Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
I bought and installed seat risers in my Insight. No more complaints from the family about the low passenger seat.
Hasarad, can you share any tips on your installation experience with the passenger seat seat risers? Also, do you have a link to purchase them? I think I need to install them myself as I plan to do an 8 hour road trip to take my 86 year old father to his 65th college reunion in NH. His knees aren't what they used to be and getting in and out of the passenger seat would be much easier if the seat was higher. Thanks!

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
Hasarad, can you share any tips on your installation experience with the passenger seat seat risers? Also, do you have a link to purchase them? I think I need to install them myself as I plan to do an 8 hour road trip to take my 86 year old father to his 65th college reunion in NH. His knees aren't what they used to be and getting in and out of the passenger seat would be much easier if the seat was higher. Thanks!
Here is where I bought the risers:

http://www.srautoshop.com/

The 2014-2017 Civic kit fits the Insight. The kit contains only rear risers, but that is all that is needed. You'll need a T50 socket (visit Harbor Freight for a cheap Torx set) and a long ratchet for leverage. The factory bolts in my car came out with a little effort, but one of them was cross-threaded from the factory. I needed a tap-and-die kit to fix it before installing the risers. Installation is simple:

1. Loosen, but to not remove, the front seat track bolts.
2. Remove rear seat bolts.
3. Slip risers under rear of the seat tracks (line up holes).
4. Install the longer bolts that came with the kit top secure the rear of the seat tracks.
5. Tighten front seat track bolts.

There is a warning in the installation instructions with step four - be sure not to cross thread the bolts (like they did at the factory).

As for the result, front seat visibility is much better for the wife and kids. I have high-wall mats in a white Insight in the back, so you will see a little of the white paint since the track is now lifted from a floor a bit. When sping gets here, I'll put a few minutes into putting a piece of black rubber under the riser and track. Had I known at the time, I would have done it at installation time to save a few minutes later.

Cost-wise, I'm not sure it's worth the $60 as it's only two metal blocks and two bolts. What's done is done, and I'm happy with the result.

· Premium Member
4,843 Posts
These prior threads, including posts from hasarad may also help in your search for seat risers:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7...l-discussion/554-passenger-seat-risers-2.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/678-seat-risers.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/700-seat-risers.html

Also as Mr. Natural pointed out in a separate thread, now that the Japanese Insight is out (with the driver's seat on the opposite side of US), if we can get hold of those parts, we could swap out the US passenger seat with OEM assembly for seat height.

· Registered
1 Posts
The risers raise the back end of the seat rail 1 1/2 inches. You must use a Torx T45 socket to loosen and extract the seat bolts. Do not use the flat washer that SRAUTOSHOP supplies as it raises the height of the bolt heads above the bottom of the seat rail U-channel and causes the seat not to fully retract. This accessory really improves the passenger's comfort and visibility.

· Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
The risers raise the back end of the seat rail 1 1/2 inches. You must use a Torx T45 socket to loosen and extract the seat bolts. Do not use the flat washer that SRAUTOSHOP supplies as it raises the height of the bolt heads above the bottom of the seat rail U-channel and causes the seat not to fully retract. This accessory really improves the passenger's comfort and visibility.
I did not have the issue with seat retraction using the supplied materials. Perhaps they changed things since I bought mine?

· Registered
147 Posts
I ordered the 2017 Civic seat risers from SRAUTOSHOP.COM since the Insight is very similar. While they fit well, there are a few caveats you should know about if you attempt to install them in your own Insight.

1. The Insight uses T47 Torx bolts and not standard hex bolts. Make sure you have a T47 bit and a breaker bar before starting. Harbor Freight is a good place to acquire both of these items.
2. The risers will jack up only the rear of the seat. This is fine and feels normal. Just want you to know this.
3. Once installed, you'll be able to see the under-body color beneath the seat risers. I have a white Insight with black carpet, so this is noticeable. I'll do something to mask this when the weather warms a bit.
4. Pay close attention when installing the new, included bolts. There is a line in the instructions to make sure they are not cross-threaded. Since my Insight was likely made on a Monday, the factory bolts in the rear were (surprise!) cross-threaded. It took me a half-hour of tap-and-die to fix it.

In all, I'm happy with the results. My wife, daughter and mom all agree that the passenger seat is much more comfortable now, and the view is much improved.
hasarad, I went to SRAUTOSHOP.COM and the only kit I see listed for Honda Civic is 2014-2019. You mentioned you ordered the 2017 seat risers. The only option is to SELECT BUY NOW and it took me directly to the payment section. Since I didn't see an option to select 2017 Civic I didn't want to proceed further. Am I to assume what they're showing as 2014-2019 is simply all inclusive and you did not specifically order a 2017?

· Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
hasarad, I went to SRAUTOSHOP.COM and the only kit I see listed for Honda Civic is 2014-2019. You mentioned you ordered the 2017 seat risers. The only option is to SELECT BUY NOW and it took me directly to the payment section. Since I didn't see an option to select 2017 Civic I didn't want to proceed further. Am I to assume what they're showing as 2014-2019 is simply all inclusive and you did not specifically order a 2017?
Correct. At the time, the Civic years offered only went up to 2017.

· Registered
95 Posts
The Executive Wedge Cushion option

Can I please take a moment to recommend one of the finest executive cushions made in the world. It is a seat wedge sold directly out of Canada (and also through the popular ergonomic outlet/ stores "Relax the Back"). It raises the seat proportionally...4 3/4 inch in the rear and less so closer to the front. I own two of them and use one in the drivers seat (I am only 5 feet 6 inch tall) and one in the passengers seat when I do have a passenger. That passenger seat is sooooo low...

https://www.lifeformchairs.com/wedge-seat-cushion-3/

· Registered
156 Posts
SRAUTOSHOP.COM lists the Honda Civic 2014-2019 for their risers now. Got mine in the mail last week and will be installing them this weekend. Will add pictures soon to this thread.

· Registered
147 Posts
Can I please take a moment to recommend one of the finest executive cushions made in the world. It is a seat wedge sold directly out of Canada (and also through the popular ergonomic outlet/ stores "Relax the Back"). It raises the seat proportionally...4 3/4 inch in the rear and less so closer to the front. I own two of them and use one in the drivers seat (I am only 5 feet 6 inch tall) and one in the passengers seat when I do have a passenger. That passenger seat is sooooo low...

https://www.lifeformchairs.com/wedge-seat-cushion-3/
I'm 5'6" myself and have to raise the seat about 25 pulls. I'm assuming with the cushion your seat is adjusted to the bottom? - Thanks for the info and link. We have a Relax the Back store here in the SF Bay Area so I'll stop by the store and check it out! I ordered the Seat Riser for the passenger side already.

· Registered
9 Posts
+Cembalo

No flat washer. The extra mm's make all the difference. Perhaps the T45 works but i used a T50 as per SRAUTOSHOP instructions. What i discovered re cross-threading is that you have 4 points of contact that are loosened. When i got one of the rear bolts in place, that does not mean the other rear bolt will drop in correctly. You need to maneuver the other rail so the bolt will align. But others already knew that - takes me going down several blind alleys before i get it right.

Highly recommend the SRAUTOSHOP solution.

· Registered
60 Posts
With the stay at home order in place I've had time to put in the SR Autoshops seat risers. They went in easy enough. Even though I have a full set of Torx bits, mine only went up to T40, needed a T50. Picked one up from Home Depot for less than $3. As you can see from the pictures, the right side rear bolt sits lower than the left side. I noticed this right at the beginning with the original bolts in place. I had to remove the flat washer from the left side rear so that the seat would get its full travel. Seat does sit a little better than before, only time and a long trip will tell if it is worth the money. Also seems like the vendor could include the T50 torx bit with the price of the set.

Right side

Left side 2 washers

Left side 1 washer

· Registered
147 Posts
With the stay at home order in place I've had time to put in the SR Autoshops seat risers. They went in easy enough. Even though I have a full set of Torx bits, mine only went up to T40, needed a T50. Picked one up from Home Depot for less than $3. As you can see from the pictures, the right side rear bolt sits lower than the left side. I noticed this right at the beginning with the original bolts in place. I had to remove the flat washer from the left side rear so that the seat would get its full travel. Seat does sit a little better than before, only time and a long trip will tell if it is worth the money. Also seems like the vendor could include the T50 torx bit with the price of the set.

Right side
View attachment 5109

Left side 2 washers
View attachment 5110

Left side 1 washer View attachment 5111
How many ft/lbs did you torque the bolts down to?

· Registered
147 Posts
When I did mine, I think it was two or three ugga-duggas.
When I installed my risers it was before I inquired on this forum about the torque settings used. What I did to check what the bolts were originally torqued at was incrementally using the settings on my torque to check how tight they were before removal. What I found was that they were actually all different and ranged from 25-30 ft/lbs in the front and 20-35 ft/lbs in the rear. What I did notice however is when the riser was placed under the rail, the rail did not seat flush to the riser. With only the rear raised there happened to be a 10-15 degree gap between the rail and the riser at the most rear. If the bolt was NOT snugged down enough the gap would remain. I found that it took about 35 ft/lbs for the rails to seat flush, however it essentially crushed the riser as shown. A better solution would have been a triangular type riser to compensate for the angle. The photo is a side view where the opening is side to side, not front to rear. I also had no issues using the provided washers - the seat slides fully rearward.

The 1-1/2 height difference makes more of a differnce than one would think. The wifey loves it. She doesn't feel like she's sitting on the floor now. Happy Wife, Happy Life!

· Registered
60 Posts
I have removed these risers now. The way it tilted the seat forward was more uncomfortable to us than the original seating. Ideally I would like to either raise both front and back or just the front. The risers won't work in the front because of the geometry - the front mounts are angled. So if anyone would like to purchase these with the original hardware and all, I've posted them for sale here.

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
I'm curious if the low passenger seat height is done for air bag deployment or other safety reasons. If you google search "low passenger seat" you can see other cars like Accord, Corolla, Santa Fe, Sonata, Optima, Forester etc have the same problem.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts