Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess mine was built on a Tuesday. Everything lines up fine. The only issue I have is with the durability of the paint. I've never had this many stone chips in such a short period of time - and I don't really drive highway!
I had the same thoughts on the chips I have now as well. I try to stay away from rock trucks etc, but it is what it is. My co-worker has a new Tesla model 3 and has paint issues from the factory as well as chips in the front.. He was freaked out about it until I showed him the front of my car.. I love the fact that he had to see my Honda had the same issues to feel better haha..
Knowing now that the Insight's paint is prone to chipping, would either of you recommend anything different earlier on in ownership - e.g. coatings, coverage, etc.? Seeking recos on behalf of those of us who (for now) have fewer miles/chips on our cars... :)

@4star mentioned adding 3M film in this intro thread and @ebsandiego mentions paint protection and ding shield coverage in this 'first scratch' thread.

Honda paint is generally described as "soft" in the paint/body industry, and it seems to be getting thinner/worse and more apparent on newer models like the Insight. I'm wondering if the supplemental coatings or coverages are less optional than in the past, to offset the lower standard of paint quality -?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,457 Posts
Knowing now that the Insight's paint is prone to chipping, would either of you recommend anything different earlier on in ownership - e.g. coatings, coverage, etc.? Seeking recos on behalf of those of us who (for now) have fewer miles/chips on our cars... :)

@4star mentioned adding 3M film in this intro thread and @ebsandiego mentions paint protection and ding shield coverage in this 'first scratch' thread.

Honda paint is generally described as "soft" in the paint/body industry, and it seems to be getting thinner/worse and more apparent on newer models like the Insight. I'm wondering if the supplemental coatings or coverages are less optional than in the past, to offset the lower standard of paint quality -?
I did a ceramic coating early on, but that won't help with stone chips. If I were to do it again, I'd get a clear bra applied. That would be the best sacrificial layer I could think of.

·
Registered
836 Posts

The issue lies in the clear coating, it's environmentally the worst part of all paint, and voc laws/regulations have made clear coats harder (more prone to chipping) and often thinner layers (less spray = less pollution). I was lucky enough to get my degree in auto body during the transition to waterborne paint. Using both products, I can honestly say the color didn't change much in thickness, but using a high voc clear vs a "environmentally conscious" voc clear yields completely different results.

It's actually quite amazing to paint a car with water, and put a high voc clear on, the shine and depth are quite impressive.

Luckily for us, the big paint companies have figured out a better process, than for example during the early 90's when the epa regulations and governmental pressures forced them to re-evaluate the layers and coating processes applied to cars. Unfortunately when changes like this are made, it's the consumer who is duped. We are essentially long-term testing their new process. (I'm sure we all remember the paint-less roofs of many cars in late 90's- early 2000's.

This wasn't a single manufacturer trying to cut costs (and emissions), but instead PPG insisting that a layer of sealant after primer wasn't necessary. Unfortunately this layer was in fact quite necessary for uv protection and better mechanical bonding.

Sorry for the long rant, in summary:

Clear coatings that contain more solids and less "volatile organic compounds" are more environmentally friendly. Unfortunately these harder clears are more prone to chipping than the older VOC formulations. It's a trade off, we want to save our planet, but we haven't figured out a way to do that without sacrificing paint issues.

Reactions: mgldan and andrew28

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue lies in the clear coating, it's environmentally the worst part of all paint, and voc laws/regulations have made clear coats harder (more prone to chipping) and often thinner layers (less spray = less pollution).
[...]
This wasn't a single manufacturer trying to cut costs (and emissions), but instead PPG insisting that a layer of sealant after primer wasn't necessary. Unfortunately this layer was in fact quite necessary for uv protection and better mechanical bonding.
Is there a supplemental/sacrificial coating you'd recommend to offset the current quality of clear coat? Is paint protection film (on hood, fender, side mirrors) effective against rock chips, based on your experience?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is there a supplemental/sacrificial coating you'd recommend to offset the current quality of clear coat? Is paint protection film (on hood, fender, side mirrors) effective against rock chips, based on your experience?
Technically speaking, a clear bra would be the best form of sacrificial layer.

Ceramic coatings are nice for keeping a car clean, and as a chemical protection, but do very little against rocks and solid impacts.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
I did a ceramic coating early on, but that won't help with stone chips. If I were to do it again, I'd get a clear bra applied. That would be the best sacrificial layer I could think of.
I thought about paint protection film for my Insight but the price of installation plus putting it on a Honda seems overkill to me. It hurts when it happens but I'm going to be fine just like with my previous cars. Claying, polishing, and wax should be enough to hide most imperfections.:smile:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I thought about paint protection film for my Insight but the price of installation plus putting it on a Honda seems overkill to me. It hurts when it happens but I'm going to be fine just like with my previous cars. Claying, polishing, and wax should be enough to hide most imperfections.:smile:
Agreed. It'll hurt, but I honestly doubt we are trading it in any time soon, and the xpel cost far outweighs the benefit.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed. It'll hurt, but I honestly doubt we are trading it in any time soon, and the xpel cost far outweighs the benefit.
I plan to own this car a long while as with prior cars, and every imperfection I find stays top of mind for me. The cost of paint protection film would offset the 'mental cost' of anguish/obsession from my perspective. And washing my car would hopefully become a less stressful event, with less dings to be found. :)

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know what the risk is that xpel or other wrap adheres 'too well' to the clearcoat, to the extent that clearcoat can be damaged when the wrap needs to be removed (e.g. body repair)?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
836 Posts
I plan to own this car a long while as with prior cars, and every imperfection I find stays top of mind for me. The cost of paint protection film would offset the 'mental cost' of anguish/obsession from my perspective. And washing my car would hopefully become a less stressful event, with less dings to be found. :)
Younger me, couldn't agree more. Wiser me realizes that as much as I form emotional bonds to cars, they are a depreciating value item. It just simply isn't practical for my situation to invest in a car as more than a means to get to and from places. I'm going to clean it and wash it and take care of it, but it's no Concours level show car. It's meant to be driven and enjoyed.

Most of my friends used to tease me for the amount of time and effort I put into cleaning my car, and I still find it quite therapeutic to clean the Insight, but at the end of the day paint imperfections are like pimples, they are annoying but a fact of life.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm a fan of getting a full hood paint protection film. Many previous cars would get ugly rock chips, scratches or swirl marks in short order. I don't mind so much on bumpers but it's an eyesore to me on the hood;-) Even with touch up paint, sometimes they would still rust. At least the Aluminum hood on the Insight should help mitigate that issue.

My Highlander Hybrid was the first to get PPF and hood looked brand new for almost 8 years right up until it had to have a new hood due to a fender bender last year. I just had a full hood only with wrapped edges done on my Insight. Suntek Ultra film by the same certified installer from 8 years ago. $375. He did a great job- shout out to Rob @ Design Shielding if you are in the Chicago area. 3M Pro series and Xpel Ultimate are the other premium clear bra films with 10 year warranties.

I never needed to remove it but it does sound like that's well above my paygrade. I'd definitely let a pro handle that if ever needed. The new films resist and "heal" small scratches better than before at least.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a fan of getting a full hood paint protection film. Many previous cars would get ugly rock chips, scratches or swirl marks in short order. I don't mind so much on bumpers but it's an eyesore to me on the hood;-) Even with touch up paint, sometimes they would still rust. At least the Aluminum hood on the Insight should help mitigate that issue.
For hood maintenance with the PPF, is 'regular' waxing sufficient or do you need to add/apply something else? It looks like the film can crack/age over time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For hood maintenance with the PPF, is 'regular' waxing sufficient or do you need to add/apply something else? It looks like the film can crack/age over time.
I never did anything to mine other than Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax if I had the time to wax the whole thing which was rare in recent years. Definitely nothing special is required. The product FAQs usually state that you can use a wax or ceramic coating over the film if you want. I think XPEL says not to use anything with certain petroleum distillates in it, and of course they suggest their own product. I didn't have any issue with yellowing, cracking or aging, though I'm sure it's possible with cheaper films or if your car is in the elements 24/7 or something.

This time around I'm going to try IGL Ecocoat Premier spray on coating and see how it goes. I used it on the rest of the car but was advised to wait at least a few days before applying anything to the new film.

From Suntek:
Can I wax SunTek Paint Protection Film Matte?
Some waxes will add a level of gloss to PPFMatte. However, there are waxes on the market specifically for matte finishes. Waxing is still recommended for added protection.

Can “coatings” be applied to SunTek Paint Protection Film?
Ceramic coatings are approved for use with our Paint Protection Films when applied over the surface of the product. Ceramic coatings create an additional barrier for solvent and water penetration while not negatively impacting the performance or self-healing of our Paint Protection Film. This application will not void your warranty.

From 3M Pro Series:
Maintenance Free: Scotchgard Pro Series film does not require any special maintenance to keep it looking great. You can wash and wax your car as you would normally

·
Registered
131 Posts
I never needed to remove it but it does sound like that's well above my paygrade. I'd definitely let a pro handle that if ever needed. The new films resist and "heal" small scratches better than before at least.
I had the unfortunate experience of having to have the film removed. The installer basically peeled it up very slowly in small sections at about a 45 degree angle, spraying water or lubricant as he proceeded. The adhesion looked pretty strong, but there was zero damage to the paint.

I had a couple bubbles appear under the film each a few mm in diameter and white so they caught your eye. He thought it might be just dust or something and it was close enough to an edge where he tried to lift the film to clean it but it clearly was not dust and he thought it might be a paint defect. More likely, the hood took a hit from a rocks or something that actually punctured it in two spots right next to each other. At first I thought it might be possible it had previously been touched up at the dealer and the film lifted off the touch up area since the bubbles appeared the first time it sat out in the sun all day. That was probably just coincidental and seems unlikely now.

The damage to the paint was nearly nothing, one tiny pit smaller than a pinhead and a tiny scratch less than 1mm long. I used a little very fine polish and touched up the pit with a tiny bit of touch up paint on a toothpick and they were no longer visible unless you knew exactly where to look in the right reflection of light.

The installer came back yesterday and re-applied new film and gave me a nice discount. Looks great again so far. On the plus side, it probably saved the hood from a large chip. On the minus side, it was enough that the film had to be replaced at cost. I considered not bothering with the film again, but maybe I won't get unlucky with the same thing happening so soon. Or I'll just live with a tiny bubble or scrape if it is damaged like again and leave the film on to protect against swirl marks or worse damage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What have other insight owners done to protect the paint on your car? Especially protection from bugs and rock chips on the front bumper and hood?

I'm looking at options including a clear bra and ceramic coatings. My biggest concern is that these are expensive!

Any suggestions on what may have worked for you?

·
Registered
157 Posts
My car is white so I'm not too concerned about dings and stuff since it won't likely show. I just use a spray on ceramic wax. Turtle wax makes a decent product. I've been happy with the results thus far. Basically just use it every was. Few sprays when drying each panel and it's done. Super easy. Beads water like crazy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts