Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

Administrator
When it's cold out (below 39 F), as a normal human we turn-on the heater. Our insight Touring-trim drastically is reduced in mpg. (77mph gives me 32mpg) 馃槥 yikes. You have to drive 65mph & below to get that 52mpg.
You're right. As a normal human we turn on the heater; but as a hybrid mpg optimizers, we use techniques like "30 second blast on high" mentioned by @Wifey'sInsight, passive heating, and jacket/mittens inside the car mentioned by @hasarad to stay warm while maximizing fuel efficiency. :)

Registered
^
You serious? I paid close to $30k for my Touring, im not gonna change my routine in staying comfortable in below 38F weather...lolol.
You actually want me to put gloves and winter hat on and keep the heater off (intermittently) to save gas?!?!..HAHAHA

Registered
^
You serious? I paid close to $30k for my Touring, im not gonna change my routine in staying comfortable in below 38F weather...lolol.
You actually want me to put gloves and winter hat on and keep the heater off (intermittently)..HAHAHA
To be fair, I never asked anyone to use the method I choose to use. On days where my fianc茅 and I are both in the car, the heat is on all of the time.

I'm actually getting ready to see if I can't do some science. I'm wondering if the cabin heat, warms the battery pack and gets it to a more efficient temperature range, therefor increasing fuel economy (obviously over a set number of miles).

For short commutes, using the heat is just adding insult to the mpg injury. I can't get too cold in 15 minutes, lol.

Administrator
^
You actually want me to put gloves and winter hat on and keep the heater off (intermittently) to save gas?!?!..HAHAHA
Just adding context on different strategies, since there are trade-offs as related to your original reason for starting the thread (i.e. choosing high speed or high climate control use in a hybrid = mpg hit). It's ultimately your choice on how to manage the car, but realistically can't have it all and/or unfair to complain when those choices counteract fuel efficiency. :)

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
Passive heat technique + heated seats should make it comfortable enough in the Insight Touring without needing the heater on. When I had my Ford Fusion I rarely needed the heater due to heated seats. :smile:

Registered
Passive heat technique + heated seats should make it comfortable enough in the Insight Touring without needing the heater on. When I had my Ford Fusion I rarely needed the heater due to heated seats. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/img]
Gonna disagree on that. Heated seats are good for the back end but passive heat can lead to very cold floors and a generally uncomfortable cabin in temps at 20 to 30 degrees. Face and hands can be a problem too. Gloves are too bulky for me to use the sound system effectively with.

Super Moderator
Gonna disagree on that. Heated seats are good for the back end but passive heat can lead to very cold floors and a generally uncomfortable cabin in temps at 20 to 30 degrees. Face and hands can be a problem too. Gloves are too bulky for me to use the sound system effectively with.
I drive with one hand and place the other on the heated seat if I get too cold. I also place a few of those hand warmer packets in my shoe before heading out. I've the vents positioned properly towards my face for the passive heat. That worked for me when I had the Fusion but now that I have the Insight EX with no heated seats I will use the heater.

Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
If I keep the passive heat set to the floor and defroster, I get too hot. It really does work.

Registered
If I keep the passive heat set to the floor and defroster, I get too hot. It really does work.
Again I'll agree to disagree. That sounds weird 馃

I ran into this problem (getting too hot) when temps were in the 40 to 50 range, but once the temps dipped into 30 or below range the floor would inevitably get very chilly no matter what setting I did. I also found that my face and upper body would get chilled off and on depending on the speed I was driving. I alternated the settings from floor/defrost to floor/vents to keep my hands warm since I aimed the vents at my hands.

Also now that I'm using heat a bit, I have found the mileage difference to be 1.5 to 2 mpg difference overall so far. This is very preliminary though. What was interesting is I was running in the 49mpg range using passive heat when the temps were still in the mid 40's, but I filled up a new tank of gas at Walmart for the first time ever, and with the same temps and passive heating, the car wouldn't budge much more than 46mpg. I think I just hit my first tank of winter formulated gasoline. If this is true, winter formulations make a massive difference all their own in mpg during cold driving.

A lot of these observations have to come with the following caveat. I am a diabetic and have significant neuropathy in my extremeties. So, I am more prone to being bothered by the cold. That and annoying people on the forums. 馃槈

I kid! I kid!

Super Moderator
I can handle extreme cold better than extreme heat. :)

Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
Again I'll agree to disagree. That sounds weird 馃

I ran into this problem (getting too hot) when temps were in the 40 to 50 range, but once the temps dipped into 30 or below range the floor would inevitably get very chilly no matter what setting I did. I also found that my face and upper body would get chilled off and on depending on the speed I was driving. I alternated the settings from floor/defrost to floor/vents to keep my hands warm since I aimed the vents at my hands.

Also now that I'm using heat a bit, I have found the mileage difference to be 1.5 to 2 mpg difference overall so far. This is very preliminary though. What was interesting is I was running in the 49mpg range using passive heat when the temps were still in the mid 40's, but I filled up a new tank of gas at Walmart for the first time ever, and with the same temps and passive heating, the car wouldn't budge much more than 46mpg. I think I just hit my first tank of winter formulated gasoline. If this is true, winter formulations make a massive difference all their own in mpg during cold driving.

A lot of these observations have to come with the following caveat. I am a diabetic and have significant neuropathy in my extremeties. So, I am more prone to being bothered by the cold. That and annoying people on the forums. 馃槈

I kid! I kid!
I would add that I start with a garaged car and have only used passive heat down to about 30 degrees. I am constantly moving on my drive, so that helps. We'll see if I still boast about passive heat when it's 10 degrees out. Regardless, my emergency mittens are on the back seat.

Registered
I can't handle either. Something about being a.... Emmm... Uhhh... fat doofus. 馃お
I prefer to consider myself rather "well rounded" instead:smile_big:!

Registered
I can't handle either. Something about being a.... Emmm... Uhhh... fat doofus. 馃お
I prefer to consider myself rather "well rounded" instead[img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/img]!
Or better yet.. we're not fat.. we're squishy! 馃檮

Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
Fluffy!

Administrator
It all depends on the RH%. In general, the windows clears in 5-10 minutes if it does fog initially. I'm always moving, so passive heat seems to work well for me. Like @andrew28 stated, cleaning the window itself is a good place to start.
I still have fogging issues depending on humidity, and am going to start tracking it in addition to temperature to determine what conditions passive heating works without fogging.

I'd prefer to know before driving whether conditions are 'severe' enough to warrant using cabin heat over passive heating, rather than suffering and adjusting mid-drive.

Would be interested in comparing observations with others on this as they come up...

Registered
I still have fogging issues depending on humidity, and am going to start tracking it in addition to temperature to determine what conditions passive heating works without fogging.

I'd prefer to know before driving whether conditions are 'severe' enough to warrant using cabin heat over passive heating, rather than suffering and adjusting mid-drive.

Would be interested in comparing observations with others on this as they come up...
Waiting for another string of super cold days. I think it's safe to say that if the battery pack temperature is below 20*F, cabin heat has a very negligible affect on mpg. I still choose the run car for 5 minutes, no climate control, if possible, and at the moment I'm toying with setting it even lower than before, and leaving it on auto. (60-62)

Administrator
Waiting for another string of super cold days. I think it's safe to say that if the battery pack temperature is below 20*F, cabin heat has a very negligible affect on mpg. I still choose the run car for 5 minutes, no climate control, if possible, and at the moment I'm toying with setting it even lower than before, and leaving it on auto. (60-62)
Is <20*F the threshold dependent on length of drive? I was kind of thinking the opposite... that cabin heat would be more helpful/impactful on battery pack if temperatures are below freezing, since the battery charges/discharges more slowly at low temps.

Registered
Is <20*F the threshold dependent on length of drive? I was kind of thinking the opposite... that cabin heat would be more helpful/impactful on battery pack if temperatures are below freezing, since the battery charges/discharges more slowly at low temps.
To clarify, yes I was suggesting using cabin heat below 20*F. Once the cabin is warmed, I switch back to passive heating. As far as length of drive, my commute is short, but takes roughly 25 minutes. I probably use heat for 10 or so minutes.

Negligible meaning that using cabin heat vs not, doesn't seem to equate to less mpg below 20*F.

Reactions: Moviemike

Registered
Just an update, in single digit temperatures, there is almost no difference from cold start with or without heat usage. Drive to work was 25.6 mpg, drive home without heat 28.2 mpg. My drive to work is usually 3-4 mpg less due to terrain.

PS I don't recommend not using heat at these temperatures, the drive home I was fighting with a windshield that was freezing over on the inside. I'm also sure that tire pressure was a factor, the last time I checked tire pressure it was ~45* ambient temperature.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts