Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where the passenger airbag deploys from? Is it from the dashboard where you see the SRS airbag logo?

I ask because I have a metal car model on my dash close to that area (Above center right AC vent) and I’m thinking about removing it or at least changing its location.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The passenger side airbag does deploy from the flat top section of the dash, to the left of the airbag symbol stamped in the dash. It would be in your and a passenger's best interest to remove the little metal car from that area! In fact, nothing should be sitting on top of the dash that could,be come a projectile in case of a deployment.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried pulling the car off and it’s stuck on there .. double sided tape is strong ..

I think if there was an accident, that thing wouldn’t go anywhere..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't count on it staying put! If the passenger airbag deploys, I believe what happens is the top of the dash actually splits open when the charge deploys the airbag.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thing I caught this before anything bad happened. I’m thinking about relocating the car and a little piano figurine I have to the rest right behind the cupholders..But that’s kind of risky because the double-sided tape there doesnt stick as hard on that surface as it does the dash..I don’t want anything flying around just in case of an accident.

ah well..

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I was going to post same video as andrew28. :) The close-up shots to watch the passenger side activation are between 2:36 to 4:10. Snapshot from video is below.

Agree with @LowRider that even if the car 'seems' attached to your dash, the airbag inflation force will displace it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually looking at that video , I could probably relocate the car to the left-center side of dash above left-center AC vent.. I really had to use some muscle just to rip the car off.. in theory , it would seem the car would stay put as that side of dash is unaffected in a frontal crash..

but Im not going to risk it..

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Definitely better to be safe than sorry! But it looks like the car was far enough to the left that the door openings would clear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a former collision reconstructionist, I highly recommend having zero interior items in or around your dash. Those pieces will come flying off at whatever speed your travelling and can do some serious damage.

I've tried for years to convince my wife to stop putting her feet up on the dash as well, but what do I know. This video changed her tune awfully quick:

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I've tried for years to convince my wife to stop putting her feet up on the dash as well, but what do I know. This video changed her tune awfully quick:
Here are a couple other videos with built-in slo-mo repeats. With airbags deploying at an equivalent force of 200+ mph in 20-30 milliseconds, there isn't much option to react.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As a former collision reconstructionist, I highly recommend having zero interior items in or around your dash. Those pieces will come flying off at whatever speed your travelling and can do some serious damage.

I'm in full agreement with you! My background is 25 years combo body/frame/paint tech and 20 years insurance auto damage appraiser.

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
Here in NJ, it's technically illegal to have anything on your dash (obstruction of view). Even a little dream catcher hanging on your mirror is ticket-able. In the end, they're reasonable. No one gets busted for a dashcam or phone holder. My dashcam is bolted to the mirror, so, if it goes anywhere, it will need to take the mirror with it. I wouldn't chance it with stuff stuck to the dash with adhesive or velcro though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts