Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Following. The low passenger sear has been one of my biggest Insight complaints. I'll have to test and see if 1.5" rise is enough to help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone ever had any experience with a rise kit like this? It seems like a simple solution to the low passenger seat.
SRAUTOSHOP.COM
I just received that very kit. I ordered the one for the Honda Civic which should be the same. I even checked the part number for the mount bolts with the dealer to confirm. Now I just need a reasonably warm day to install it. It is currently -8 degrees Celsius but feels like -16 with the wind chill. That is 3.2 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything near 0 Celsius will fine. I will get back with pictures and impressions once I get it done.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just received that very kit. I ordered the one for the Honda Civic which should be the same. I even checked the part number for the mount bolts with the dealer to confirm. Now I just need a reasonably warm day to install it. It is currently -8 degrees Celsius but feels like -16 with the wind chill. That is 3.2 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything near 0 Celsius will fine. I will get back with pictures and impressions once I get it done.
I’m very interested in hearing how the installation goes for you! I was trying to find a way to compare the Civic mounting to the Insight, but without much success.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To: Mr Natural
I had a 2016 Civic with low pass. seat position. The dealer said the seat position is per design in that the air bag takes precedence in locating seat position. He said if you're safety conscience , don't screw around with the seat. When it blows you want the seat to be in an optimum position so it won't blow love ones head off. I'm not touching my Touring seat. Folks, be careful. Sometimes when one makes a modification it creates other issues. In this case , it's a safety issue.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t want to diss your dealer, but I don’t believe they know much more about these cars than we do. I know the person who was supposed to be showing me the features of my Insight when I purchased it was wrong about several things he told us. But back to the risers....
If 1 1/2 inches in additional height is detrimental to safety then why do they have height adjustment on the drivers side? And would a passenger 1 1/2 inches taller than me be less safe than I am in the passenger seat? I don’t think so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mr Natural:
Safety engineering dictates positioning of anything associated with safety. If Honda wanted owners to change seat positions they would offer after market kits. They don't , why? Also, if anyone installs after market accessories and years later you try to trade your car and have to fill out cars history, like flood, wreck and any mods installed, then most dealers make you remove a mod, or go sale your car to "Joes car lot". Years ago I had to remove a modification before trading.
I suggest that you contact Honda Engineering and get their input.
I agree about sales people. When I took delivery I asked where is the 12 volt battery located? He said, dummy , under the hood where it has been for years. I said, lets look. He said , I don't know , this is weird. His boss came over and said it is a sealed unit located under where the old shift lever was. I knew where it was as I have 80 pages of design criteria on the insight. I corrected this boss and said the battery is not a sealed unit and has a vent tube going overboard , to prevent getting gassed.
Other Tid Bits- Did you know your elec. motors have square instead if round wiring. The touring has 4 fluid filled compliance bushing, front and rear, a rarity within the Insights competitive set. The LX and EX has only front 2 fluid filled bushings . The front stabilizer bar is larger on Touring than on others. Have a good day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe there are a number of higher end car models that have height adjustable passenger seats. Have a look at the VW Tiguan.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are lots of cars out there that have height adjustment for the passenger. I looked at a Fusion Hybrid that had power passenger seats that were fully adjustable, including lumbar. Honda doesn’t offer the passenger height adjustment on any of their models. Also, as far as mods go, as long as your car still is meeting the legal requirements sale should not be an issue. I also own a Jeep Wrangler, probably the most mod friendly vehicle available, and there are certainly unsafe mods available for them. Things like lift kits that raise the Jeep up several inches. But those make the bumper height illegal in many states. Same with wide tires that extend beyond the fenders. Illegal where I live. But a 1 1/2 inch seat lift...when the drivers side can already go that high...doesnt fit that catergory. I worked in manufacturing for forty years, many in the autmotive industry. I spent several years as a quality assurance manager. In my opinion engineers are tasked with meeting safety standards in the least costly way possible. Innovations in safety are driven by the insurance companies, not the auto manufacturers.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr Natural:
Safety engineering dictates positioning of anything associated with safety. If Honda wanted owners to change seat positions they would offer after market kits. They don't , why? Also, if anyone installs after market accessories and years later you try to trade your car and have to fill out cars history, like flood, wreck and any mods installed, then most dealers make you remove a mod, or go sale your car to "Joes car lot". Years ago I had to remove a modification before trading.
I suggest that you contact Honda Engineering and get their input.
I agree about sales people. When I took delivery I asked where is the 12 volt battery located? He said, dummy , under the hood where it has been for years. I said, lets look. He said , I don't know , this is weird. His boss came over and said it is a sealed unit located under where the old shift lever was. I knew where it was as I have 80 pages of design criteria on the insight. I corrected this boss and said the battery is not a sealed unit and has a vent tube going overboard , to prevent getting gassed.
Other Tid Bits- Did you know your elec. motors have square instead if round wiring. The touring has 4 fluid filled compliance bushing, front and rear, a rarity within the Insights competitive set. The LX and EX has only front 2 fluid filled bushings . The front stabilizer bar is larger on Touring than on others. Have a good day.
I contacted Honda as you suggested and here is their response. No surprise that they don’t recommend any modifications.

“Thank you for your response with the additional requested information. As the manufacturer we don't recommend any modifications such as the seat lift kit as it can void future warranty repairs. We recommend having the seat evaluated by the Service Department at your preferred Honda dealership to ensure the seat is within manufacturing specifications. If the dealership were to find the seat was to be within specifications we can only document a formal complaint on your behalf for this issue.”

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I contacted Honda as you suggested and here is their response. No surprise that they don’t recommend any modifications.

“Thank you for your response with the additional requested information. As the manufacturer we don't recommend any modifications such as the seat lift kit as it can void future warranty repairs. We recommend having the seat evaluated by the Service Department at your preferred Honda dealership to ensure the seat is within manufacturing specifications. If the dealership were to find the seat was to be within specifications we can only document a formal complaint on your behalf for this issue.”
Void warranty repairs? What, like if you put in seat risers they will void an engine failure? No, that's not how it works. Sorry, I don't really think there will be a warranty repair on the passenger seat. Is there was, you can pull the risers and then bring it in for the claim.

They're covering their butt - as they should. If they gave you this response in person, they'd probably wink at you. They covered themselves as far as the law allows. Go for the risers if you want them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree completely. My understanding of the law is that they would have need to show proof that a modification caused the failure to void a warranty claim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has Anyone Installed Them?

If anyone has installed the risers, could you please report back the difficulty of the installation and the effect that it has had? Was it worth the time and cost?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
Seat Risers

I ordered the 2017 Civic seat risers for my 2019 Insight EX. They arrived this week, and I was able to install them today. They fit fine, but there is a caveat. You'll need a T47 Torx bit to get the Insight's fasteners loose. Harbor Freight has them. If you have a breaker bar, it will help since the installed bolts are really tight. The SRAUTOSHOP risers ( http://www.srautoshop.co ) add the expected 1.5" rise to the passenger seat. The downside is that you'll see the body color (due to the rise) if seated in the back seat. All-in-all, by 11yo daughter loves the new set-up. Unless you're siting in the back seat with the front seat forward, I doubt you'd notice the rise in the seat. The only pain the the ass was the need to acquire a T47 bit along with a 24" breaker bar to get things loose (#harborfreight). The 2017 Civic set fits the Insight just fine. The setup only includes rear risers, but that's all that's required per SRAUTOSHOP.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
Seat Risers

I ordered the 2017 Civic seat risers from SRAUTOSHOP.COM since the Insight is very similar. While they fit well, there are a few caveats you should know about if you attempt to install them in your own Insight.

1. The Insight uses T47 Torx bolts and not standard hex bolts. Make sure you have a T47 bit and a breaker bar before starting. Harbor Freight is a good place to acquire both of these items.
2. The risers will jack up only the rear of the seat. This is fine and feels normal. Just want you to know this.
3. Once installed, you'll be able to see the under-body color beneath the seat risers. I have a white Insight with black carpet, so this is noticeable. I'll do something to mask this when the weather warms a bit.
4. Pay close attention when installing the new, included bolts. There is a line in the instructions to make sure they are not cross-threaded. Since my Insight was likely made on a Monday, the factory bolts in the rear were (surprise!) cross-threaded. It took me a half-hour of tap-and-die to fix it.

In all, I'm happy with the results. My wife, daughter and mom all agree that the passenger seat is much more comfortable now, and the view is much improved.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered the 2017 Civic seat risers from SRAUTOSHOP.COM since the Insight is very similar. While they fit well, there are a few caveats you should know about if you attempt to install them in your own Insight.

1. The Insight uses T47 Torx bolts and not standard hex bolts. Make sure you have a T47 bit and a breaker bar before starting. Harbor Freight is a good place to acquire both of these items.
2. The risers will jack up only the rear of the seat. This is fine and feels normal. Just want you to know this.
3. Once installed, you'll be able to see the under-body color beneath the seat risers. I have a white Insight with black carpet, so this is noticeable. I'll do something to mask this when the weather warms a bit.
4. Pay close attention when installing the new, included bolts. There is a line in the instructions to make sure they are not cross-threaded. Since my Insight was likely made on a Monday, the factory bolts in the rear were (surprise!) cross-threaded. It took me a half-hour of tap-and-die to fix it.

In all, I'm happy with the results. My wife, daughter and mom all agree that the passenger seat is much more comfortable now, and the view is much improved.
Does having only rear risers cause the seat to tilt forward? That’s been my only concern about ordering them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts