Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Premium Member
4,843 Posts
I'm curious if the low passenger seat height is done for air bag deployment or other safety reasons. If you google search "low passenger seat" you can see other cars like Accord, Corolla, Santa Fe, Sonata, Optima, Forester etc have the same problem.
...there's some earlier debate on that in posts 5-10 of this thread. :) Honda's 'official' message is that modifications aren't recommended.

· Registered
31 Posts
I installed the SRAUTOSHOP.COM risers today. It was not easy. Getting the bolts loosened and removed was not a problem with a T50 socket and 18" breaker bar. Then the problems started.

The left side riser bolt interfered with the power seat movement unless I took the lock washer out. I could not get the right side bolt tight due to interference between the seat rail and the socket wrench. That side has a seat frame piece that the bolt passes through before it seats on the actual rail below. It would have worked fine with a Torx bolt, but not a hex head. After searching for and not finding a T50 Torx bolt long enough to work I finally used my Drimel tool to grind off about 1/8" non-structural steel off the back side of that pass-through hole so that the socket would get past the obstruction. I even tried taking the front bolts out. I got both rear bolts in, but then the right front frame hole did not line up properly.

Working through all of this took about 3 hours.

Now I'm wondering if I want to do the driver's side. There is 2" of vertical travel there. With the seat all the way up the 5' 4" wife is not happy. All the way up it is just high enough for my 5'8 height. All the way down a 6' person should be happy.

Anybody tried the driver's side yet???

· Registered
31 Posts
Nice... was it easier/faster installing after the first attempt on passenger side? Any interference with the driver's side powered seat controls on your Touring?
I did not actually bolt the risers in on the driver's side. The driver's seat rails are a mirror image of the passenger side so it should work. If a hex bolt head gets in the way of front-back adjustment Grainger has a Torx-head bolt the same specs as the hex head supplied with the kit. Absent bolting the risers in the 8-way seat works fine. With adjustable angles on both the back and the seat's bottom it's very comfortable. With the seat all the way down I'm about where I was with it all the way up before the risers. The wife loves it. She can actually see over the hood with the risers in.

The real question is why did Honda not consider the vertically-challenged in this seat design? After all, it is a Japanese company!

· Premium Member
4,843 Posts
The real question is why did Honda not consider the vertically-challenged in this seat design? After all, it is a Japanese company!
A 'quick' answer always comes down to cost. But overall, the Insight for the Japanese market has different (better) features than those deployed for the US market. As one of those differences, the Japanese model gets powered driver and passenger seats on EX trim (MSRP equiv = $32.7k) and higher, while the US model only gets drivers side on Touring trim (MSRP $30.0k), even though all global Insights are assembled at the same single plant in Indiana.

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
@insightfully - Funny that this thread came alive again. This topic came up while driving yesterday.

The height gain is around an inch, but it's noticeable. This is the only mod I have made to my 2019 Insight that I have not done on my 2021. My daughter brought up the fact she sits so low in the passenger seat. I guess I'll get around to this one soon. The sad part is the cost of this kit. It's only two metal blocks and two bolts! I guess when you're the only game in town to can get away with it.

· Premium Member
4,843 Posts
The height gain is around an inch, but it's noticeable. This is the only mod I have made to my 2019 Insight that I have not done on my 2021. My daughter brought up the fact she sits so low in the passenger seat. I guess I'll get around to this one soon. The sad part is the cost of this kit. It's only two metal blocks and two bolts! I guess when you're the only game in town to can get away with it.
Impressive that it's so noticeable a difference. (Kinda makes me think of Goldilocks or the Princess & the Pea stories, ha.) If you're looking to purchase, I'll make a quick plug on behalf of @ScottyWM who removed a passenger seat riser and has it listed for sale in the forum at a slight discount currently.

· Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
I bit the bullet and ordered a set for my 2021. The set arrived today. I'll get to installing it once Ida blows through - probably this weekend. My daughter's dance classes start back up in a couple weeks. She's noted the difference between my last Insight and the new one with respect to seat height, Gotta be comfy!

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
After all these years, I finally know why Honda designed the front passenger seat so low. Apparently it's to influence a lower center of gravity. At least that's the reason given from Toyota when explaining why they lowered the front passenger seat in the new 2023 Prius, too.

· Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Wow. A whole 1" makes that much of a difference with respect to CoG?

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
Wow. A whole 1" makes that much of a difference with respect to CoG?
Another reason I read was for safety. The coupe roof design along with sunroof in some models reduces headroom. The more space between your head and the roof the better. Seat belts don't always hold a person securely especially in a roll over. Plus a better chance at survival if something falls and crushes your roof.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts