Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I finally have a problem I think I am going to have to have the dealer resolve.. I have an extended warranty, but I want to see if you guys have any suggestions before I take it in. The passenger side window has a hard time rolling up when it is cooler outside (literally any time it's below 70). It will actually activate the emergency stop and roll the window back down.. When it is warm out - it rolls up normally. Any suggestions would be great! Car was built in Jan 19 and bought same month. Has 55,000 on it now. Has lived in Florida all it's life (humid yuck weather).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why bother tinkering with it when you have the warranty. Just make the appointment and let them fix it. You may need a new motor I don't know, but I know if the motor does need to be replaced it is expensive like $400 not counting the labor....just my opinion, but you decide whats comfortable for you.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Does this happen on any other doors/windows (i.e. overall signal related) or just the passenger one? That it activates the emergency stop makes me think there's something related to that trigger.

I'd head to the dealer as well if it were me... but this dealer site also offers some suggestions you could check in advance:
  • Find Out if the Problem is in the Motor by checking amps/volts.
  • Find Out if the Problem is in the Wiring by the thick rubber grommet attached from the door to car body. If the window begins to close as you maneuver the wire harness, you’ll know that a wire is broken or kinked and will need to be repaired.
  • A wire switch can be broken due to the copper contact pads and paddles getting burned from sparking at the contacts.
  • If the problem doesn’t lie in the wiring, the motor could be the culprit.
  • If the motor is running but the window won’t budge, then you might have a problem with the window track. (This doesn't sound like it applies to your situation, but including for completeness.)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motor is fine.. I will try to get a video of it tomorrow for all to see.. :) It's now too warm for it to work any differently than the drivers side window. I am 99% certain it's mechanical though.. Everything tightens up when they are colder...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had a similar experience. Built 12/19, purchased 1/20. Since day one the drivers window would reverse 1 inch from the top, the motor would slow in the last two inches and that would fool the sensor that there was something in the windows path. I didn't want them tearing into a brand new vehicle so I waited to see if it would loosen up with use, and it did. After 3 months it worked fine. until... the weather has been in the 30's and now that window slowly creeps up, the motor sounds under-powered. It will go into the dealer sometime soon, otherwise when the motor fails I might be stuck with a window partially closed. So... you are not the only one having this issue.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had a similar experience. Built 12/19, purchased 1/20. Since day one the drivers window would reverse 1 inch from the top, the motor would slow in the last two inches and that would fool the sensor that there was something in the windows path. I didn't want them tearing into a brand new vehicle so I waited to see if it would loosen up with use, and it did. After 3 months it worked fine. until... the weather has been in the 30's and now that window slowly creeps up, the motor sounds under-powered. It will go into the dealer sometime soon, otherwise when the motor fails I might be stuck with a window partially cl
closed. So... you are not the only one having this issue.
On the plus side, because of that safety feature, we won't be stuck with windows that don't roll up later on I suppose. I am going to look at it this weekend, I called the dealership but there weren't any service advisers available to talk to and they haven't called me back so I will just deal with it.. It will roll up eventually - looking at it more it is when it's at the end of it's movement that it happens, and the front part of the window seems to creep up independently of the rest of the window during it's final movements. I am afraid something is broken already.. I will keep you all posted.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,457 Posts
Question for the window-issue-having guys. Do you regularly garage your car or no? Wondering if the rubber in the track is deteriorating causing the window to bind. Fortunately, I'm able to garage my car (with much effort in cleaning out the garage when I got it). Environmental wear is something to take seriously. Along with the paint finish, treatment of rubber should be a regular maintenance job. The door seals of my last outdoor-kept Civic deteriorated so badly that I had mushrooms growing on the rear floormats due to water incursion. With the window rolled down, is the material lining the track still somewhat pliable, or has it hardened?

·
Registered
77 Posts
My previous car (Honda civic 2006) had a similar problem. The problem arose mainly in those cars that often drove with an open window. Dust and dirt got into the inside of the rubber seal guide. When closed, the glass was warped and the system perceived this as an attraction and lowered the glass.

The solution was simple - the guiding glass seals were cleaned and lubricated with silicone grease from the spray. This is how Honda recommended to solve this problem (there was a separate document for dealers). Cleaning was carried out by wrapping a screwdriver with a piece of rag and slightly moistening with silicone grease. Periodically displacing a dirty rag to a clean place.
It is necessary to wipe the seal very carefully so as not to damage it. After cleaning, apply a little grease to the inside of the seal guide.

But in your case, it is better to contact your dealer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My previous car (Honda civic 2006) had a similar problem. The problem arose mainly in those cars that often drove with an open window. Dust and dirt got into the inside of the rubber seal guide. When closed, the glass was warped and the system perceived this as an attraction and lowered the glass.

The solution was simple - the guiding glass seals were cleaned and lubricated with silicone grease from the spray. This is how Honda recommended to solve this problem (there was a separate document for dealers). Cleaning was carried out by wrapping a screwdriver with a piece of rag and slightly moistening with silicone grease. Periodically displacing a dirty rag to a clean place.
It is necessary to wipe the seal very carefully so as not to damage it. After cleaning, apply a little grease to the inside of the seal guide.

But in your case, it is better to contact your dealer.
I'm going to try the grease first.. I have some actual lithium WD 40 I am going to try. I don't want to go to the dealer if I can help it. I didn't know how bad they were until after I had to have a few problems fixed by them that they actually caused (long story)..

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm going to try the grease first.. I have some actual lithium WD 40 I am going to try. I don't want to go to the dealer if I can help it. I didn't know how bad they were until after I had to have a few problems fixed by them that they actually caused (long story)..
use silicone. Rubber loves silicone)))

·
Registered
12 Posts
A brief, but not final, update on my experience with this. Today it was 15° and once rolled down the window refused to go back up more than a few inches. Once I warmed the car up in the garage the window went back up, albeit quite slowly.The dealer looked it over, said they had seen of few of these, and ordered a door run channel for replacement. They gave the run channel a spray of silicone as a temp fix and the window operated close to normal.
I could have done a simple silicone spray myself but seeing as how the window has been slow since day one it seems best for them to come up with a remedy other than lubing it every few months.
I'll update once the run channel is replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts