Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this happen on the weekend... apparently the trim plastic doesn't like -40 C.

Anyone know if I can just replace the broken plastic trim vs a full mirror assembly replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
It looks like that side mirror needs to be replaced by the looks of it. Does the camera still work and the power mirror? If so, you could possible get away with just replacing the shell. And if that is the case, maybe try some tow yard or pick-n-pull place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like that side mirror needs to be replaced by the looks of it. Does the camera still work and the power mirror? If so, you could possible get away with just replacing the shell. And if that is the case, maybe try some tow yard or pick-n-pull place.
Everything still works fine. A replacement is $900 CDN

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Did it spontaneously break/collapse (e.g. broke off when the door was opened/closed), or was it brittle and broke off with contact?

I think the following is the right part number for the passenger (R) side mirror "housing" (different for LX/EX vs Touring). It has more components than you need (i.e. rear connecting assembly) but sells for <$40 USD on online Honda OEM parts stores.
Does the $900 CDN price include installation for the side mirror "full assembly"? If the part number for the full passenger (R) side assembly (without wiring) are as listed below, it sells for <$400 USD on same online Honda OEM parts stores.
There's a video for EX like-for-like replacement in the Touring side mirrors to EX thread, which might be helpful visual reference if you choose to DIY to repair the housing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did it spontaneously break/collapse (e.g. broke off when the door was opened/closed), or was it brittle and broke off with contact?

Does the $900 CDN price include installation for the side mirror "full assembly"? If the part number for the full passenger (R) side assembly (without wiring) are as listed below, it sells for <$400 USD on same online Honda OEM parts stores.
It was hit. The mirror was bent forward towards the hood.

$900 is the supply only parts price. They want extra the install and having to recalibrate the camera. It appears cosmetic as the camera and mirror motor are still functional.

I'm tempted to leave it as is until I sell it off. I'm not crazy about making an insurance claim for the mirror either. I'm curious how inexpensive it would be without the camera and the turn signal

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
$900 is the supply only parts price. They want extra the install and having to recalibrate the camera. It appears cosmetic as the camera and mirror motor are still functional.
The parts price seems really high (double?). If you consider replacing it before selling, would definitely be cheaper to buy the part yourself ($400) or just the housing ($40). If you end up considering DIY, some forum members also shared experience on aiming/calibrating LaneWatch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The parts price seems really high (double?). If you consider replacing it before selling, would definitely be cheaper to buy the part yourself ($400) or just the housing ($40). If you end up considering DIY, some forum members also shared experience on aiming/calibrating LaneWatch.
Welcome to Canada. I'm tempted to just order the 2 parts I need thru the website you provided. As far as I can tell its cosmetic only.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome to Canada. I'm tempted to just order the 2 parts I need thru the website you provided. As far as I can tell its cosmetic only.

View attachment 6375
According to the photo of the mirror damage, the specified parts should be enough. It may be best to look for these parts in Canada. Shipping and taxes may be less.

Тhere is also such a site from the USA Buy Honda OEM Parts & Accessories | Jim White Honda Parts
They do not have shipping to Canada, but they are near Detroit and maybe if you contact them, they will send the order.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It was hit. The mirror was bent forward towards the hood.

I'm tempted to leave it as is until I sell it off. I'm not crazy about making an insurance claim for the mirror either. I'm curious how inexpensive it would be without the camera and the turn signal
well, now that makes sense that someone whacked the mirror as opposed to original post saying cold weather....almost had me thinking how the hell did cold weather do that. I even thought, no way, some one hit with something LOL

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, now that makes sense that someone whacked the mirror as opposed to original post saying cold weather....almost had me thinking how the hell did cold weather do that. I even thought, no way, some one hit with something LOL
I just meant the cold weather likely caused it to shatter so badly when it happened. Not that cold weather was the cause. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,532 Posts
Not sure, but does the Insight share the same mirror with the Gen X Civic? If so, a wrecking yard may be the answer to lower the cost.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure, but does the Insight share the same mirror with the Gen X Civic? If so, a wrecking yard may be the answer to lower the cost.
I was thinking that as well, if the parts I ordered end up not working out

·
Registered
278 Posts
Unfortunately I parked too close to my garage door and did a similar boo boo. It only cracked the shell a bit. Didn't even consider going into the shop for it. Works fine, though one can
see a bit of the cowling missing. Not nearly as bad as yours looks.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Unfortunately I parked too close to my garage door and did a similar boo boo. It only cracked the shell a bit. Didn't even consider going into the shop for it. Works fine, though one can see a bit of the cowling missing. Not nearly as bad as yours looks.
Ugh, not fun. I rely on my parking sensors daily to help gauge distance to side of garage; it's saved me quite a few times. Sounds like it's the "skull cap" that got damaged (?).

If you end up wanting to replace it, the R side skull cap part number is 76201-TBA-A11ZE (part #4 in the image below) and the color code for Orchid White Pearl is NH788P. It sells for ~$30 on OEM parts sites, and the part number is shared with the GenX Civic.

If you can find one from a scrapped Civic or on eBay listing, they can run even less (~$15) if you can find the right color match (i.e. 2020 model year and later are Platinum White vs Orchid White Pearl).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Okay, for the touring, as mentioned before, the part number is 76205-TXM-A21. And understand, the prices are dealer MSRPs. You can get them for much less from other web sites.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
171 Posts
Another possible source for parts I've noticed is auto glass shops. The shop I go to in Chicago does my tinting but also has a wall full of salvage side mirrors, in addition to auto glass.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My parts showed up today. It's definitely what I need and I'm hoping to swap them out on the weekend. I'll take as many pics as I can. Looking at the parts it should be some simple screws to swap out

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts