is on city and suburban roads and you enjoy maximizing fuel economy, Insight is a better choice. Even so, they are both so efficient that the fuel savings for most drivers over a year is going to be pretty negligible either way.

Aside from fuel economy in some scenarios, the Insight is a nicer car in almost every other way. The one major exception is the lower seated height which is a constant source of complaints.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Many factors distinguish them beyond MPG, and with gas so cheap now MPG is less important than it used to be. That said, much depends on where you drive. I live in Vermont, rarely do highway driving, and these days my local travels of 35-50 mph I am averaging over 65 MPG, better I believe than a Prius does for similar driving.
Am having a similar experience here on the Oregon coast. As does Hasarad in rural New Jersey.

I rented a Prius once. The Portland airport closed as a snow storm came in. So I rented the Prius for the 400+ mile drive home. It had that big car feel, which I don't like, so I reaffirmed that Insight is the car for me!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Around the suburbs, the Insight gets better fuel economy, much better if you pay attention to maximizing it. Mid-to-high 50s are relatively easy to achieve .. Insight seems more reliant on the driver to help out with anticipation, even in Eco mode. ..... If most of your time is on city and suburban roads and you enjoy maximizing fuel economy, Insight is a better choice. ......Aside from fuel economy in some scenarios, the Insight is a nicer car in almost every other way. The one major exception is the lower seated height which is a constant source of complaints.
A real good, and I think fair comparison !
The extra weight of the Touring vs the EX may be a factor hurting Insight.
But he key point Is that " Insight seems more reliant on the driver to help out with anticipation" A point which ties in to the fun to drive aspect of the Insight.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For a person that likes to modify things, I think the Prius is much more aftermarket friendly. Plus used parts are easy to find for the Prius. Even after around three years, the Gen 3 Insight still has scarcity in used parts from what I see on my local craigslist and eBay (and I’m in southern CA)..

I actually would’ve had a 2017 Prius but somebody else bought it the day I decided to go in and purchase it. It just so happens that that same Honda dealership was liquidating 2019 models and gave me an excellent deal on my 2019 LX. I think I saved at least $1500-$2000 on this car versus a new Prius.

Besides,the Insight looks way better :)...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts